logo
Old 09-16-2007, 12:05 AM
Find More Posts by wizard
It will fly!!!
Washington, Indiana
Joined Jan 2006
13,374 Posts
2007 Terre Haute Air Fair

Due to funds and work schedule I was not able to make the Las Vegas Huckfest. So, I did the next best thing. I made a few phone calls and found someone to cover the first part of my evening shift of back up for the ambulance. Loaded up and made the drive to meet my flying buddy and his wife at the best air show close to where I live.

I made a quick stop at the local hobby shop ( Joe's Hobby Barn ) then on the show. I arrived a few minutes before the opening ceremony. The opening ceremony included a jump by the E-Team skydivers and one of the jumpers was trailing the largest flag I have ever seen used in a Parachute jump.

While the flag was in the air, the jumper was circled by Skip Stewart, Jurgis Kairy, and Chris Round.

Also part of the opening ceremony was the X-Team Skip Stewart, Jurgis Kairy, and the Shockwave Jet Truck.

Next on the program was Gene Soucy and his Showcat.

The Disabled American Veterans Proudly flew the B-25 Mitchell "Special Delivery"

The US Navy Demonstrated the F-18 Hornet and put it through it paces.

John Mohr brought back the nostalgia of the Barnstorming days in his Steerman.

The F-104 Starfighter demo team was on the schedule but had to withdraw from the show due to maintenance.

Skip Stewart performed his solo show. One thing about Skip's show, it the fact that the only time he flies level is on a low high speed pass. Every thing from knife edge flight to some of the best tumbling maneuvers you have ever seen.

At the end of his solo performance Skip even flew his plane knife edge while a motorcycle jumped over the top.

The E-Team skydiver performed another jump, then Jurgis Kairy performed his solo routine in his Suhkoi 31. One of the maneuvers he performed was a 26 rotation flat spin.

After Jurgis finished they brought out the Shockwave jet truck again while John Mohr and Skip Stewart took to the air.

When the Shockwave made it's run John Mohr decided to see if his Steerman could keep up. Even with a little bit of a head start he didn't have a chance. The speed of the jet truck on this run was 341 mph. The second run he performed later topped out at 356 mph.

Matt Younkin performed an aerial ballet with a Twin Beech 18. He was putting it through maneuvers it was never designed to perform.

Next up was Kyle Franklin in the Waco Mystery Ship.

Stunt man Todd Green decided that he was tired of riding along with John Mohr in the Steerman and Climbed aboard Otto the Helicopter in mid air.

Here is Todd Green Just hanging around.

23 year old Pete McLeod in his Giles-200 showed the older performers how to make a aircraft tumble through the air.

The US Air Force provided an F-15 Eagle for a demonstration.

After a noisy thrilling demonstration the F-15 was joined in the air by a P-51 Mustang for a USAF Heritage Flight. Flying in tight formation the prop driven P-51 was at the top end of it's cruise speed and the F-15 was at the lower end of it's flight envelope.

The US Army sent the 101st skydiver exhibition team to jump over the skies of Terre Haute. They performed chute stacking as part of the routine.

Gene Soucy again put his Showcat in the air this time joined by Teresa Stokes. Teresa, an artist that specializes in aviation and space art that has even had two pieces of her work taken into space aboard the space shuttle, is also a pilot. For this flight Teresa decided that she didn't want to be confined by the cockpit and just hung out on the wing.

Along with all the airborne action there was plenty of action on the ground including ground displays, a fully functional fire truck converted into a monster truck, a half pipe with BMX bikes and Skateboards and even a Human torch pyro show (I missed the pyro show, I was keeping my eyes to the skies)

Talk about youth in avaition....

It was a great day. I just hate that I had to leave when the day time performances ended. The night time held a lot, night time aerobatics with pyro, night skydivers, and two concerts Joe Diffie and Aaron Tippin. The night ended with fireworks.
wizard is offline Find More Posts by wizard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-16-2007, 07:40 AM
Find More Posts by maeu2003
Joined Jan 2006
386 Posts
Re: 2007 Terre Haute Air Fair

looks like fun, wish i could have made it...
maeu2003 is offline Find More Posts by maeu2003
Old 09-17-2007, 05:48 PM
It will fly!!!
Washington, Indiana
Joined Jan 2006
13,374 Posts

Matt, next year you should make plans to go with us. Buying the tickets for $12.00 on line before the date of the show makes it a cheep day of entertainment.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Find More Posts by 3Dreaming
Doo It! Doo It!
Noble, IL USA
Joined Sep 2006
121 Posts

I was there both days with my Flight Design CT Light Sport aircraft. I had to miss the Lincoln Land IMAC to try and sell airplanes. It was a really good show. The 6000 foot wall of fire at the end of Sundays show was incredible. Tom
3Dreaming is offline Find More Posts by 3Dreaming
Old 09-17-2007, 06:55 PM
It will fly!!!
Washington, Indiana
Joined Jan 2006
13,374 Posts

So you were the one this this one. It was an impressive looking aircraft. I hate that I missed the chance to meet and talk with you. I was waling around Saturday with my FlyingGiants shirt and hat.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by 3Dreaming
Doo It! Doo It!
Noble, IL USA
Joined Sep 2006
121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard View Post
So you were the one this this one. It was an impressive looking aircraft. I hate that I missed the chance to meet and talk with you. I was waling around Saturday with my FlyingGiants shirt and hat.
That was me. I didn't see a Flying Giants shirt, but with that many people it would be easy to miss. You need to come over here and fly with us sometime. Tom
3Dreaming is offline Find More Posts by 3Dreaming

Quick Reply