logo

Product Perspective: Shark Jaw Viper

Years back, I was introduced to foam flying wings at my local slope hill. Up untill then all our slope planes were either balsa and monokote or, for better performance, glass fuselage's with sheeted foam core wings. One day a fellow slope flyer came out with a foam flying wing that looked like his 6yr.old son had put together. It was about 30" wide and held together with straping tape and spit, I think. Anyway, we all took turns flying it and we all thought "this is it!" a cheap combat plane that could be field repaired with 5 min epoxy and could go from building board to sky in a day! Well, needless to say, we all built these little foamys and had the time of our lives trying to knock each other out of the air.
Years later, as a natural progression, people started putting electric motors on the back of these wings. I don't know who did it first but it was probably someone who didn't have a slope nearby. The motors were brushed and the batteries were nicads and they were heavy. Performance was OK but nothing to write home about.
Now, flash forward a few years, some enterprising manufacturers are making flying wing ARF'S that have everything you need to get into the air in no time. One of these companies is Shark Jaw Toys, who make a variety of cool flying wings. This one is the Viper, which is a ducted fan "tri wing". I'm using the word "tri wing" for lack of a better word and as you can see by the pictures, it's kind of hard, at least for me, to come up with a better description. I guess I could say "This is one bad ass looking wing"!
The Viper comes with everything you need to get it flying right now! This includes: Pre installed controll surfaces (elevons) servos and linkage, transmitter and receiver, and a 3s 1300 mAh lipo battery. All you need to do to get it flying is; snap in the prefabricated landing gear, install the nose wheel, and screw on the horizontal fins on the wing tips. That's it. Talk about "Plug-n-Play', it couldn't get any easier.

Splash

Product Review:
Viper

Perspective By:
Brett"Heydick"Bayless

Manufacturer Contact:
Shark Jaw Toys
P.O. Box 851325
Yukon, OK 73085

Manufacturer Website:

www.iwatoyco.com

FlyingGiants Ratings:

Packaging:
Kit Quality:
Ease of Build:
Overall:
Introduction

Highslide JS       Highslide JS

Years back, I was introduced to foam flying wings at my local slope hill. Up untill then all our slope planes were either balsa and monokote or, for better performance, glass fuselage's with sheeted foam core wings. One day a fellow slope flyer came out with a foam flying wing that looked like his 6yr.old son had put together. It was about 30" wide and held together with straping tape and spit, I think. Anyway, we all took turns flying it and we all thought "this is it!" a cheap combat plane that could be field repaired with 5 min epoxy and could go from building board to sky in a day! Well, needless to say, we all built these little foamys and had the time of our lives trying to knock each other out of the air.
Years later, as a natural progression, people started putting electric motors on the back of these wings. I don't know who did it first but it was probably someone who didn't have a slope nearby. The motors were brushed and the batteries were nicads and they were heavy. Performance was OK but nothing to write home about.
Now, flash forward a few years, some enterprising manufacturers are making flying wing ARF'S that have everything you need to get into the air in no time. One of these companies is Shark Jaw Toys, who make a variety of cool flying wings. This one is the Viper, which is a ducted fan "tri wing". I'm using the word "tri wing" for lack of a better word and as you can see by the pictures, it's kind of hard, at least for me, to come up with a better description. I guess I could say "This is one bad ass looking wing"!
The Viper comes with everything you need to get it flying right now! This includes: Pre installed controll surfaces (elevons) servos and linkage, transmitter and receiver, and a 3s 1300 mAh lipo battery. All you need to do to get it flying is; snap in the prefabricated landing gear, install the nose wheel, and screw on the horizontal fins on the wing tips. That's it. Talk about "Plug-n-Play', it couldn't get any easier.

Out of the Box:

Highslide JS Highslide JS Highslide JS Highslide JS

Everything has it's place in the foam box and nothing was damaged. One thing I noticed right away was a CDR disc that was a flight simulator software disc, very cool. Also included was an instruction booklet for the simulator and an instruction manual for the plane. As I''ve said, almost everything has been done for you right out of the box: The elevons are already pre hinged. The elevon servos are already installed and the controll horns and rods are pre assembled and installed, same with the servo for the steerable nose wheel. The 6 channel 72mhz receiver is also pre installed and the servos are already plugged in ready to go, and the ESC is also in there, however, I can't tell how many amps the ESC is. The landing gear is pre assembled and ready to be snapped into place as is the nose wheel. It has the graphic decals already applied to the top and bottom of the wings and fuselage, and has a big, soft, rubber nose piece up front, for those not so perfect landings. The Viper also comes with a basic 4 channel transmitter with servo reversing switching on all 4 channels and requires 8 AA batteries.
I don't know what kind of foam the Viper is made out of, but it looks to be similar to the "Elapor" foam that Multiplex uses on their planes, which BTW, is very durable. I did a test with regular CA on the bottom of a wing, and the CA DID eat it, so any repairs should be made with foam safe CA or epoxy.

Product Specifications

Ducted Fan: 2.5"dia. 6 blade
Wingspan: 26"
Length: 26"
4 Channel: 3 servos 1 throttle
Motor: Brushless (Mfg unknown)
ESC: 25amp ? (Mfg unknown)
Receiver: 6 channel 72MHz (Mfg unknown)
Servos: 3; 2 for elevons, 1 for steerable nose wheel (Mfg unknown)
AUW: 530gr. 18.72ozs
WOT: 18 amps 200 watts

Putting It All Together

Not much to do here. I threw the battery on the charger while I put the Viper together. First I snaped in the landing gear. Then, with the supplied hex key, I screwed on the nose wheel. Next, I screwed on the wing tip fins. After that, I got a beer and waited for the battery to finish charging. That's it folks, that's all there is to it.

Highslide JS 1 Highslide JS 2 Highslide JS 3 Highslide JS 4

Product Performance

Before the maiden I debated with myself to hand launch, because of a not so smooth dirt runway, or or take off from the ground. I decided on the ground take off just to see how long it would take to get her airborn. I advanced the throttle to full and the Viper was in the air after about 60-70 ft.picking up momentum along the way. I put a few clicks of roll trim to get a level flight and made a turn around. By this time the little plane had a pretty good head of steam on her and it zipped by at about 50-60 mph. At the end of the runway I pulled the nose to vertical and let the Viper climb straight up. For those of you wondering if it has "unlimited vertical", the answer is no. The speed gradually bled off untill it flopped over at about 250 ft. and the nose was pointed at terra firma. Now, normally, I would cut the throttle with a plane in this attitude (kinda hard to break that training), but in this case I just left the throttle wide open and headed straight down. That little 6 blade ducted fan was screaming by the time I pulled to level at 10 ft. The Viper never broke stride and zoomed past me like a pissed off hornet looking for revenge. I then rolled to inverted to see how she handled upside down. It was just about the same as upright flight and only a little down stick was required to keep it level. On to rolls. I rolled the plane back to upright and held it there for a few seconds then slammed the stick over. The Viper rolled at about 1 1/2 to 2 rolls per second and was very axial. I'm sure if you switched over to your regular transmitter with adjustable ATV's (endpoints), you could get it to roll much faster.
I flew around, rolling, looping, and flying upside down, untill the loss of power told me it was time to land. No drama there, just flew final into the wind, reduced the power untill the Viper was about 3 ft. off the runway, cut the throttle, and floated her in. BTW, it does float very nicely with power off.

Highslide JS

Tips For Success

The only thing I can think of to improve it's flight characteristics would be to use your own transmitter so you can utilize ATV, expo, and dual rates. One other thing I noticed is that the lipo battery that comes with the package has only a 10C discharge rate. With this kind of plane, most people will have a tendency to fly full throttle (WOT). I mettered an 18 amp draw, static, on my wattmeter. Being that the included battery is 1300 mAh and has a 10C continious discharge rate, that puts it at a 13amp discharge. Even considering the power system will unload in the air, let's say drop to 15amp draw, IMO, that battery will be dead within 25 flights. I think to get the most out of this plane you'll need 20C batteries, at the least 15C.

Conclusion

The Viper is what it is; an inexpensive all inclusive ready to fly cool looking foam flying wing. At $100 it's a lot of bang for the buck considering you get everything you need to get her in the air, including a transmitter and lipo battery. If you break down the components individually and price them out, it's pretty amazing that Shark Jaw can sell this plane at this price. A brushless motor and 6 channel receiver, speed control, 3s 1300mAh lipo battery, 3 servos and linkage, and a transmitter. Those alone would cost you more than that, then throw in the plane itself, the simulator software, and the packaging and it makes me scratch my head in wonder.
The packaging says the the Viper is "Suitable For First Time Fliers", well, maybe if one was blessed with supernatural thumbs like Leseberg or Kyle, one could fly it around on the first try. But I think the first time flier would be much better off with an Easy Star or something forgiving like that. With that being said, I think the Viper is perfect for an intermediate on up pilot who's on a limited budget and likes to "Bank and Yank".

Shark Jaw Toys
P.O. Box 851325
Yukon, OK 73085
www.iwatoyco.com
There are no posts

Quick Reply