Old 05-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Find More Posts by Paul5992
Red Wing MN USA
Joined Jun 2007
930 Posts
Re: old wreck i had...thanks Spektrum fail safe crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66stang View Post
I couldn't tell, but on my plane I have a fromeco Wolverine with two a123 going in and two out puts to seperate locations on the RX. I also use another a123 for the ignition. Now once you get a flight on your system. Charge it up and see how much Mah you put back into the battery. This is very important to know how much each flight uses. Also if you go hard core slamin the sticks 3D, but on the test flight took it easy, you will not get a true reading of what you use. You need to fly the plane the way you normally fly it. Also take these reading for awhile to see the use. Hope this helps!
On my R922 there is two separate 16awg inputs. Then there is a single fail safe soft switch. It works very well. I am trying to figure out the A123 thing thanks for the in put. What about the antenna placement.
Paul5992 is offline Find More Posts by Paul5992
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Find More Posts by Tired Old Man
Suspended Account
California
Joined Jul 2006
4,329 Posts

You've got plenty of battery power for sure with the pair of A123's. About 100 amps of burst and likely about 6 safe flights at a continuous 6.6v. The reason I say only six is because with an almost identical battery arrangement I find that after the fourth flight the consumption seems to go up.

If you encounter ignition problems or engine cuts take a look at the 42% cut off. Some have been having problems with them. The tank looks good to go.

As for receiver orientations just keep track of what the system tells you. I'm presuming you have the data recorder that JR has for their systems. I didn't note how the power is being fed to the receiver. If you're running a pair of switches (of course you are) and putting at least two power leads into it you won't have a probem. Smart fly switches have a pair of power output leads each but I don't know that you can input 16 amps direct to your receiver.

Like 66Stang noted, track your battery consumption. Do one good flight and charge. Then do two or three flights and charge. Take some notes to record the consumption per flight per battery. Then increase the number of flights per charge by one at a time to see where you are coming out. Limit flights before charge to no more than about 65-70 of the battery capacity, but know what you've been averaging befroe going that far on a charge.
Tired Old Man is offline Find More Posts by Tired Old Man
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 05-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts

Anyone else s'prised this thread has gone on so far???
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 05-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Find More Posts by jongurley
Vess Propellers!
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
3,475 Posts

I am very surprised,, every time I have opened a thread like this it will get shutdown within a 24 hour period,,
jongurley is offline Find More Posts by jongurley
Old 05-07-2009, 12:25 AM
Find More Posts by Fierce
United States, NY, Farmingdale
Joined Sep 2008
143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
need to check the impedance of the battery,
Oh great the batt can't get it up now. Does Pfizer have pill for that too?
Fierce is offline Find More Posts by Fierce
Old 05-07-2009, 12:29 AM
Find More Posts by rking
Manila, Philippines
Joined Mar 2006
188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiosk View Post
this was 6 months ago...AR7000 failed, went into failsafe for no apparent reason, was using JR NiMH 6V pack at the time, I recall testing voltage under load and was plenty, was only second flite....

.but in this case, this video was taken over 15min after the incident and the TX and RX were never more than 500ft away from each other.... inexplicable for such a complete radio lockout to be based just on antenna location. and as i said, to my shocking surprise horizon actually faulted the TX not the RX, so you go figure
kiosk: you say that the receiver failed going into failsafe for no apparent reason, the positioning of your antennas could have been the cause of your crash in this situation. i don't know about your video but in my mind, the receiver could have been damaged as a result of the crash and having the tx and rx next to it does not matter. i am just stating the obvious here and would like to make it clear that what i am saying is completely theoretical and that i could still be wrong.
rking is offline Find More Posts by rking
Old 05-07-2009, 02:21 AM
Find More Posts by nordqk
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jun 2006
588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul5992 View Post
I see we have a gathering of the minds in here so could you guys check my stuff to make sure it's right? Any advise is welcome.
Your configuration looks OK. Just remember to have the receivers oriented in the X, Y and Z axis of the plane. That way there will always be one antenna in the same polarization as the Tx antenna no matter what the orientation of the plane. Also remember to try and keep the Rx's 6" away from metal, carbon and the fuel tank. Typically you will find out if you have a Rx too close to those materials if you check the data log after a flight with lots of changes in aircraft orientation (rolls, uplines, knife edge, downlines, etc.)
nordqk is offline Find More Posts by nordqk
Old 05-07-2009, 05:50 AM
Find More Posts by FENWAYFLYER
Look at this stupid thing
Smyrna,De
Joined Jan 2008
1,015 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul5992 View Post
I see we have a gathering of the minds in here so could you guys check my stuff to make sure it's right? Any advise is welcome.
YouTube - inside my 300

Unless someone else here has magical powers without a data logger I can't say for sure if your setup would be up to par for 30.00 the data logger will tell exactly what need to know.
FENWAYFLYER is offline Find More Posts by FENWAYFLYER
Old 05-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Find More Posts by kiosk
coņo carajo
WBP, FL
Joined Jun 2008
183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowkey3D View Post
I watched the video. No way would I use a 4 cell for a spectrum receiver.
that was the ignition battery u saw, as the voltage display shows later there were over 6v on the RX battery, no way a 4cell can get that voltage.
kiosk is offline Find More Posts by kiosk
Old 05-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Find More Posts by robertp17
United States, MD, Warwick
Joined Sep 2007
1,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
Anyone else s'prised this thread has gone on so far???
Very surprised actually, especially when the product in question is made by ( Blank ) , Starts with an H and rhymes with verizon..
robertp17 is offline Find More Posts by robertp17
Old 05-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Find More Posts by helismash
Hey! Who put the ground there?
Gloversville, NY
Joined Dec 2007
220 Posts

Lost an airplane a couple of weeks ago on a Spektrum. Tested another (smaller) airplane and it was acting like it was getting hit. I sent it back to Horizon 3 weeks ago and they still have not looked at it. Borrowed a friends Spektrum and it is working fine. I'm thinking or going to 50MHz and letting them iron out the bugs a bit more on 2.4. I would rather not lose another model. Just my 2 cents worth.
helismash is offline Find More Posts by helismash
Old 05-16-2009, 11:43 PM
Find More Posts by 2walla
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
3,095 Posts

Hey T.O.M. what were you saying about the 42% ignition cutoff causing problems? I was looking at buying a couple of them . I did notice that my ar9000 in my yak did not appear to like a smart fly equalizer- They definatly don't like reversing y harneses.
2walla is offline Find More Posts by 2walla
Old 06-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Find More Posts by cavebear
Let the Next Crusade Begin
Donegal, PA
Joined May 2006
116 Posts

I can't believe I just read all that

I hope this thread is waterproof.........cause it's a real pi$$er
cavebear is offline Find More Posts by cavebear
Old 06-10-2009, 05:03 AM
Find More Posts by helismash
Hey! Who put the ground there?
Gloversville, NY
Joined Dec 2007
220 Posts

Just an update to an earlier post. I got my DX 7 back from Horizon. They replaced my battery and antenna. I was told that the battery was intermitant and that the antenna had been turned past the stops. OK, all is fine now and it range checks a lot better. There was no charge for the repair. (Thanks Horizon!!)
OK, here are a few odd things though, My battery was replaced, I now have a 2500 NiMh instead of a 1500. I wonder if they are putting 2500's in the new ones? I also noticed that now my range checks are much better than before. I compaired against a friends DX7 and mine range checks much better than his. (Re bound to the same airplane, just a different TX) The last thing I noticed was that when I got my radio back, all of the model memories were in tact but, nothing was bound anymore. I did not expect the models I had been flying on my friends DX7 to be bound but the ones I did not fly needed to be re bound. Anyone know why this may be? Anyway, everything is fine now.
helismash is offline Find More Posts by helismash
Old 06-10-2009, 07:31 AM
Find More Posts by Lowkey3D
Gone fly'in
Joined Jan 2006
756 Posts

I remember my first DX7 right out of the box had a bad battery because of the connector/cable
pinch. I took it back to my LHS and they had another spectrum with a similar issue. The third
radio was good.. Must have been a bad batch..
Lowkey3D is offline Find More Posts by Lowkey3D

Quick Reply