Old 02-24-2015, 08:42 PM
Find More Posts by yorkiepap
Oldprop still flyin'......
United States, PA, Delmont
Joined Mar 2013
25 Posts
Build Log
Dornier DO-27....

I spotted this very nice & very scale Dornier DO-27 while perusing BH's website last summer & "had to have it", as the lust overwhelms at times, & the size was perfect with a 1600mm(63") W/S. When it arrived & unboxing it, I noticed the very heavy "feel" of the dense foam. It was very well packed with no damage anywhere. I watched Michael Heer's assembly video on RCG & the simplicity was ideal.

After a complete evaluation, I decided to do some mods I felt would improve the ground/grass handling since our club field & my home field are well-groomed grass. All the minor issues were quite easy to rectify & produced a much better finished model IMO. Below are the easy fixes I incorporated with pics assoc. w/each step...1-20.

1) I added an alum. lift tab for the battery hatch as it was stuck with probably some excess glue. A very thin machinist 6" ruler slid in the seam separated the hatch from the fuse. No problems now.
2) I balanced the almost perfect prop w/a pc. of 1/4" Scotch tape.
3) I enlarged the LG tab holes with a .092(2.34mm) drill so the screw heads wouldn't break off as Chinese screws are a bit soft & then screwed them in to get a start.
4) The LG mount on the fuse was plastic & I decided a good layer of 30min epoxy would reinforce the area & strengthen the plastic.
5) The LG cover screws are a hex head & not a Phillips....be aware.
6) After bending the LG to widen the stance a bit, some removal of plastic was necessary to re-fit the LG into the LG covers.
7) I decided to use Dubro steel LG tabs instead of the plastic ones supplied.
8/9) Some light sanding was necessary on the fuse for the LG angle change with the LG cover fit to fuse. Painted the exhaust pipes flat black.
10) The rudder clevis hit the elevator when full left & full down....cut a small clearance notch.
11) CG marked at 80mm w/Sharpie.
12) Battery location for correct CG using a 4000mah batt..
13) Cut & fit an additional forward batt. support.
14) Plywood epoxied in place & Velcro added.
15/16/17) All finished ready for maiden. I changed the tires to 4" dia. for the grass.
18/19) C/L measurement w/LG mod= 14.5".
20) The stock LG wheel collet set screws had to be drilled out due to, apparently, red Loctite. I used Dubro 7/32 collets drilled on the lathe with a letter "C"(.240) drill that fit perfectly.

The only other condition needing attention were the (2) CF wing rods that were so tight, the wing halves would not latch in place. A piece of 120grit sandpaper wrapped around each rod with some gentle sanding allowed the fit to be nice & snug with no slop. Ready for maiden this spring.

Attached are Michael Heers assembly video & another vid of the plane in flight.

Denny

Banana Hobby's Dornier DO 27 Assembly (9 min 17 sec)

Dornier Do27 von Staufenbiel im FMT Test (2 min 57 sec)
yorkiepap is offline Find More Posts by yorkiepap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply