logo
Old 12-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Find More Posts by DEVZAK9
Crashen em and Bashen em
Trying to fly this dang yak
Joined Nov 2006
4,390 Posts
Re: Krill Thunder 3D Build Thread!

Think it could be modified for a gas engine?
DEVZAK9 is offline Find More Posts by DEVZAK9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Find More Posts by 3d "kid"
Joined Dec 2008
8,209 Posts

Yeah Gas or electric it says on site,ws just wondering how much for a electric motor that size is......
3d "kid" is offline Find More Posts by 3d "kid"
Old 12-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Find More Posts by Graham
Wirral, Merseyside, UK
Joined Feb 2006
287 Posts

The model according to Krill is designed for the Axi 5325/16 / Hacker A60-22S / Plettenberg evo 25 but I know a few of the guys are now going to be using the evo 30 in order to run the larger prop on this model.

In terms of petrol engine Krill recommend the 3W 28 / Zenoah 26, although after using a Zenoah 20 I think that would also be a good option / DLE 30

I think if you were wanting to use a petrol engine in this model, you would want to add a little more strength around the front and where you mount the engine etc, it might also be advisable to add some extra formers throughout the fuselage, but I think it could easily be done, just have to account for the extra vibrations and weight that go with a petrol engine, but I'm sure it would go well.

Be interesting to see one flying on petrol, I have no doubt in the strength of the overall model in accepting petrol at all, would be interesting to see how it compared to its electric counterpart, similarly would be interesting to see how the model goes on the larger electric setups such as the hacker on 10 cells as well.

For me personally, I'm trying to go with the lightest possible set up, hence why I have gone with the 6S set up, can't wait to get this model going now, hoping to have it all built and finished in a few weeks.
Graham is offline Find More Posts by Graham
Old 12-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Wirral, Merseyside, UK
Joined Feb 2006
287 Posts

Got a little bit more done on my thunder today, the firewall and motor box is now all glued up and now just needs installing in the fuselage, I have mounted the speed controller on the bottom of motor box and also extended it so's that it sits in the middle of the gap for airflow to effectively cool it (I will also be adding some cooling in the cowl directed over the speed controller.)

Also added some cooling holes in the bottom of the fuz to allow air out, just got to add some CF tow around the inside edge of these cutouts now to strengthen them up, I will also add some CF tow around where the UC legs enter the fuz to add some extra strength.

Away at the weekend so will continue the build next week now
Old 12-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Find More Posts by dr_d_2k
Melbourne
Joined Oct 2006
803 Posts

Graham,

How did you get the servo in the wing without cutting a panel in the bottom of the wing. That is a long way down there. I was almost resolved to cutting an access panel but now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Got all the aileron linkages all now in place, 3mm ball links, 3mm stud with CF tube over that. Went with the SWB arms in the end all round The movement on the ailerons is insane, can't wait
dr_d_2k is offline Find More Posts by dr_d_2k
Old 12-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Wirral, Merseyside, UK
Joined Feb 2006
287 Posts

Dave,

It is a bit tricky, I built an f3a model a while ago and had to do the same thing, so seem to have the nack for it now, but you have got to have patience for sure!

I cut the slot in the wing wider ( the one ready to accept the horn ) plus this also gives you a little added space to manoeuvre the servo, I fed the servo in from the wing root through that hole and then used a long dowel to push the servo in to the slot, using the cutout for the control horn to push it in to place, but be careful not to push against the composite as it is only thin.
To screw the servo in, just attach a screwdriver on to the end of a long dowel, it is tight, but can be done

It is a bit tricky, the easier way to do it is to cut a hatch out, I just wanted to keep it all flush etc and not do the hatch method.

hope this helps
Old 12-05-2009, 11:30 PM
Find More Posts by Jkoch713
Hermit
Joined Jan 2008
1,596 Posts

[
quote=TazmanianDevil;888424]From what I've heard, Krill-Model is selling them as well.
Now the guy that invented that cool thing is making one for a 40're.[/quote]

Ddin't know that someone else had thought about doing that !!!...

I honestly had contiplated making a sliding tray, or something a bit more
simple in design....

The use of water transferring between two reservoirs
... with a foamy material
to prevent any sloshing...
Jkoch713 is offline Find More Posts by Jkoch713
Old 12-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Hermit
Joined Jan 2008
1,596 Posts

By the way, this planes wings look remarkably simular to the Spark?
Old 12-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Hermit
Joined Jan 2008
1,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Dave,

It is a bit tricky, I built an f3a model a while ago and had to do the same thing, so seem to have the nack for it now, but you have got to have patience for sure!

I cut the slot in the wing wider ( the one ready to accept the horn ) plus this also gives you a little added space to manoeuvre the servo, I fed the servo in from the wing root through that hole and then used a long dowel to push the servo in to the slot, using the cutout for the control horn to push it in to place, but be careful not to push against the composite as it is only thin.
To screw the servo in, just attach a screwdriver on to the end of a long dowel, it is tight, but can be done

Crikeees, I would say, that Krill should provide the tool needed for that bugger!!!
Old 12-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Hermit
Joined Jan 2008
1,596 Posts

I noticed that those wheel pants looked cracked up on that demo plane.....
That is one area I would be FOR SUREly adding some fiberglass and epoxy reinforcement....
That will keep them looking great, for a long time.....
Especially when you make those harrier landings...!!
(You will be doing that )??

Also a Evolution, MVVS 26cc, a Syssa SAP 180, ZDZ40F3A, would seem to be great picks...

My only complaint, is the lack of a PIPE Channel???
Has Krill gone to what is the Norm, for there SPark pattern plane.... Motor only??

Is there enough room for a pipe??
Last edited by Jkoch713; 12-06-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:26 AM
Find More Posts by bodywerks
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,339 Posts

I have a hacker A60-22s for sale here in the swap shop. It's new and I have a CC85HV listed as well. should be a killer powerplant for this plane if anyone's interested...
https://www.flyinggiants.com/swapsho...ct=15560&cat=4
https://www.flyinggiants.com/swapsho...ct=15561&cat=4
bodywerks is offline Find More Posts by bodywerks
Old 12-06-2009, 04:07 AM
Find More Posts by mark nichols
aberdeenshire
Joined Mar 2007
459 Posts

watching this one!

Mark
mark nichols is offline Find More Posts by mark nichols
Old 12-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Find More Posts by dr_d_2k
Melbourne
Joined Oct 2006
803 Posts

I was thinking about the Syssa for mine but decided to go with the AXI recommended by Krill. I really wanted smoke on this though.

Is there an electric smoke system available. Maybe a disco fog machine from the 80's would be available. :-)
dr_d_2k is offline Find More Posts by dr_d_2k
Old 12-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Hermit
Joined Jan 2008
1,596 Posts

are all of the new hacker stuff made in China now??
Old 12-07-2009, 08:14 AM
Wirral, Merseyside, UK
Joined Feb 2006
287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkoch713 View Post
By the way, this planes wings look remarkably simular to the Spark?
The guy who designed the spark also designed the thunder, so there are some similarities between the two, for example the wings.

Quote:
Crikeees, I would say, that Krill should provide the tool needed for that bugger!!!
I think the idea is that a small hatch is cut and the servo is installed that way, up to the builder to be honest.

Quote:
I noticed that those wheel pants looked cracked up on that demo plane.....
That is one area I would be FOR SUREly adding some fiberglass and epoxy reinforcement....
That will keep them looking great, for a long time.....
Especially when you make those harrier landings...!!
(You will be doing that )??

Also a Evolution, MVVS 26cc, a Syssa SAP 180, ZDZ40F3A, would seem to be great picks...

My only complaint, is the lack of a PIPE Channel???
Has Krill gone to what is the Norm, for there SPark pattern plane.... Motor only??

Is there enough room for a pipe??
The spats look fairly robust, there is some carbon fibre within where the spats are to be fixed to the UC legs. I think spats are obviously an area that take a lot of abuse on any aircraft, but well looked after I've never had any real issues.

The other engines you have recommended also seem good choices, for an engine that size I should think you could get a pipe in to the fuz, but there is nothing provided for a pipe, i.e. a pipe tunnel, I think primarily this model is designed for the electric set ups, but there is plenty of space to accomodate a variety of set ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_d_2k View Post
I was thinking about the Syssa for mine but decided to go with the AXI recommended by Krill. I really wanted smoke on this though.

Is there an electric smoke system available. Maybe a disco fog machine from the 80's would be available. :-)
There are some versions available that are servo or electronically activated, there are also some where the smoke is in canisters and can be lit before takeoff, not too sure on where to get these though, I've never really looked in to it, but I'm sure if you post the question then someone will know, Ales, the designer had smoke on his.

Just got the carbon fibre tow on today to strengthen those holes up and stop them from splitting.

Just waiting on the trays now and then going to get those all glued in as well as the motor box etc all in the next week hopefully, then we shouldn't be far off

Quick Reply