logo
Old 02-11-2020, 06:46 AM
Find More Posts by danimach
United States
Joined Nov 2017
392 Posts
[QUOTE=always flying;2944727]Dan,

Thanks for sharing bud! I really appreciate that! I got the final missing pieces to finish the build![/QUOTE

It really is an awesome airplane. When you get it all together you will be happy. Waiting for the right day to maiden now. Finished this, an ef extra 300 and working on a P3 revolution.
danimach is offline Find More Posts by danimach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-13-2020, 01:56 AM
Find More Posts by always flying
Brow Beatin'....
Lethbridge,Ab
Joined Jan 2006
387 Posts
It really is an awesome airplane. When you get it all together you will be happy. Waiting for the right day to maiden now. Finished this, an ef extra 300 and working on a P3 revolution.[/QUOTE]

WoW! you'l lhave some sweet new planes to maiden and fly this summer! Need video and thoughts how the EME pulled it around

mannyh
always flying is offline Find More Posts by always flying
Old 02-13-2020, 06:01 PM
United States
Joined Nov 2017
392 Posts
Thanks! Trying to get everything built while the weather is sour. Best with your build.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:23 PM
Find More Posts by CT Flier Guy
Gee Bee Lover
United States, CT, Suffield
Joined May 2016
215 Posts
I'll be putting one together soon. Delivery is tomorrow. I settled on the black & red trim scheme, as Chief was out of the red, white, blue color (due in April). I had to call them since my web order was stuck in "Processing" for days. Not so good communication. I politely complained and they gave me 5% off. The tracking info indicates delivery to my home address...WTH...called them again to verify...yup they messed up, so no additional charge for residential delivery, but I have to be home (and had to tell the wife...blows my 'won it i n the club raffle' story). Chief promised a deal on my next order.
CT Flier Guy is offline Find More Posts by CT Flier Guy
Old 02-14-2020, 09:35 AM
Brow Beatin'....
Lethbridge,Ab
Joined Jan 2006
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Flier Guy View Post
I'll be putting one together soon. Delivery is tomorrow. I settled on the black & red trim scheme, as Chief was out of the red, white, blue color (due in April). I had to call them since my web order was stuck in "Processing" for days. Not so good communication. I politely complained and they gave me 5% off. The tracking info indicates delivery to my home address...WTH...called them again to verify...yup they messed up, so no additional charge for residential delivery, but I have to be home (and had to tell the wife...blows my 'won it i n the club raffle' story). Chief promised a deal on my next order.

Geeez’

Dont you hate it when they can’t get it right...and we’ve all had to use that story before haha! Enjoy your build! Post pics

Mannyh
Old 02-14-2020, 05:56 PM
United States
Joined Nov 2017
392 Posts
Mannyh,
Any pics on your build? How far along are you and how is it going for you? What is your planned setup?
Old 02-18-2020, 10:23 PM
Brow Beatin'....
Lethbridge,Ab
Joined Jan 2006
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danimach View Post
Mannyh,
Any pics on your build? How far along are you and how is it going for you? What is your planned setup?
I’ve got the tail section done, wings, moving on to the engine install now.

Set up is -
Da70cc two into one header with rear dump Mtw 110tdh can
Mks 777a servos all around
Falcon 24-9
Old 02-18-2020, 10:25 PM
Brow Beatin'....
Lethbridge,Ab
Joined Jan 2006
387 Posts
I’ll get mire pics this week, when I get it back on bench.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:30 AM
Gee Bee Lover
Joined May 2016
215 Posts
Mannyh,
I'm anxious to see your build/install of the DA70 with TD110H can. Pics please....I received mine as well a few days ago. My original plan was DA120 with KS3086 cans, (I plan on towing 20 lb. gliders.) but I also have a DA70, 2 into 1 with the TD110H. I'm in process of reinforcing the engine box...starting with removing the balsa tri-stock on the tank floor to laminate some ply up to firewall. I might do the same for the motor box sides (ply on inside aft into the tank compartment). Also double up firewall thickness on the outside (remove the hardwood tri-stock)...not real sure yet.

For either of my engine/can choices it looks like the can tunnel is too short and needs to be extended.

All,
Check out the long shaft Bondhus 3mm ball driver. Works good for the cowl screws (so far with no engine). I got a set from RTL Fasteners.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:42 AM
United States
Joined Nov 2017
392 Posts
I reinforced my firewall and pinned it. I did not remove the original tristock as it was solid. Added more tristock to the aft side of the added firewall.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:12 AM
Gee Bee Lover
Joined May 2016
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danimach View Post
I reinforced my firewall and pinned it. I did not remove the original tristock as it was solid. Added more tristock to the aft side of the added firewall.

Danimach,

Good idea and nice work. I didn't think of angling the sides of the ply to accommodate the existing tri-stock. Thanks for sharing. (It takes a neighborhood to raise an airplane.) Did you do any reinforcements to the motor box sides or bottom?
Old 02-19-2020, 10:15 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
you may already be doing this but you want to capture the top of the motor box as the firewall will flex a bit without it.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 02-19-2020, 10:33 AM
Brow Beatin'....
Lethbridge,Ab
Joined Jan 2006
387 Posts
CT Flier,

Yes, i'll post pics of engine install for sure, the tunnel is to short for our can. I'll remove the back part of tunnel and that should work, I've seen pics of the same can install with DA 85cc so it can be done, quick thoughts for those that are building or have built........Wing strut hardware are you using extra lock tight on the bolts with the lock nuts...or trusting the lock nuts as enough strength? So far, i never used any lock tight because i'll need to mount wings to drill final fuse mounting assembly, then i'll tighten everything up.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:38 PM
Brow Beatin'....
Lethbridge,Ab
Joined Jan 2006
387 Posts
Ok here’s a tease - Ha! Off to work so I’ll get after this tonight or tomorrow
Old 02-19-2020, 05:21 PM
United States
Joined Nov 2017
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Flier Guy View Post
Danimach,

Good idea and nice work. I didn't think of angling the sides of the ply to accommodate the existing tri-stock. Thanks for sharing. (It takes a neighborhood to raise an airplane.) Did you do any reinforcements to the motor box sides or bottom?
Thanks. I did not mod the sides or bottom. They looked good. I did install the top with tristock and screws when I finished installing everything. It turned out very strong.

Quick Reply