Old 04-13-2014, 10:01 AM
Find More Posts by moose
RC Gadgetz
Dubai
Joined Jan 2006
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevod View Post

It will be interesting to see what they end up finding off of Australia (if anything) based on the pings.
Even if they do find the black boxes, they won't provide as much useful data as would normally be provided because they are on a 2 hour loop and the flight was off course for what - 8 hours?

Also - nothing has been brought up about the fact that all communications with the plane went silent prior to it diverting off course - that would leave the possibility that the flight and cockpit voice recorders also went offline (intentionally done or not) at that same time, so there may be nothing of use at all on them.
The CVR is the only item that loops after 2hrs so the recorder would provide the last two hours of any speech made made in the cockpit. The CVR (cockpit voice recorder) and the DFDR ( digital flight data recorder ) are never online. They record what happens on the flight and will be inspected in the event of an accident or incident. The DFDR records the last 25 hours of flight data and not 2 hours.

Just thought I would clear that up.

Mostafa
moose is offline Find More Posts by moose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-13-2014, 10:21 AM
Find More Posts by moose
RC Gadgetz
Dubai
Joined Jan 2006
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers43 View Post
Just a question... What about the ELT??? I know the new ELT's also transmit to satalite... They should have known where that plane was as soon as it "hit the water" that is what doesn't make sense at all
The ELT starts to emit in the event of a hard landing or an impact (accident). It can be switched off from the cockpit in the event of the initialization being from a hard landing. The built in ELT transmits to the satellite on the 406 MHz frequency which is monitored by Cospas-Sarsat system.It also transmits on the VHF guard frequency of 121.5 which is fairly ineffective as it must be close enough to another aircraft, ship or ATC facility to be picked up and does not in any way provide accurate information of the actual whereabouts of the A/C but rather an area. Generally the closer you are the stronger it is.

The 406 MHz transmission should be located within 6-8 hours of the initialization of the signal.

Every thing I have seen on the news is BS
moose is offline Find More Posts by moose
Old 04-13-2014, 11:13 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2walla View Post
If the pinger was pinging on the black boxes the aussies p-3 would have found it within 8-10 hours of the ship getting a hit off of it. PERIOD.. T.
And I'm certain you base this opinion on your years of experience with sonar and other acoustical devices operating in an underwater environment,right??
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 04-13-2014, 11:15 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose View Post
The 406 MHz transmission should be located within 6-8 hours of the initialization of the signal.
Did the Air France ELT send out any signals? I don't recall hearing anything about that. In addition, how well would the ELT transmit once it was exposed to and sunk beneath sea water?
Old 04-13-2014, 12:02 PM
Find More Posts by Carruthers43
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Aug 2010
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Did the Air France ELT send out any signals? I don't recall hearing anything about that. In addition, how well would the ELT transmit once it was exposed to and sunk beneath sea water?
I can tell you for a fact we just bought a new ELT... As stated the VHF is about useless but it is sealed and is water proof so if in fact the airplane is in the water it still would have been found via satilite...
Carruthers43 is offline Find More Posts by Carruthers43
Old 04-13-2014, 12:03 PM
Find More Posts by 3ddd
tissue ? cry baby jack wagon!
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
2,886 Posts
elt is all but worthless under water,,the signal i believe is too weak,,not designed for that,,,just my two cents,,i think the plane landed on dry land and the black boxes where removed and flown to the south indian ocean and dropped off,,this would send all recovery crews in a far off direction looking for a plane that isn't even there,,no debris field too long to find a pinger,,all sounds like we better be watching our backs for some time
3ddd is offline Find More Posts by 3ddd
Old 04-13-2014, 03:37 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers43 View Post
I can tell you for a fact we just bought a new ELT... As stated the VHF is about useless but it is sealed and is water proof so if in fact the airplane is in the water it still would have been found via satilite...
I'm curious what the attenuation of 400MHz signal is underwater. I'm thinking that it may not penetrate 2.5 miles of water.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ddd View Post
elt is all but worthless under water,,the signal i believe is too weak,,not designed for that,,,just my two cents,,i think the plane landed on dry land and the black boxes where removed and flown to the south indian ocean and dropped off,,this would send all recovery crews in a far off direction looking for a plane that isn't even there,,no debris field too long to find a pinger,,all sounds like we better be watching our backs for some time

I saw Elvis walking on the moon recently.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:39 PM
Find More Posts by Extra nuts
Extra Extras, I'm all about it
United States, UT, St George
Joined Apr 2007
2,537 Posts
And what might I ask, were you doing on the moon Alice, when you saw Elvis there?? I hope you weren't visiting the Lunar dispensary.
Extra nuts is offline Find More Posts by Extra nuts
Old 04-13-2014, 06:17 PM
Find More Posts by 3ddd
tissue ? cry baby jack wagon!
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
2,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I saw Elvis walking on the moon recently.
did you tell him hi
3ddd is offline Find More Posts by 3ddd
Old 06-17-2014, 06:17 AM
Find More Posts by Hoverin
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Jun 2012
67 Posts
I had a quick flick through and don't think this one has been posted, make of it what you will...
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/so...thschild46.htm
Hoverin is offline Find More Posts by Hoverin
Old 06-17-2014, 08:26 AM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
I wouldn't put it past the people really in power to pull so.ething like that, but we'll never really know.
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 06-17-2014, 09:17 AM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
3,834 Posts
That was interesting reading....
ponyboy082662 is offline Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 06-17-2014, 09:30 AM
Find More Posts by vmceachern
You can't fix STUPID
Texas City, Tx
Joined Dec 2008
4,505 Posts
Crazy how accountability only seems to work in one direction
vmceachern is offline Find More Posts by vmceachern
Old 03-06-2015, 05:48 PM
Find More Posts by bamdfisher
KRAZY KANUK
Canada, ON, Parry Sound District
Joined May 2011
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ddd View Post

It's now a year later.

Do you still hold to your ridiculous theory?
bamdfisher is offline Find More Posts by bamdfisher

Quick Reply