logo
View Poll Results: I know this it not an Extra or 50%er but thought it was cool.
Continue thread 26 100.00%
Nice plane but not a thread of Flying giants Interest. Needs to be 3D capable 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2007, 12:00 AM
Find More Posts by invert0914
North Carolina
Joined May 2006
233 Posts
Re: Andy Sheber 33% S2A Pitts resurrection for Dad

Need help!!1 Where do we buy scale flying wires now that Nelson is no longer carring them. Need the to replace original wire. Want o be 100% scale or close to it on this project. The tale wires are done but need the real thing for the wings. I used aluminum with steel rods through them for the tail. Thought it was clever and they came out great. Any help here will be great.

John
invert0914 is offline Find More Posts by invert0914
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-08-2007, 12:29 AM
Find More Posts by gjmjoe017
St.Louis,Missouri
Joined Dec 2006
114 Posts

John,
Aero Scale in Switzerland is your best bet.Type in Scale Flying Wires in your search engine and his web site will pop up.Hans is his name and check out some of his custome photos and you will see how good they are.At your stage of building you can install the complete scale internal quick connect system he has.I am going to use his on my project.
Joe
gjmjoe017 is offline Find More Posts by gjmjoe017
Old 12-08-2007, 12:30 AM
St.Louis,Missouri
Joined Dec 2006
114 Posts

Forgot to mention,drop him an email and he will reply and can be very helpful.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:46 AM
Find More Posts by RustyTumbles
Time for something New......
Newcastle NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
5,050 Posts

Here's a few I found of the planes Black Sheep and 3Drat where talking about. They were not yet finished at the time. I had a few of the finished products but I can't find them anywhere.
RustyTumbles is offline Find More Posts by RustyTumbles
Old 12-08-2007, 01:57 AM
Find More Posts by RustyTumbles
Time for something New......
Newcastle NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
5,050 Posts

I knew I had one somewhere
RustyTumbles is offline Find More Posts by RustyTumbles
Old 12-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Find More Posts by bofrcr
Clyde ohio
Joined Nov 2006
64 Posts

Egads!! How very interesting!! somewhere in the mid 70's,, I remember well,, at the toledo show,,Sherber's big pitts sitting on the table,, I think it was a green/black/yellow color,, and I fell instantly,, erotically,,in love with that airplane!! I was blown away!! I HAD to have one!! I bought the plans,, built it,, then went through about 4 engines trying to find one with enough power to fly it right! A "super hustler" (I think) 2.6 c.i. was the first,,(it flew,,but more like a cub,,LOL),, then a kowaski 3.15,, SOME improvement,, then on to a series of converted engines,ending up with a 5.2 c.i. Stihl chop saw engine,,(now THAT flew it like a pitts!) the only problem was,, we where constucting these with alternate building materials,, ie ply,, bass wood,, pine,, so,,it came in at 35# or better,, with the wing loading,, it was a rocket! it flew a lot like it's full sized counterpart!! A handfull!! you didn't "land" it,, you drilled it on the ground like a carrier landing! my heart was in my throat evey time I flew it! I'm guessing it had maybe 50 flights or so,, and spent a lot of time being the hangar queen and going to a lot of mall shows,,LOL don't have a pic of it any more either,,drat! any way,, if lightened up,, and the newer more powerful engines out there,, it would fly better, heck,, it flew alright as it was,, it was like having hold of a freight train!! LOL go ahead and redo it!! should be fun!!
bofrcr is offline Find More Posts by bofrcr
Old 12-20-2007, 02:09 PM
St.Louis,Missouri
Joined Dec 2006
114 Posts

Invert,what's up??You get all us Pitts lovers all pumped and then we don't here anything!!Let's get this baby going,can't wait to see it finished!!!
Old 12-20-2007, 03:33 PM
Find More Posts by Gus155
Kommetjie Cape Town South Africa
Joined Jan 2006
976 Posts

...... a PITTS is Something SPECIAL...........
continue the thread come on.
Gus155 is offline Find More Posts by Gus155
Old 01-02-2008, 04:33 AM
Find More Posts by Tcrafty
United States, FL, Bartow
Joined Jan 2008
18 Posts

Great Thread! I just purchased a Bob Dively Pitts and I've read that they were from Andy's plans. A little different from this plane but still some similarities. I just have the airframe, uncovered. It looks like it may have been done many years ago and is quite dusty and, it needs some TLC. My dad is the builder and is going to help me with it once he gets finished with my scratch-built pitts from blown up Mcfarland plans.

I wondered how the aluminum sheeting worked on these plans and I'd assume that my plane would be similar to what you have done here. Very interesting thread! Thanks Inverted!

As a matter of fact, it was this thread that brought me to Flying Giants!
Tcrafty is offline Find More Posts by Tcrafty
Old 01-05-2008, 06:53 AM
Joined Jan 2008
18 Posts

Did I scare them all off? !!!!

Just when it was starting to get good. IF this thread were to proceed, I would have asked questions like what servos are you using? How heavy is the airplane when finished? What engine is everyone using? You know, that sort of stuff.

Oh and if I could DREAM of asking for a special photo, I'd love to see the firewall of Inverted's plane without the cowling on it.

Still out there inverted?
Old 01-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Find More Posts by tonyc9075
Ruston, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2007
355 Posts

Tcrafty, post some pictures of your Pitts, both the scratch build and the Bob Dively one that you will be recovering. We Pitts lovers can't get enough. I am building a scratch Pitts that is using the Andy Sheber cowl and canopy. NO doubt about it. The Pitts is a great airplane

Tony
tonyc9075 is offline Find More Posts by tonyc9075
Old 01-10-2008, 07:16 AM
Joined Jan 2008
18 Posts

Tony,

Here's the bones of the scratchbuilt. They are from McFarland plans that were blown up. In an interesting parallel to this original thread, my dad is building it for me. The fuse is now covered and we're starting on the wings soon.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Ruston, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2007
355 Posts

Tcrafty, your dad does good work. You would have several peopel interested in a dedicated tread with some ongoing pictures. Pitts people just love to see the Pitts, I know, I am one of them. We could follow along all the way through the test flight.

go for it.

Tony
Old 01-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Joined Jan 2008
18 Posts

I'll have to take my camera over next time and get some updated shots. Also, here's the big one. I just bought it for $20. It's a Bob Dively Pitts and the all I got is what you see. I figured that if winter got REALLY cold down here, I could burn the airframe and get $20 worth of heat out of it. Of course, I wouldn't do THAT!!!!!

It's been riding around for quite a while in other people's garages and has some hangar rash but it's solid. We'll be working on this one after the other Pitts is done. Maybe I'll do a build thread on this plane since there will be several aspects of it that folks might find interesting.

I won't steal the thread any more from the original poster but I do hope that he does continue it.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Ruston, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2007
355 Posts

Tcrafty, You should start a new post so that we can follow you and your dad's progress. This way your effort will not get mixed up with this one.

Quick Reply