Old 02-22-2020, 09:57 AM
Find More Posts by jwilliams
Happy contrails
Near Louisville, KY
Joined Jan 2006
3,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
Greetings folks. I am in need of an airplane trailer. I’m planning to tote around a couple 40% size planes. I think I want a v nose. That’s about all I know. Any recommendations on brand and features? Does anyone have a line on a good place to buy one from etc.

Thanks in advance!
I have owned 3 trailers now and for toting a couple 40%ers around put in a shelf and you will have plenty of room with a 6X12 Vnose. I like a ramp style rear door, also a side door with RV style latch is essential. Stone guard or also called diamond plate, get it on the Vnose and all along the front is a must, I even have it down the sides of my trailer but the sides (24" high) are a looks thing. Interior lights, 3/4" treated floor, 16" on center (OC) side and roof construction, one piece aluminum roof, do not get a roof vent get side vents that open both ways. Upgrade your tires, they all put cheap ones on at the manufacturer and they don't last. I got my trailer and immediately took it to a tire shop and spent another $700 on fancy rims and good radial trailer tires, then I had 2 spares. LED exterior lights, upgrade your fenders if possible, I did all this stuff on my most recent trailer because I learned what works and I paid thru the nose, all said and done I had $4500 in a 6X12 but it adds up quick when you start those upgrades. Once you get the trailer put in E Track, easy to install and you can get it off EBAY reasonable. Many trailer manufacturers will do this but the fee is high. Yes my $4500 includes my self installed E Track. Now where to buy, your post says you live in Charleston, SC (awesome place BTW, we love swig and swine's wings) there are numerous trailer manufacturers in South Georgia and that will custom build and they are the cheapest around and most are reputable manufacturers......Look trailers, trailer country, USA cargo trailer, Cargo craft, there are many more but those are popular ones. Now as a final note you can go to an all aluminum trailer but the price goes way up. Good luck.
jwilliams is offline Find More Posts by jwilliams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-22-2020, 10:03 PM
Find More Posts by alky6
United States, CA, Dixon
Joined Jul 2013
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant View Post
Good info Paul. I knew there was quite a bit to it. Quite a bit more then a simple enclosed utility trailer pulled behind an RV.

You flying Oakdale again this year? Should be a great weekend for it! We're looking forward to it for sure, as well as Salinas. Oakdale is a prime site though in all aspects.
Thanks Dale. HOpe to make Oakdale. Kids have swim the weekend of Salinas so wonít be there unless something changes. Look forward to seeing you!

On the trailer issue. I really like my 6x12 v nose trailer. Plenty of room for 40% planes. If folks are worried about fuel mileage I would strongly recommend making sure you get a trailer with rounded coves on the top of the trailer versus square edges. Believe it or not that is good for about a 10% difference in fuel mileage.
alky6 is offline Find More Posts by alky6
Old 02-24-2020, 08:46 AM
Find More Posts by rcalbuquerque
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Mar 2007
304 Posts
For the best price shop ebay . Thatís how I found my trailer. All different types sizes all the lowest no hassle price. Just find the one you like then call them and go pick up.
rcalbuquerque is offline Find More Posts by rcalbuquerque

Quick Reply