Old 06-28-2018, 07:49 PM
Find More Posts by Keith Cannon
Only Amateurs Measure First
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Apr 2016
1,389 Posts
Discussion
Colorado Larmar Steen Event

Come Join us for a fun weekend flying sequences!

The folks at MAS are hosting their annual Lamar Steen Commemorative Challenge.

For registration please go to http://www.mini-iac.com/Event-Details/PID/674

Depending on pilot turnout we may try and do a 1 day contest if the pilots agree.

Camping is allowed. Field is open on Friday from 10AM for practice!

Hope to see everyone there!

-Keith
Keith Cannon is online now Find More Posts by Keith Cannon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-29-2018, 11:15 PM
Find More Posts by WangoTango
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
4,896 Posts
A little story for ya!

A bunch of years ago some local modelers were asked to put on some demo flights at Ellington AFB for the Houston Airshow. After the Tora Tora bunch put on their re-enactment we launched some scale, sport etc
models and proceeded to put on a good show. I had a Brishagella Skybolt with a smokin’ good smoke system in it. Bored some good holes in the sky for about ten minutes and followed it up with a smooth landing. Loved all the applause! I was kneeling on the pavement next to the Skybolt giving it a good wipe-down with Windex and paper towels when I heard this voice come from behind: “Pretty good looking Stove Bolt ya have there.....” I turned to see a pretty good sized fellow standing there admiring my bipe
I thanked him for the compliment and responded to him by telling him I didn’t think Mr. Steen would think much of his name choice for my Skybolt. He leaned down and gave me a business card and let me know that he thought Mr. Steen wouldn’t mind his name choice...... I read the card and it was none other than Lamar Steen! I still have that card somewheres. One of my neater aviation moments! He was a really nice fella and he even autographed one of my I Struts on my model......
WT
WangoTango is offline Find More Posts by WangoTango
Last edited by WangoTango; 07-01-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:14 AM
Find More Posts by Keith Cannon
Only Amateurs Measure First
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Apr 2016
1,389 Posts
Good Story WT.

Mr. Steen was way before my time (I believe he passed away when I was 1 year old) but what he did for the community and aviation is amazing! I have a feeling a lot of the guys at MAS attended high school with him in the 60's/70's and might have even helped build his first prototype.
Keith Cannon is online now Find More Posts by Keith Cannon

Quick Reply