logo
Old 09-27-2019, 01:59 PM
Find More Posts by jersey flyer
United States, NJ, Millville
Joined Sep 2015
323 Posts
Question
DX18 model transfer

So, I have a DX18 Gen 1, Picked up a used DX18 Gen 2, Is it really as easy as transferring all the models to the SD card, then just put the card in the gen 2 and tell it to upload all models? I have like 13 models in the gen 1, Would hate to mess up and have to reprogram all my planes.
jersey flyer is online now Find More Posts by jersey flyer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-27-2019, 02:45 PM
Find More Posts by rocket_33
Joined Jan 2012
210 Posts
Yup
rocket_33 is online now Find More Posts by rocket_33
Old 09-27-2019, 02:53 PM
Find More Posts by DGrant
Just havin' fun!
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2006
550 Posts
As always suggested, back up your wanted/good files to your PC after you put them on the SC card, just to make sure(you should always keep them backed up when/if you make any major changes or add a model). That's your best bet of not loosing anything... and yes it's an easy process. You shouldn't have any problems importing them.

Make sure both DX radios are running the same, current version of AirWare (to make doubly sure everything is compatible), and your good to go.

You're going to like the G2. Very nice radio right there.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old 09-27-2019, 03:23 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
4,055 Posts
Do not tell it to import all models. Import only actual models that have created. Otherwise you get all of the uncreated models.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 09-27-2019, 10:32 PM
Find More Posts by KMatch
United States, TX, Bay City
Joined Nov 2016
585 Posts
Not sure what fg above is trying to say, but a bit of care can make things cleaner depending on how you managed models. First, like said again, update both to the latest firmware. If you have 13 on the radio it won't hurt to look at the backup you created on the sd with a computer and verify only 13 models. Moving, renaming, and other tinkering many times creates models that don't overwrite previous planes on the sd but create new planes and this can clutter things up.

The cleanest method is to format the card with the radio, NOT a computer. Then backup all from the g1 to sd. Then upload all to the g2. You're done after rebinding each one but verify things like throws and servo directions just to be sure.

Be aware if you upload again, you'll now have 26 planes so be careful. Dx to sd will overwrite files on the sd so 13 will remain 13. Sd to dx will create new planes on the dx every time rather than overwrite so 13 will be 26, then 39...
KMatch is offline Find More Posts by KMatch
Old 09-28-2019, 06:55 AM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
9,736 Posts
Actually the best way to format the card is to use a computer and the SD Formatter utility that Spektrum recommends

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/index.html

Another tip, create a folder on your computer that includes the date for backups because the files themselves use a default date so you can't tell which are the most recent files.

So I have a folder DX18Backup_Sept1_2019
I format the card as above
Then I do an export all models
Then copy those files to my computer under that folder.

I mess with a LOT of SPM files so this is how I keep them straight and make sure the most current are available if I muff something up
BarracudaHockey is online now Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 10-02-2019, 07:17 AM
Joined Sep 2015
323 Posts
Tried one model transfer last night, copy the model to the sd card on the gen 1, then put the card in the g-2, told it import model, which it did, but it says it will add model to end of list before it transferred. Now in my g-1 the model was model # 13, when it transferred it shows up as model #22 in the list. How can I make this model #1, there are no other models in the g-2 list, but there are about 12 or so on the sd card that I backed up a wile ago, trying to upload in the order that I prefer as opposed to how they are listed in radio now , meaning, my laser is my throw in the truck and run out and fly real quick, but it is # 10 in the g-1 model list, would like it to model 1 in the g-2, with a #1 next to it instead of # 10 being my first model in the list,can this be done somehow?
Old 10-02-2019, 07:42 AM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
9,736 Posts
Go into the System menu
Select Model Utilities
Sort Model List

Highlight a model by pressing the scroll bar. Scroll it to where you want it, click again to drop it.

You can put them in any order you want.
BarracudaHockey is online now Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 10-02-2019, 08:50 AM
Joined Sep 2015
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
Go into the System menu
Select Model Utilities
Sort Model List

Highlight a model by pressing the scroll bar. Scroll it to where you want it, click again to drop it.

You can put them in any order you want.
I did that to, and the number went with the model meaning, if I moved model # 10 to the first model in the list, it remained #10 and model #1 moves to model #2 position in the list, but #1 remains next to it. I must be missing something here
Old 10-02-2019, 08:57 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
4,055 Posts
nope, just one more step. the model number is editable in the model name menu. it is assigned when the model is initially saved, but can be changed or deleted.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 10-02-2019, 09:02 AM
Joined Sep 2015
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
nope, just one more step. the model number is editable in the model name menu. it is assigned when the model is initially saved, but can be changed or deleted.
ugh, is that in the manual or what, brief outline on how to just change number would be helpful, thanks
Old 10-02-2019, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by KMatch
United States, TX, Bay City
Joined Nov 2016
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey flyer View Post
ugh, is that in the manual or what, brief outline on how to just change number would be helpful, thanks
The number you see as a problem is now only text added to the name during some of the previous steps. Change the number by editing the name of the model. That doesn't change its position in the list as in the procedure above moves the model in the list. It just changes or removes the actual visible number which is now part of the name. Kind of odd but it's what we deal with.
KMatch is offline Find More Posts by KMatch
Old 10-02-2019, 05:56 PM
Joined Sep 2015
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMatch View Post
The number you see as a problem is now only text added to the name during some of the previous steps. Change the number by editing the name of the model. That doesn't change its position in the list as in the procedure above moves the model in the list. It just changes or removes the actual visible number which is now part of the name. Kind of odd but it's what we deal with.
ok, got it figured out, thanks for all the help guys,

Quick Reply