logo
Old 01-15-2020, 12:14 PM
Find More Posts by rcbob51
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Apr 2007
10 Posts
Discussion
DLE 35RA fuel problem

Need help with my DLE 35RA. Engine does not seem to pull gas from the tank. It will not fire at all spark plug is dry no sign of fuel on it. I changed out the gas tank put new lines on it and made sure there were no restrictions on any of the lines. Has anyone else had this problem? Sure would like your input. Thanks!!
rcbob51 is offline Find More Posts by rcbob51
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-15-2020, 06:44 PM
Find More Posts by waldo3690
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2009
157 Posts
I had the same issue once with the same engine. Turned out the diaphragm pump was not opening the needle. Checked hight of fork on needle was way off. Reset with Wablo gauge problem solved.
waldo3690 is offline Find More Posts by waldo3690
Old 01-16-2020, 09:29 PM
Find More Posts by AKNick
1Corinthians 3:18
United States, AK, Juneau
Joined Feb 2014
1,611 Posts
Need more information. New engine, old? Working before and is not now?
Sounds like you are not getting fuel. Try loosening the carb plate (the big center screw) where the check valves are and tighten it when fuel starts siphoning out the plate from you gas tank. This will insure the carb is primed.
AKNick is offline Find More Posts by AKNick
Old 01-17-2020, 02:49 AM
Joined Apr 2007
10 Posts
DLE 335ra starting problem

It is a new engine only run one time and ran great. It has been stored away for about 6 months before I tried to start it this week. It is not pulling gas from the tank. I replaced all the fuel lines and know there is nothing wrong with the tank. Thanks for the input from you guys. I ordered a new walbro carb and will see if it will make a difference.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:48 AM
Find More Posts by allans
United States, NY, Westchester County
Joined Feb 2007
204 Posts
There is a kind of carb diaphragm from walbro that lasts longer than the original . When ever my gassers have sat for over a year , I check them . It is quite easy to to do and you can do it while carb is is on plane . The diaphragm should flex easily and be free completely free of cuts and folds. Sometimes the stiffness is very subtle.
Th old diaphragms are really cheap and I just replace them as a matter of course . I am told they deteriorate because of the ethanol. Not certain of that . But I know well how a bad can effect the running of the engine .
allans is offline Find More Posts by allans
Old 01-18-2020, 12:06 PM
Find More Posts by tazx100
Joined Jun 2018
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allans View Post
There is a kind of carb diaphragm from walbro that lasts longer than the original . When ever my gassers have sat for over a year , I check them . It is quite easy to to do and you can do it while carb is is on plane . The diaphragm should flex easily and be free completely free of cuts and folds. Sometimes the stiffness is very subtle.
Th old diaphragms are really cheap and I just replace them as a matter of course . I am told they deteriorate because of the ethanol. Not certain of that . But I know well how a bad can effect the running of the engine .
what kind of diaphrams do you use and where do you get one ?
tazx100 is offline Find More Posts by tazx100
Old 01-18-2020, 03:00 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allans View Post
Walbro does sell a new regulator diaphragm that has a very thin membrane and a spiral metal support. These are quite expensive though and I have never read any reports of how well they work in an RC application. Note these are the regulator diaphragm only! They still provide the black, tan and blue pump diaphragms for most engines with the tan one being used most commonly in the smaller framed WT series carb such as used on the DLE35. Normal levels of Ethanol really don't affect the tan pump diaphragm.

I constantly read references to "the diaphragm" in Walbro carbs. Note there are (2) diaphragms in Walbro carbs! The pump diaphragm and the regulator diaphragm. All diaphragms are provided in Walbro repair kits. The kit for the DLE 35 carb is the K20-WAT and I always recommend genuine Walbro brand parts. About $10 from many vendors and available for less if you look around. The spiral regulator diaphragm is over $20 all by itself so I'm not sure there is much value there.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 01-21-2020, 01:07 AM
Find More Posts by CARS II
Go fly a jet today
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Oct 2014
531 Posts
Most of the times new engines have a hard time sucking in the fuel into the cylinder, once the ring seats some, the starting will improve, the carb's pump pulls the fuel from the tank, the piston is the one that sucks in the fuel into the cylinder.

I experienced the same symptoms with my 35.

Hope this helps.
CARS II is offline Find More Posts by CARS II
Old 01-22-2020, 01:10 AM
Joined Apr 2007
10 Posts
DLE 35RA fuel problem

Thanks for all the info. I will be putting a new

Walbro carb and a Bowman ring on the engine. Hope all this makes it run.

Thanks again!!
Old 01-22-2020, 04:24 AM
Find More Posts by CARS II
Go fly a jet today
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Oct 2014
531 Posts
I also have a Walbro carb and a Bowman's ring in mine, runs like a swiss watch, you should be getting compression on the cylinder after burning a gallon of fuel or so, if you don't then let Bejorn know, I had to get a second ring for mine because the first one wasn't getting any compression after 2 gallons of burned fuel, Frank was nice enough to send it to me free of charge, gap the spark plug to 0.25, it will help the mid range burbuling.
CARS II is offline Find More Posts by CARS II
Old 01-24-2020, 10:04 AM
Joined Apr 2007
10 Posts
DLE 35RA fuel problem

Thanks to all of you who helped me with this problem. I am happy to say the engine is running great now.

Thanks again
Bob

Quick Reply