logo
Old 09-29-2015, 04:49 AM
Find More Posts by bhouin
United States, MI, Milford Charter Twp
Joined Aug 2007
25 Posts
Discussion
Chicago area any comps next year?

Just curious if there is any talk about a competition in the Chicago area for next year. I liked the Fox Valley one as well as the Rockford one. Sadly neither one happened this year.
bhouin is offline Find More Posts by bhouin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-29-2015, 06:23 AM
Find More Posts by Surfer Dude
Team JR Propo
Antarctica
Joined Jan 2006
704 Posts
IMAC is kinda dead in the Chicago land area. If you come out to shoe factory road alot of the guys practice it there kinda for fun.
Surfer Dude is offline Find More Posts by Surfer Dude
Old 09-29-2015, 01:24 PM
Find More Posts by Professor
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Nov 2006
467 Posts
I have family in the Chicago area and would love to fly in an IMAC contest and stay with family. Back in the early 2000s Chicago was a hotbed of IMAC. I attended events at Thorncreek R/C Club in 2001 and 2002 (southside) and at Chicago R/C modelers in 2002 and 2003 in a nice public park. Somebody needs to work on bringing back IMAC events to the area. There are plenty of people that would attend!
Professor is offline Find More Posts by Professor
Old 09-29-2015, 02:24 PM
Team JR Propo
Antarctica
Joined Jan 2006
704 Posts
Everyone that you know Kurt that was doing it no longer does or is flying pattern
Old 09-29-2015, 08:11 PM
Find More Posts by Professor
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Nov 2006
467 Posts
The only way to increase local participation is to hold a local contest. Areas that have maintained contests continue to have good participation from pilots located within a 1-2 hour drive. If you build it, they will come. In August 2014 the Chicagoland IMAC contest had 15 competitors. There are still some pilots in Chicago that fly IMAC.
Professor is offline Find More Posts by Professor
Old 09-30-2015, 04:52 AM
Joined Aug 2007
25 Posts
Would love to see either of these events start back up in the Chicago area. The Chicagoland IMAC challenge at fvac was a nice location at a great field. Doug and crew always did a great job running the event. I was unable to attend in 2014 due to illness. Any word on why they didn't hold one in 2015 or if there is any discussions going on that might indicate a return for 2016?
Old 09-30-2015, 06:27 AM
Team JR Propo
Antarctica
Joined Jan 2006
704 Posts
The club with all of their new flying reatrictions and Doug, Dave and Dan really don't fly IMAC anymore. All 3 are really good friends Dan has moved into pattern, Dave doesn't fly much anymore, and Doug has flown other stuff.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:10 PM
Find More Posts by Dozer Blade
Yeah~ try the other left
Joined Apr 2008
156 Posts
This has been a concern of mine since I began putting together the NC contest schedule early this year. I attended Fox Valley a couple of years ago and had a great time. I spoke to Doug last January and was aware of the issues the club has unfortunately had to deal with. This is one reason I developed a demographic map so I could better understand where the pilot density to contest ratio was within our region. If you look on the old IMAC site under the NC schedule you can click on NC Demographic map to see what I'm talking about. Kurt is absolutely correct- there are a number of IMAC pilots in the Chicago area and they unfortunately no longer have a contest in the area. The good news is that I have been having some discussions with a nearby club that is serious about holding a contest. I won't let the cat out of the bag, but there are two individuals who our serious about having a great contest and I was impressed by their desire to make this happen. So go look at the demographic map on the old IMAC website and take a quick look at what I'm getting at and then get signed up on the new website so you can keep an eye on the schedule.
Dozer Blade is offline Find More Posts by Dozer Blade
Old 10-02-2015, 02:44 PM
Joined Aug 2007
25 Posts
sounds positive. thanks. I will keep an eye out for more information.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:39 PM
Find More Posts by jim52919
United States, IL, South Holland
Joined Oct 2013
38 Posts
I live in South Holland IL, which is a southern suburb of Chicago. I belong to the Thorncreek club in Lansing IL and the Sundowners club in Wheeler IN. I know the regionals were held at the Sundowners club maybe 10 or 15 years ago, before I started flying IMAC . Thorncreek had contests before that.
The Sundowners club field is a beautiful field and would be a fine place for a contest. It's about 40 miles from Downtown Chicago. Myself and 2 other guys in the Sundowners club are interested in IMAC. I am not sure if the club would go for a contest. That would mean closing the field for 2 days. I will ask some of the club members and see if there is any interest.
Jim
jim52919 is offline Find More Posts by jim52919
Old 10-14-2015, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by jerry ream
Flying straight lines
Roscoe, illinois USA
Joined Feb 2006
88 Posts
Rockford IMAC

The Rockford club is planning on having an IMAC contest next year (2016). Tentative dates will be July 9-10 if approved the IMAC.
jerry ream is offline Find More Posts by jerry ream
Old 10-15-2015, 03:43 AM
Joined Aug 2007
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry ream View Post
The Rockford club is planning on having an IMAC contest next year (2016). Tentative dates will be July 9-10 if approved the IMAC.
Jerry,
This is great news. Had a great time there last time.

Regards,
Bob
Old 10-15-2015, 03:44 AM
Joined Aug 2007
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim52919 View Post
I live in South Holland IL, which is a southern suburb of Chicago. I belong to the Thorncreek club in Lansing IL and the Sundowners club in Wheeler IN. I know the regionals were held at the Sundowners club maybe 10 or 15 years ago, before I started flying IMAC . Thorncreek had contests before that.
The Sundowners club field is a beautiful field and would be a fine place for a contest. It's about 40 miles from Downtown Chicago. Myself and 2 other guys in the Sundowners club are interested in IMAC. I am not sure if the club would go for a contest. That would mean closing the field for 2 days. I will ask some of the club members and see if there is any interest.
Jim
Jim,

I wish you the best of luck in getting an event at the Sundowners field.

Regards,
Bob
Old 10-16-2015, 07:59 AM
Find More Posts by Dozer Blade
Yeah~ try the other left
Joined Apr 2008
156 Posts
Hey Jerry,
Good to hear from you!
Not sure if you are aware that the Nats dates have been tentatively planned for 7/5-7/9 (same week as last year).
Dozer Blade is offline Find More Posts by Dozer Blade
Old 10-16-2015, 08:10 AM
Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Team Twisted!
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Mar 2006
5,907 Posts
What is Doug flying these days?
It's a shame he quit.
He was developing into an excellent IMAC pilot quickly!
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R

Quick Reply