Old 11-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroAcro View Post
My work here is done.

Yeah, feels great to hit one clean, but they also cause a lot of annoyance when they don't go well. I suck at vertical up snaps since I don't do many of them. They don't show up in Advanced...yet. Although one of the '14 CIVA Advanced proposals had a 3/4 up snap in it. Will be very interesting if that one gets approved. Some mashed together snap clips...

Just Snaps - YouTube
That vertical snap wasn't THAT bad. You only undershot by a few degrees. I don't think I'd ever call landing the Pitts "fun" per se, but it was always an adventure.
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Find More Posts by RetroAcro
Joined Feb 2010
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker View Post
I don't think I'd ever call landing the Pitts "fun" per se, but it was always an adventure.
Aw man, that's half the fun of flying a Pitts! I never get tired of doing this. I'll do a few on every flight just for the helluvit.

Pitts Landing (0 min 48 sec)
RetroAcro is offline Find More Posts by RetroAcro
Old 11-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,567 Posts
Yeah.. there is definitely something fun and exciting about falling out of the sky like an anvil only to land gently on the mains and have it do its little dance... Great video!
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker
Old 11-07-2013, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by Pistolera
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2006
4,242 Posts
Haha...couldn't hear the "dogs barking" in the vid....musta been a greaser .

A Haigh tailwheel helps take some of the excitement out of it
Pistolera is offline Find More Posts by Pistolera
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 11-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Find More Posts by RetroAcro
Joined Feb 2010
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolera View Post
A Haigh tailwheel helps take some of the excitement out of it
And a shimmying Lang puts more excitement back in...even more fun when the whole tire comes off. Never flown a Haigh/Raven locking tailwheel. I understand they make the landing roll more stable, but are more of a PIA to taxi.
RetroAcro is offline Find More Posts by RetroAcro
Old 11-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Find More Posts by Pistolera
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2006
4,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroAcro View Post
And a shimmying Lang puts more excitement back in...even more fun when the whole tire comes off. Never flown a Haigh/Raven locking tailwheel. I understand they make the landing roll more stable, but are more of a PIA to taxi.
Like ya need more fun on roll-out, eh .

I assume the Raven is like a Haigh? I loved my Haigh. It allowed the tail to sit a little lower which increased the wings AOA about 1 deg or so, which equates to slightly lower landing speed and much better 3-point contact at stall. Got far more greasers with it than the stock Maule.

I never had any problems with taxi. Gentle S turns could easily be made with it locked, and even more aggressive ones with a blip of throttle. You only unlocked it when you were slowed way down and ready for manuevering around the ramp area. I set up mine with a side pull cable in cockpit. Pull and would unlock it, but when I released the cable as soon as it straightened out it would re-lock again. That way you couldn't forget to lock it prior to TO, as it would automatically lock when aligning the plane on the runway.
Pistolera is offline Find More Posts by Pistolera
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)

Quick Reply