Old 06-01-2016, 10:58 AM
Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
EXTREME FLIGHT CEO
Cumming, Georgia
Joined Jan 2006
1,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Not at all, allmost all my fleet is EF, it is not EF in which I do not trust it is the Chinese, and there is only so much efficiency that can be rung out of an electric motor.

Like I said, only time can tell if this motor is the in between motor the electric guys have been wishing for. There is currently some great offerings out there and there is difference between a hand and machine wound motor, even Hacker a very reptuable company have trouble getting consistent kV motors with their machine wounds.

My words are that of constructive criticism and a hope of finding that perfect motor, EF have proven air frames but an electric motor is somewhat a very different beast. A 10mm shaft is definitely promising, let us hope these motors live up to what what the guys want, they certainly look the goods!
We have been in the electric motor/esc business for over 10 years. Our smaller Torque motors and Airboss ESCs have proven themselves to be top notch products over a long period of time and have been very consistent, reliable and powerful. As I stated we have been immersed in this project for 2 years including multiple trips to our factory for R&D and lots of testing stateside. Our knowledge of what it takes to make our airframes perform as they should has been the guiding force in this project.
EXTREME FLIGHT is offline Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-01-2016, 11:14 AM
Find More Posts by Marty_Mcfly - Ozzy
Suspended Account
Joined May 2016
33 Posts
I can understand your heart being very close to the product, I am not a fanboy of any company, I also hope the product not only goes very well for you but for the the RC community.

There are a few hurdles to overcome and a season of flying, the 10mm shaft should be able to handle the loads of a 22x10, this is something other offerings had trouble with as an 8mm shaft and the 22x10 could not handle the load over time.
Marty_Mcfly - Ozzy is offline Find More Posts by Marty_Mcfly - Ozzy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 06-01-2016, 11:36 AM
EXTREME FLIGHT CEO
Cumming, Georgia
Joined Jan 2006
1,364 Posts
I'd like to think we've overcome most of these hurdles having tested the motors in airframes, cowled, both in the heat of summer and cold of winter for the past 2 years. Ben has been beating on them in the brutal Texas heat.
Of course I can talk until I'm blue in the face, the real test will be when the motors are released to the modeling community at large which will happen very soon.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by Nutball
United States, TN, Mt Juliet
Joined Jul 2014
326 Posts
Would the 8mm shafts just snap out of nowhere?
I wonder if a hollow 10mm would hold up better and save weight, but the estra work in making it hollow is probably not worth the weight saved.

Maybe shaft replacement should be a standard maintenance thing for every X amount of flying days. Of course it helps when the shaft is easy to change out. Many seem to be held in only with a clip and grub screw, but I've found an incredible amount of friction holds them in too. I had to use a torch and hammer to get a 12mm shaft in and out of one of my big motors (the rotor had a broken magnet, so I swapped the rotor). If the hub is the main source of driving power then you don't need to make the shaft too hard to change.
Nutball is offline Find More Posts by Nutball
Old 06-01-2016, 11:46 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2016
33 Posts
Only problem is not many fliers will have the throttle management Jase does, but I am sure you have some less then perfect fliers, like me an and you, no doubt with crap throttle management testing the power plant.

I am happy for the new range, my torque motors have been pretty good over the years, hopefully these are good too.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:50 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2016
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutball View Post
Would the 8mm shafts just snap out of nowhere?
I wonder if a hollow 10mm would hold up better and save weight, but the estra work in making it hollow is probably not worth the weight saved.

Maybe shaft replacement should be a standard maintenance thing for every X amount of flying days. Of course it helps when the shaft is easy to change out. Many seem to be held in only with a clip and grub screw, but I've found an incredible amount of friction holds them in too. I had to use a torch and hammer to get a 12mm shaft in and out of one of my big motors (the rotor had a broken magnet, so I swapped the rotor). If the hub is the main source of driving power then you don't need to make the shaft too hard to change.
Depends on your flying style and prop size, 8mm shafts have failed spinning the 22x10, some get more longevity then others, it seems the 21x10 is about the max for an 8mm shaft.

This may be the reason Mr EF chose to go bigger, but 4000W is nothing to sneeze about, a 10mm shaft is a step forward, hollow I cannot comment on.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:56 AM
EXTREME FLIGHT CEO
Cumming, Georgia
Joined Jan 2006
1,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Depends on your flying style and prop size, 8mm shafts have failed spinning the 22x10, some get more longevity then others, it seems the 21x10 is about the max for an 8mm shaft.

This may be the reason Mr EF chose to go bigger, but 4000W is nothing to sneeze about, a 10mm shaft is a step forward, hollow I cannot comment on.
Only the forward portion of the prop shaft is hollow and threaded to accept 5mm spinner bolts.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2016
33 Posts
Should hold up to spinning a 22x10 and 4000Watts without to much trouble, sounds like it may also put a smile on those power hungry folk. Motrofly having been talking about a similar platform for a while now, not sure how their development is going.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:20 PM
Find More Posts by dmichael
United States, MD, Laurel
Joined Jan 2006
1,050 Posts
I think the big picture is that there are many flyers who would consider a plane like this but struggle to understand what motor/esc/battery they can purchase with confidence that will give them the performance they want and have a place to get answers. This is a turn-key solution for those folks (and I'm sure a great and easy solution for even the "electric-savvy" flyer) that will be backed up with customer service when you have questions or run into issues. EF has a proven track record and I would buy it with confidence.
dmichael is offline Find More Posts by dmichael
Old 06-01-2016, 01:41 PM
Find More Posts by sutton50
United States, GA, Gainesville
Joined Feb 2014
291 Posts
Be nice to drive over an pickup a combo package with these , airframe, motor , an esc like in the 60 inch planes an others.
sutton50 is offline Find More Posts by sutton50
Old 06-01-2016, 03:08 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2016
33 Posts
That is very true and what got me into electric, although to be honest I have moved past the Airboss ESC, they are great for plug and play and for the price but there are better offerings if you are prepared to pay the money.

Is there an ESC in development for the XPWR range? I have a mixture of kontronic and Jeti, they are not for everyone but I like them.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:16 PM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Nov 2009
8,174 Posts
Any pics/specs of the 60cc size?
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 06-01-2016, 03:53 PM
EXTREME FLIGHT CEO
Cumming, Georgia
Joined Jan 2006
1,364 Posts
Gary, will post some pics and details when I get to my work computer this evening.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:23 PM
EXTREME FLIGHT CEO
Cumming, Georgia
Joined Jan 2006
1,364 Posts
Xpwr 60cc motor

The Xpwr 60cc motor is a 28 pole 1168 gram motor (including radial mount, prop adapter and bullet connectors). One of our test setups is on my 91" EF Yak-54. I am running a Castle 160HV ESC on firmware v. 4.22 and performance has been amazing. No squealing, knocking or timing loss, just smooth power and great throttle response. I am turning a Xoar 24x12 on 12S Pulse 65C 5000 and 5500 mah packs to 6800 Watts at 153 Amps.

Indeed our intention is to provide well tested and extremely powerful plug and play solutions for our vast fleet of models. This will include money saving combos with everything a customer needs to get airborne including motor, ESC, standoffs, prop and spinner.

Here is some footage of Jase flying this setup last month at Nall.
Extreme Flight 91" Yak 54 EXP with Xpwr 60cc (8 min 12 sec)
Last edited by EXTREME FLIGHT; 06-01-2016 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Added video.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:53 AM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Nov 2009
8,174 Posts
Looks good, but I am hoping you will have your own ESC. The Castle Talon 90 in my new Outlaw started on fire in less than 2 minutes into the maiden for a total loss, so I am kinda soured on Castle Cremations right now.
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman

Quick Reply