logo
Old 07-12-2019, 10:34 AM
Find More Posts by Dennis22
United States, CA, Nevada City
Joined Mar 2016
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow1221 View Post
I am a sport flyer. Very little 3D. Love to hover. That's about it. I am going to run the electronics with a life battery. Can you suggest possible 6.0 volt servos that will work safely on this plane.

Easier and safer to use a 2s lipo + you get the extra voltage to run the servos.

If you are a sport flyer any of the recommended servos will be just fine on the LiFe battery.

You would only need the extra torque for extreme flying.

Dennis
Dennis22 is offline Find More Posts by Dennis22
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-15-2019, 11:53 AM
Find More Posts by deadrobmusic
They Call Him Dead
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jun 2007
805 Posts
Made a little progress over the weekend. Got my new Aileron Servos in today. Hope to get her finished up this week. Will see....
deadrobmusic is offline Find More Posts by deadrobmusic
Old 07-22-2019, 09:14 AM
Find More Posts by Dennis22
United States, CA, Nevada City
Joined Mar 2016
131 Posts
What is happening with this model, should be a day or two at the most to get it in the air.

Still no flight reports

Dennis
Dennis22 is offline Find More Posts by Dennis22
Old 07-22-2019, 11:28 AM
Find More Posts by jwilliams
Happy contrails
Near Louisville, KY
Joined Jan 2006
3,608 Posts
I have posted in here on the flying of it. I flew it a couple times at Nall and watched others fly it, anything you are wanting to know specifically....other than it flies very well, tracks great and capable of all 3D maneuvers for high and low speed stuff.
jwilliams is offline Find More Posts by jwilliams
Old 07-22-2019, 02:20 PM
They Call Him Dead
Joined Jun 2007
805 Posts
Dennis just wants me to hurry up and GET ON WITH IT!!!!

Unfortunately work has me very tied up.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:30 PM
Find More Posts by Cycletech
CycleTech
United States, CT, Greenwich
Joined Jun 2019
145 Posts
There is a 2.75 lb(w/mufflers and ignition) 40cc twin on the market that puts out 4.7hp. Now considering that a DA-50 weighs 3.2lbs and makes 5hp Im thinking that the power to weight is about the same but the twin makes less vibrations, sounds better and is a cleaner look in the cawl. Whats your guys thoughts on this? Im about to start my build of this EF 85"300 and strongly considering not installing the 50 single and instead this New motor on the market. The plane will be overall lighter and vibrate less so I think the small loss of peak power will be outweighed by the benifits?
Cycletech is offline Find More Posts by Cycletech
Last edited by Cycletech; 07-22-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:13 PM
Find More Posts by Colton
Now taking maneuver requests!
United States, GA, Smyrna
Joined Mar 2010
2,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycletech View Post
There is a 2.75 lb(w/mufflers and ignition) 40cc twin on the market that puts out 4.7hp. Now considering that a DA-50 weighs 3.2lbs and makes 5hp Im thinking that the power to weight is about the same but the twin makes less vibrations, sounds better and is a cleaner look in the cawl. Whats your guys thoughts on this? Im about to start my build of this EF 85"300 and strongly considering not installing the 50 single and instead this New motor on the market. The plane will be overall lighter and vibrate less so I think the small loss of peak power will be outweighed by the benifits?
Sounds like an awesome combo. But working with engines as much as I have over the years I'd be really suprised to see a 40cc twin put out 4.7hp.
Colton is offline Find More Posts by Colton
Old 07-22-2019, 09:36 PM
CycleTech
Joined Jun 2019
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
Sounds like an awesome combo. But working with engines as much as I have over the years I'd be really suprised to see a 40cc twin put out 4.7hp.
IDK about a RC plane engine but Ive built liquid cooled 50cc two strokes making 13+ HP but thaats a whole other animal. The motor Im speaking of is the VVRC/RCGF "Classic" 40cc twin with the Gen2 cylinders/crank and CNC'd crankcase. Ots actually more powerful then their Gen1 50cc twin rated at 4.6hp. I know the plane was designed for the older generation 50cc singles but this motor I believe will make the plane even better?
Old 07-23-2019, 07:22 AM
CycleTech
Joined Jun 2019
145 Posts
After doing more research I came to the conclusion that I would need a 60cc twin if I was going this direction. This would add about a 0.75lb or a little less but would gain a little bit over 1hp then a 50 or 55cc single. Hard decision.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:45 PM
Find More Posts by woodrow1221
United States, GA, Gordon
Joined Apr 2019
20 Posts
Anybody build this with the 40cc xpwr motor
woodrow1221 is offline Find More Posts by woodrow1221
Old 07-23-2019, 02:22 PM
CycleTech
Joined Jun 2019
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow1221 View Post
Anybody build this with the 40cc xpwr motor
Ive been discussing the idea of a 40cc twin on thus thread and the thead labeled VVRC 40cc twin in the engine section and from info given by someone that has compared 35cc single to the 40cc twin that the 40 twin makes only a small bit more "real world" power and thats not good. Only good option would be a 60cc twin. It will add about 1lb over a DA50 but puts out around 1.25hp more. The plane is spec'd also for a DLE61 which makes the same power as the 60 twin with the twin being only 0.4lb more. Now if we we're to factor in a canister pipe on either of the single cylinder options the weight benefits of the single gets canceled out. Sooo I strongly believe the 60 twin can workout. The overall weight of plane will be same with canister piped single vs twin on stock pipes. Power being same if DLE61 or power being +1hp if compared to the piped DA50 with only about a .5lb difference.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,804 Posts
I think you are dreaming if you think the 60 twin is more powerful than the 61 single. You’re not factoring in the increased torque the single has over the twin and that means the single will be happy swinging more prop than the twin. Also, how wide is the cowl.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 07-23-2019, 06:56 PM
CycleTech
Joined Jun 2019
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
I think you are dreaming if you think the 60 twin is more powerful than the 61 single. You’re not factoring in the increased torque the single has over the twin and that means the single will be happy swinging more prop than the twin. Also, how wide is the cowl.
If you go back and read my statement you will see that I stated that the 61 single and the 60 twin make similar power. Of course the single makes more torque because of its longer stroke crankshaft and in turn will have the ability to swing a larger prob at a given RPM. The port timings and durations are also different. I build and modify two strokes for a living and have the machine shop to do anything with these motors.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:04 PM
Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2015
577 Posts
I don’t think a twin is a good option for this. Doubt anything big enough would fit in the cowl.
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old 07-23-2019, 07:08 PM
They Call Him Dead
Joined Jun 2007
805 Posts
I'll know more when I get mine in the air (DA50 and CF tuned pipe). But my OPNION at this point is that 1/2 pound is a significant amount of weight for this plane. Can the plane handle it? Oh sure. But will you FEEL the difference in a lighter set up. YUP!

Again. Just my two cents sitting on side lines

Quick Reply