Old 04-15-2017, 10:49 AM
Find More Posts by Spartacvs
How did I crash it this time..
United States, NY, Florida
Joined Oct 2016
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
Sorry to see that happen, but we all have it some time or another. Unless you want a direct 30cc replacement I think you will find this very easy to fly and it will be able to accomodate your growing skills.
Jeff

http://extremeflightrc.com/84-Turbo-...me_p_2296.html
Thanks for your post Jeff,
That Bushmaster looks great. However, the price point is a bit over budget for me. When I added up things it was getting into the $700 range for electric and thats without buying batteries. I suppose if I go with a new Hangar9 Stik at $300 plus accessories it'll put me in the same ballpark but I can utilize the gas.
Also... I can pick up a PnP Beaver for $360
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/fmm-090p.html

-Matt-
Spartacvs is offline Find More Posts by Spartacvs
Last edited by Spartacvs; 04-15-2017 at 10:53 AM. Reason: need to say more
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-15-2017, 11:28 AM
Find More Posts by JMFLYING
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2015
287 Posts
JMFLYING is offline Find More Posts by JMFLYING
Last edited by JMFLYING; 05-04-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:31 AM
Find More Posts by JMFLYING
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2015
287 Posts
JMFLYING is offline Find More Posts by JMFLYING
Last edited by JMFLYING; 05-04-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:38 PM
Find More Posts by boothg-3
rhome , texas
Joined May 2008
436 Posts
You stated your using a four cell hydramax for the radio
Although manufacturers state the radio is rated for 4.8 to 6.0 volts it has been an issue with most 2.4 ghz systems when using 4.8 the receiver can brown out under servo loads
I've duplicated on my radio on the bench using a 4.8 battery and loading the servo,s so I only use five cell batteries or as of late I use life batteries with 6.6
Possibly this brought your plane down
boothg-3 is offline Find More Posts by boothg-3
Old 04-15-2017, 12:42 PM
Joined Oct 2016
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boothg-3 View Post
Although manufacturers state the radio is rated for 4.8 to 6.0 volts it has been an issue with most 2.4 ghz systems when using 4.8 the receiver can brown out under servo loads
I've duplicated on my radio on the bench using a 4.8 battery and loading the servo,s so I only use five cell batteries or as of late I use life batteries with 6.6
Thanks for your reply Boot...
Yes, some fellows at my field made the same observation post mortem...
Old 04-15-2017, 12:52 PM
Find More Posts by Eric_04
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Jan 2017
427 Posts
Im using a taranis x9d+ and mostly x8r receivers. I was setting control throws on a new build and was using a 4.8v nimh I had laying around. It was causing my receiver to lock up and I just assumed the battery was low as I couldnt recall the last time I used it or charged it. So just out of curiosity I charged it and hooked it back up a couple days later. Moving the ailerons, elevator, and rudder at the same time caused the voltage to drop enough to lock up the receiver. It took a good 3-5 seconds for it to come back each time I tried it. This was with a fully charged 4.8v nimh on a 50 size nitro with some basic Hitec 425 and 485 servos, all brand new.

That experience was the kick I needed to switch to Life batteries. I had flown all my glow and gas planes with 6 volt nimh batteries without issue previously. I honestly dont even remember why I had a 4.8 nimh laying around. Perhaps it was a bad battery, but after measuring the voltage sag compared to the Life batteries, the only nimh battery I have left is in my radio. I sold the rest of my nimh batteries to another club member.

Long story short, I had a negative experience with 4.8 nimh and I dont trust them with the receivers I use. Its not worth crashing a plane because of a battery. And now that I have built a couple larger gas planes with 7+ digital servos Im really not fond of nimh batteries period. My recommendation? Switch to a different battery chemistry, and dont use 4.8v with Frsky stuff. If nothing else, run the 4.8v on your ignition and use the 6v for your receiver power.
Eric_04 is offline Find More Posts by Eric_04
Old 04-15-2017, 12:56 PM
Find More Posts by 3DJP
United States, NJ, Penns Grove
Joined Dec 2015
945 Posts
Great planes 30cc Escapade.. $329 from Tower very nice flyer and is a good airframe to grow on.. Sorry for you incident.. Get rid of those nimh for your flight pack.. Get yourself a 3200mam LiFe pack you dont have to regulate it and it will last you all day.. Good luck
3DJP is offline Find More Posts by 3DJP
Old 04-15-2017, 02:44 PM
Joined Oct 2016
82 Posts
Good stuff... Thanks Everyone...

I've made a mistake... let me explain...
I was able to get into a much larger plane than I could really afford. I only paid $200 for a 30cc engine, plane and electronics. You just can't beat the price. However, I can't replace it for that price point.
I think a good rule of thumb should be don't fly it if you can't replace it. I keep looking at the new stuff in the $300 range... Hangar9's stik is $299... Escapade $329 (not sure if this is too much plane for me???)... I need to use the same Fuji engine becasue I can't afford another one. If I had to buy one new I am looking at another $280 or so and I want to use the futaba servos x7. If I have to replace them I am looking at another $150-$200 or so... It all keeps adding up and my pockets just aren't that deep.
What's a poor boy to do???
Old 04-15-2017, 02:47 PM
Find More Posts by Keith Cannon
Only Amateurs Measure First
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Apr 2016
1,389 Posts
http://www.peakmodel.com/index.php?m...ex&cPath=1_112
Keith Cannon is offline Find More Posts by Keith Cannon
Old 04-15-2017, 02:47 PM
Joined Oct 2016
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFLYING View Post
The value Hobby stick is very easy to fly and will help your confidence and skills. It will also perform aerobatics well. The hardware is great and builds easy
Out Of Stock...
At $179 I am not surprised... That would have been perfect.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:53 PM
Joined Oct 2016
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Cannon View Post
Love the look of the SBACH300
http://www.peakmodel.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=1765

Yellow top and Black bottom... $249
This is KILLING ME!!!

Is this too much plane for my somewhat novice skill level? I had just started flying the stik.
I am going to have to get new servos... $$$
Last edited by Spartacvs; 04-15-2017 at 02:57 PM. Reason: more to say...
Old 04-15-2017, 02:55 PM
Find More Posts by 3DJP
United States, NJ, Penns Grove
Joined Dec 2015
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacvs View Post
Good stuff... Thanks Everyone...

I've made a mistake... let me explain...
I was able to get into a much larger plane than I could really afford. I only paid $200 for a 30cc engine, plane and electronics. You just can't beat the price. However, I can't replace it for that price point.
I think a good rule of thumb should be don't fly it if you can't replace it. I keep looking at the new stuff in the $300 range... Hangar9's stik is $299... Escapade $329 (not sure if this is too much plane for me???)... I need to use the same Fuji engine becasue I can't afford another one. If I had to buy one new I am looking at another $280 or so and I want to use the futaba servos x7. If I have to replace them I am looking at another $150-$200 or so... It all keeps adding up and my pockets just aren't that deep.
What's a poor boy to do???
Tower has Easy Pay.. Use your debit card and they take it in installments.. No credit check or any of that nonsense.. I have bought many items on that system! Lol
3DJP is offline Find More Posts by 3DJP
Old 04-15-2017, 03:01 PM
Find More Posts by Keith Cannon
Only Amateurs Measure First
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Apr 2016
1,389 Posts
Use paypal credit - If its over 100 then you get 6 months no interest financing.

As for a scale aerobatic plane being too much for you:
It sounds like you have enough skill to fly one but are lacking some confidence. This IMO is a good thing.
You mention that you have someone who buddy boxes with you. You can fly this plane and continue on the buddy box and slowly transition away from it just like you were doing on your stick.

Lastly everyone sets these planes up for "3D Throws" which makes them wild and hard to control for a novice pilot. Set one up "IMAC style" and you will find that it will be docile. Just know it will not be as forgiving as a stick but a stick is an ultra easy plane to fly.

If you get one throw the servo extensions in the trash and buy 1" servo arms and you will stay in a safe zone for throws.

Also know that you would be buying a cheaper kit so plan to spend some extra time assembling. Usually the covering needs TLC and things may not fit the best but the slight work that has to be done is simple.
Keith Cannon is offline Find More Posts by Keith Cannon
Old 04-19-2017, 09:08 AM
Find More Posts by mudboger07
United States, TX, Tyler
Joined Dec 2011
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boothg-3 View Post

Just an opinion but I agree with this, never use a 4 cell NMH battery with a gasser, either a123, life or lipo, sorry for your loss.
mudboger07 is offline Find More Posts by mudboger07
Old 04-19-2017, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by castlebravo
It's the Summer Of George
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Mar 2007
2,331 Posts
I'm going to go a different route and call the ignition suspect. Fuji engines are notorious for their lousy ignitions....they are VERY noisy and will induce interference into your radio system. 2.4ghz is not immune to this interference.....it gets into the servo wires and causes all sorts of bad things to happen. I'm not a big fan of NiMh radio batteries but I would look into the ignition or the plug cap......if you get glitching while the engine is running but it stops when it's not running.....the ignition system is the primary cause for this.

CB
castlebravo is offline Find More Posts by castlebravo

Quick Reply