Old 04-06-2014, 09:04 AM
Find More Posts by jstyle13
Is it time to go fly again yet
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Sep 2013
86 Posts
Help!
Repair or Scrap my 50cc Yak?? ***UPDATE***

I know this should probably be posted in the Crash threads but there's not a lot of traffic there and I wanted to get some opinions. This is my first big gasser and had only put about 6 flights on it before this crap happened this weekend. After saving up for several months and parting with some guns to raise the funds this has been really hard to take, but I'm not the first guy this has happened to and won't be the last.

I was on my 2nd flight of the day when I did a mild tumble and the DLE 55 decided to quit (it's not broken in and I probably should have been taking it easier). With the strong winds I didn't make it back to the smooth grass and had to set it down into the tall grass off the end of the runway. Apparently it caught a big tuft of grass with the left main gear and as you can see it ripped the left main backwards into the fuse. The wheel pant and canopy are damaged as well and will need to be replaced. The firewall is fine and the only real damage is contained in the gear mounting and the areas around it. The plywood gear mounting plate is cracked all the way across as well as some of the plywood where the fuel tank mounts. And there's quite a bit of outer balsa and ultracoat damage.

Do you guys think based on the pics that a repair can be accomplished or should I scrap it and call AW and see about a replacement fuse. I've built a couple scratch kits and have your basic workshop tools (drill press, band saw, dremel, drills etc) and I'm fairly competent but I'm worried about having to gut the airplane and the long term strength and finished look of the plane after a repair is attempted.

I'm sure there are some of you out there that will look at this and say it's an easy fix but I've only done some light repair so far. I intend to call the guys at AW tomorrow and see what my options are. I'm assuming it's gonna be pretty pricey to order a new fuse, but I don't know if you can order the internal wood pieces from AW like you can from Pilot RC. If it was just superficial or damage to the outer thin balsa I'd already be working on the repair, but I'm a little nervous about all the damage to the heavier light ply all through the middle of the plane and whether or not I can repair that to the level it should be to fly the plane the way it was designed. Let me know what ya'll think.

Thanks!

JJ
jstyle13 is offline Find More Posts by jstyle13
Last edited by jstyle13; 04-22-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-06-2014, 09:26 AM
Find More Posts by JohnBer
Old Grouch
USA, WA, Lynden
Joined Dec 2010
1,902 Posts
fix it! I lost the crank bearing in my DA 50 at the wrong time and all i could was pancake my 50cc sukhoi in. the repair was not that hard, just time consuming. It is definitely repairable.
JohnBer is offline Find More Posts by JohnBer
Old 04-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Find More Posts by Butcher
Joined Jul 2013
229 Posts
you have three choices
1. scrap it (not recommended)
2. quickie repair (won't look like new but a free plane is a free plane)
3. Nice repair (gonna take some time but will look new)

I usually prefer quickie repair and if the plane makes it till the winter and I still like it I will do a better repair.

From what I can see the plane looks very repairable.
Butcher is offline Find More Posts by Butcher
Old 04-06-2014, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by 2robinhood
Move the rudder what way ?????
United States, NJ, Egg Harbor City
Joined Aug 2006
3,242 Posts
Yep, Fix it.
2robinhood is offline Find More Posts by 2robinhood
Old 04-06-2014, 10:07 AM
Find More Posts by Extra nuts
Extra Extras, I'm all about it
United States, UT, St George
Joined Apr 2007
2,536 Posts
Fix it!
Extra nuts is offline Find More Posts by Extra nuts
Old 04-06-2014, 10:15 AM
Find More Posts by krxprt
United States, MI, Davisburg
Joined Jan 2011
1,295 Posts
Fix it! That's nothin.
Make sure you tune the engine before you fly it again or look for the reason why it quit.
krxprt is offline Find More Posts by krxprt
Old 04-06-2014, 11:32 AM
Find More Posts by edwinracme
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2013
121 Posts
fix it I have broke the gear out time and time again just epoxy and plywood
edwinracme is offline Find More Posts by edwinracme
Old 04-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Find More Posts by tallone66
Joined Dec 2011
268 Posts
Fix it. Very easy repair to do, and you will have a chance to strengthen if needed.
tallone66 is offline Find More Posts by tallone66
Old 04-06-2014, 01:19 PM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,617 Posts
Tis but a flesh wound!
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 04-06-2014, 03:22 PM
Find More Posts by 5150flyer
Avoiding Fake News
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2007
1,748 Posts
Fix it!! I bet when you are done you will be the only guy that knows what happened.
5150flyer is offline Find More Posts by 5150flyer
Old 04-06-2014, 05:49 PM
Find More Posts by RCCFanatic
Doo It! Doo It!
Joined Nov 2013
129 Posts
I rebuilt an extra with way more damage than that. Completly fixable!
RCCFanatic is offline Find More Posts by RCCFanatic
Old 04-07-2014, 11:17 AM
Joined Sep 2013
86 Posts
Well apparently the consensus is to fix it, so I'll give that a try as a new fuse is almost $400 and a whole new plane is $599. I already placed the order for the wheel pants and a new canopy ($34/64) and will start on the repairs when I get home. I've also got one of the more experienced builders from my club coming over to help me get started.

My biggest concern is the main plywood brace that runs across the fuse from gear brace to gear brace that you can see is cracked and bent all the way across. I've gotta get that piece out and replaced unless I can bend/epoxy it back in place without causing further damage but I'm not sure I can do that. What's the best way to get that out of there without ripping the plane apart? If I'm able to get it out in one piece would it be ok to reshape it and glue it back in assuming that it fits correctly or fabricate a whole new piece?

I have a feeling once I get working on this it won't be as bad as I've made it out to be in my head, but right now it seems a little intimidating.

Thanks for all the help so far!

JJ
Old 04-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Joined Sep 2013
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krxprt View Post
Fix it! That's nothin.
Make sure you tune the engine before you fly it again or look for the reason why it quit.
That's my second issue I've gotta tackle and I've forgotten to dwell on because I've been busy worrying about the repair. Is that most likely a tuning issue? I went back and looked at all the fuel lines and they were fine with gas still in the line to the carb. I've only put less than a gallon through the engine on 30:1 and its been running really smooth up till it quit. Do unbroken in engines tend to die out more till they get past that 5 gallon mark? Should I keep it in high idle while in flight till it's more broken in since it quit during a tumble at idle?

After I get it repaired I'll fire up and retune the motor. I'll be taking it easy for a while till the motor gets more time on it.

Thanks!

JJ
Old 04-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Find More Posts by Xtremehuntin
Terron
United States, CO, Castle Rock
Joined Sep 2013
137 Posts
I'm flying a new DLE 20 in my sbach and it is taking forever to break in. When I pull verticle it seems to cough a little bit. It is getting better the more I fly it. My dad did tell me to fly it at a higher idle and that seems to work a lot better. I just have to give it a couple clicks of down throttle trim when I land is all.
Xtremehuntin is offline Find More Posts by Xtremehuntin
Old 04-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Find More Posts by wfield0455
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Oct 2007
2,858 Posts
I avoid gluing broken wood. If the wood is cracked, especially something that the landing gear is attached to, find a way to remove it and replace it with a new piece of wood. I'll often end up cutting the broken piece into many smaller pieces that I can remove easily without damaging the surrounding areas. Also, don't be afraid to neatly remove covering and sheeting back to the next former if that is what is needed to install the new part or to be able to properly inspect the damaged area. Your plane really doesn't look very badly damaged and with a bit of effort you can have it good as new. The hardest part is getting started..
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455

Quick Reply