logo
Old 11-08-2015, 09:27 PM
Find More Posts by riverfront
Joined Nov 2006
150 Posts
Your thumbs are fine , the edge is a great flying plane. But i know of a lot of guys that either bailed on it or were at least flustrated with it at first. As far as the wings coming apart Rocco addressed that a while back.
riverfront is offline Find More Posts by riverfront
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-08-2015, 09:45 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
toledo ohio
Joined Jan 2009
10,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverfront View Post
Your thumbs are fine , the edge is a great flying plane. But i know of a lot of guys that either bailed on it or were at least flustrated with it at first. As far as the wings coming apart Rocco addressed that a while back.
If that's the case I hope AW replaces the OPs plane due to a known issue failure.
jamesrxx951 is online now Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 11-08-2015, 09:56 PM
Find More Posts by flymedic
Huckin Fire Trucker
United States, AZ, Littlefield
Joined Jan 2008
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverfront View Post
Thanks bro. The split ailerons should be done shortly then I'll get it back up & wringing it out again. I'm certain with no servo issues to worry about that I'll keep making little changes until i have it flying like i want. The videos of these Edges flyng let me know i sure can't hurt it
flymedic is offline Find More Posts by flymedic
Old 11-08-2015, 10:30 PM
Joined Nov 2006
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
If that's the case I hope AW replaces the OPs plane due to a known issue failure.
Maybe addressed it wasn't the right wording but i remember a discussion , really don't remember the outcome.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:45 PM
Find More Posts by dhal22
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Apr 2009
1,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhal22 View Post
Borderline warranty issue there.
I'm not the only one thinking this I see.
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old 11-08-2015, 11:12 PM
Find More Posts by AeroSheldon
Nobody has more fun than me!
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
3,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog9 View Post
Model planes are like real planes, they have structural 'G' limits. Model planes have vastly more power than real ones and you can and will get to and past the G limit quicker than you think. Over 'G ing' a plane may not cause failure on that flight but it will cause the wing and tail to fatigue. Over time these fatigues add up to a wing failure or tail failure when least expected.
You are wise.
AeroSheldon is offline Find More Posts by AeroSheldon
Old 11-09-2015, 09:11 AM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,616 Posts
Sadly the airframe in question was pretty dang new.
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 11-09-2015, 09:16 AM
Joined Nov 2006
150 Posts
I think the design is good , maybe not enough glue here and there.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:43 AM
Find More Posts by jhelber08
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2013
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
A bit like this one you mean. High Stress Wing Break by Johnathan Jennings 150cc AW Extra 300 - YouTube Unfortunate yes but this is a good example of a wing being pushed beyond acceptable limits!

It does seem like you have been unlucky though, hopefully aeroworks can at least offer a little support to get you back in the air. Though I guess this would just be out of good will so I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

I had a tail break on my H9 suk a few years back and they replaced the whole model(the one with servos). No matter how good these airframes are there is always the risk of a bad glue joint or something like that which can let go. Just don't let it put you off a particular brand, especially one with such a good reputation.
Having seen Johnathan fly in person a few times over the last year, I'm amazed that his planes stay together (regardless of the brand). I've also had the opportunity to ring out one of the AW 100cc extras and I really really liked the way it flew. But just when I start thinking about getting one, another "my wing just blew apart" thread pops up...bummer because they really fly nice. I hope the OP is taken care of and not just offered a 10% discount on his next aeroworks purchase.
jhelber08 is offline Find More Posts by jhelber08
Last edited by jhelber08; 11-09-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:02 AM
Find More Posts by planebender
www.planebenderproducts.c om
Sacramento,Ca.
Joined Jan 2006
3,140 Posts
I don't see that video of Johnathan flying to be over aggressive. Most all of it was classy old school 3-D and it looked to me he uses just enough throttle to get the maneuver done. With exception of the cobra at the end any 3-D plane should withstand that flight. Now, what was done before that flight.......?? Lol. He is a heck of a good stick.
planebender is offline Find More Posts by planebender
Old 11-09-2015, 11:20 AM
Find More Posts by KenSue
United States, MS, Gulfport
Joined Jan 2011
1,200 Posts
Mine had about 20 flights on it. I don't do much high energy stuff (not that talented). But I do dabble into 3d, the old school stuff. I was coming out of a lazy flat spin, and the right side of the plane dipped. I corrected, and it dipped again. I thought it was a servo issue, and limped the plane in for a landing. As it got closer I could tell the right wing was canted upward just past the area were the wing tube stops (it looked like a corsair wing).

After getting it on the ground, and looking...both wings had cracks in the majority of the ribs. The ultracote was the only thing holding them together.

I am not a builder, so the terminology may be wrong. But the "webbing" that was supposed to be behind the wing tube socket was not done correctly. I may be wrong, but I believe the "webbing" was supposed to fix the previous issues of wing failures. My plane was purchased after the wing failure issues were addressed.

Could the webbing have been my problem, or my flying (I had done a few blenders and other high G loading maneuvers before the failure, on other flights), who knows. But I've never had a wing do that on anything I've flown (mostly .40 size to 60cc size).

I have a new set of wings, and have about 60+ flights on them since the failure. I occasionally do a blender here and there (but I don't snap into them near as hard). Now I do a quick visual inspection of my wings, and fuse after a day at the field...every time.

I'm not giving up on Aeroworks though. I've got friends that have several different Aeroworks planes (all 100cc and bigger), and they give them Hell and they keep ticking. Mine flies extremely well, now (rock solid).

I would buy again, but I would have to ponder it a little harder than I did my last purchase.
KenSue is offline Find More Posts by KenSue
Old 11-09-2015, 11:31 AM
Find More Posts by ChrisC
United Kingdom, Scotland, Irvine
Joined Nov 2007
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planebender View Post
I don't see that video of Johnathan flying to be over aggressive. Most all of it was classy old school 3-D and it looked to me he uses just enough throttle to get the maneuver done. With exception of the cobra at the end any 3-D plane should withstand that flight. Now, what was done before that flight.......?? Lol. He is a heck of a good stick.
I agree with you that most of the flight was perfectly safe for the model, up until the snake where the wing breaks that is. In fact I think even the current trend of high energy pop tops and crankshafts probably stress the plane less as you are in a stalled state. Here the plane is essentially being "pumped" up and down at high speed, wing is getting stressed hard, these wings are not really designed to flex like a full size. Might have got away with it with a 100CC model but 40% needs just a little extra care.

Just my opinion of course.
ChrisC is offline Find More Posts by ChrisC
Old 11-09-2015, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by jhelber08
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2013
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I agree with you that most of the flight was perfectly safe for the model, up until the snake where the wing breaks that is. In fact I think even the current trend of high energy pop tops and crankshafts probably stress the plane less as you are in a stalled state. Here the plane is essentially being "pumped" up and down at high speed, wing is getting stressed hard, these wings are not really designed to flex like a full size. Might have got away with it with a 100CC model but 40% needs just a little extra care.

Just my opinion of course.
That was an old video. If you watch him fly now, he does alot of the "modern" high energy type stuff..first time I saw him fly I was wowed at what he was doing with an AW plane given their reputation. Either way I agree that flight was gentle compared to his normal "routine".
jhelber08 is offline Find More Posts by jhelber08
Old 11-09-2015, 02:08 PM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,616 Posts
Yeah, ask Joe Smith about AW reputation. I don't know him personally, but he's flying AW now, and paying for it himself. That's all you really need to know! "BEST FLYING AIRPLANE I HAVE EVER OWNED" J.S. without the yelling lol!
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 11-09-2015, 02:23 PM
Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Sponsored by my wife & girls
United States, AL, Mountain Brook
Joined Jun 2008
10,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSue View Post
Mine had about 20 flights on it. I don't do much high energy stuff (not that talented). But I do dabble into 3d, the old school stuff. I was coming out of a lazy flat spin, and the right side of the plane dipped. I corrected, and it dipped again. I thought it was a servo issue, and limped the plane in for a landing. As it got closer I could tell the right wing was canted upward just past the area were the wing tube stops (it looked like a corsair wing).

After getting it on the ground, and looking...both wings had cracks in the majority of the ribs. The ultracote was the only thing holding them together.

I am not a builder, so the terminology may be wrong. But the "webbing" that was supposed to be behind the wing tube socket was not done correctly. I may be wrong, but I believe the "webbing" was supposed to fix the previous issues of wing failures. My plane was purchased after the wing failure issues were addressed.

Could the webbing have been my problem, or my flying (I had done a few blenders and other high G loading maneuvers before the failure, on other flights), who knows. But I've never had a wing do that on anything I've flown (mostly .40 size to 60cc size).

I have a new set of wings, and have about 60+ flights on them since the failure. I occasionally do a blender here and there (but I don't snap into them near as hard). Now I do a quick visual inspection of my wings, and fuse after a day at the field...every time.

I'm not giving up on Aeroworks though. I've got friends that have several different Aeroworks planes (all 100cc and bigger), and they give them Hell and they keep ticking. Mine flies extremely well, now (rock solid).

I would buy again, but I would have to ponder it a little harder than I did my last purchase.
Ken, was this at WAAM Field? If so, I can vouch for it. I did see this flight if it's the one I'm thinking of...
Phil Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Phil Griffin

Quick Reply