logo
Old 03-28-2010, 11:44 PM
Find More Posts by Flatlandman
Your my boy Blue!!!1
Lexington Kentucky U.S.A.
Joined Jan 2006
4,698 Posts
Re: 40% 118" Yak 55 (Hempel)

If theres any chance to get some video, I wouldnt be apposed to some IMAC flight footage.
Flatlandman is offline Find More Posts by Flatlandman
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Find More Posts by hannustar
Carpe Diem
Malta, St Julian's
Joined Jun 2008
2,382 Posts

How would this compare to the Krill Yak 55M?
hannustar is offline Find More Posts by hannustar
Old 04-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Find More Posts by Jcarte
It's a beautiful RC day!
Jacksonville Fl
Joined Jan 2006
1,768 Posts

I have not yet started to assemble my 40% Hemple, but I have owned the Krill and it is simular in some ways but on the most part it is very different. The cowl is larger and more scale looking, pocket hinges, canopy looks more scale, and of course the airframe is made of wood.
Jcarte is offline Find More Posts by Jcarte
Old 04-18-2010, 01:21 AM
Find More Posts by hannustar
Carpe Diem
Malta, St Julian's
Joined Jun 2008
2,382 Posts

Hi Jcarte,
thanks for your answer.Some of the things that you listed I had noticed them on pics, I asked more for flying.I intend making the jump to 40% and another Yak would be great especially the 55 so it's either between these 2.I would be using it for freestyle competition so I whant the best airframe as much as possible.Would be nice from you to give me some answers once you fly it,thanks.
hannustar is offline Find More Posts by hannustar
Old 04-18-2010, 03:37 AM
Find More Posts by choppedlow
BONAFIED
Yuma, Mexizona
Joined Jan 2006
797 Posts

Bill, when is the next boat from China on it's frickin' way? Tell them to do an all white one with my name on it! (I think I"m the only person who want's an all white plane) How many of the Ultimates do you still have laying around? One way or the other, I have to keep up with the Jones's...... or as they call them down here, the Bustil's...
choppedlow is offline Find More Posts by choppedlow
Old 04-18-2010, 06:54 AM
Find More Posts by 3dubya
//////////////////////////////
Stralya - down there aye bloke
Joined Feb 2006
4,283 Posts

Bill how would I go getting one of these in Australia.

Tony
3dubya is offline Find More Posts by 3dubya
Old 04-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by toc pilot
Tucson, Az.
Joined Jan 2006
2,055 Posts

Hi guys, well I went out to the field yesterday and flew 4 flights on the new Yak.......... its a keeper! I am using a 3W-170 and for some reason the power is down a bit. Last night after flying I removed the canisters/headers and installed mufflers. I saved 2 pounds 2 ounces, that should make a bit of a difference. My thought process is that these are some old canisters and maybe there is some blockage. My airplane felt very nose-heavy anyway.... I'm sure going to mufflers the plane will feel different today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbacosa View Post
Hows the trimming goin' Bill? Any flight reports?
So far. so good. I ran through the new 2010 IMAC sequence and felt pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandman View Post
If theres any chance to get some video, I wouldnt be apposed to some IMAC flight footage.
There is an IMAC contest this coming weekend, we'll see if I can have someone shoot me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannustar View Post
How would this compare to the Krill Yak 55M?
JCARTE has had a Krill and now has one of mine..... he is in a much better position to give an unbiased oppinion than me... we'll wait to see what he has to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedlow View Post
Bill, when is the next boat from China on it's frickin' way? Tell them to do an all white one with my name on it! (I think I"m the only person who want's an all white plane) How many of the Ultimates do you still have laying around? One way or the other, I have to keep up with the Jones's...... or as they call them down here, the Bustil's...
I have (1) remaining Ultimate in stock. If you really want an 'all white' Yak, you still have time (but not much), You will need to pre-pay for the YAK and I will have one of the Yaks arriving in your scheme. They should be shipping in about 4 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dubya View Post
Bill how would I go getting one of these in Australia.
Tony
You will need to email me and order one. I can have it drop shipped direct from China... Now would be the time to do it as you can still get one that is unsold from this new batch of planes.
toc pilot is offline Find More Posts by toc pilot
Last edited by toc pilot; 04-18-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:04 AM
Your my boy Blue!!!1
Joined Jan 2006
4,698 Posts

Sweet, I would love to see this plane track.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Tucson, Az.
Joined Jan 2006
2,055 Posts

Well the mufflers are on and the engine now has full power. I must have had some serious blockage on the canisters preventing full power. Overall, I am happy with this change as the airplane is 2 pounds- 2 ounces lighter and even thought the plane is a little louder it can be cured with a (3) blade prop. The day was a bitter-sweet day however as when I borrowed a prop to try from a friend, It blew off the airplane and I now owe a new prop to my friend-ouch!

I have been running a 32x10 Bolly wood prop for all of my limited flights, this prob was loud and really was a big disapointment but I didnt realize how bad it was until I used the Mejlek (sp?) 30x12 propeller. With this carbon prop the airplane probabbly had a 20 mph top speed increase, was quieter and the airplane flew like it was on rails. Well at least for the 5 minutes the prop stayed on the airplane.

Today I will try to remove the 6 broken bolts still in the hub and buy a new prop from Desert Aircraft....... There should be time to get it all fixed before this contest this weekend.

Bill Hempel
Old 04-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Your my boy Blue!!!1
Joined Jan 2006
4,698 Posts

lol I did the same thing but with my buddies 28.5x12 3 blade. Which sucked for flying . Went back to the 30x13. My plane has abetter speed envolpe tracks better and the uplines are at 60% throttle. With the 30x13 I use so much less throttle when I land from 3sequences I have ~half a tank of gas left.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Tucson, Az.
Joined Jan 2006
2,055 Posts

Progress report for the 40% Yak! Well it is official: I flew in my first IMAC Unlimited Contest of the year. I missed a few due to lack of interest and not having my airplane complete. Well, with the new Yak newley finished and an IMAC contest right here in Tucson, I signed up and went for it. The Yak flew very well with only a few small issues with some connectors.... nothing major. So, I flew a few practice flights a couple of days before the Tucson IMAC and got the plane balanced and trimmed more to my likings! After removing the canisters I needed a better propeller and settled for a Mejleck 30x13(evo), this made a great improvment on performance over the Bolly 32x12 wood prop i had on it. I flew flights 9 through 12 on the airplane and finished in second place behind Jeff Szueber. There were some interested pilots in the new airplane and overall, i am really happy with the results concidering I had so few flights on the airplane. I can tell you this: This airplane is BALISTIC with power and speed. Throttle managment is a must to keep the other pilots from getting upset at you! lol

So are you ready for the most exciting news ever? The airplane was weighed with digital scales at the contest after my last flight was over. Are you ready? Are you sitting down?

The 40% Hempel Yak 55M weighs.............

34.3 pounds! Ready to fly.

OUTSTANDING.... UNBELIEVABLE!

This is the true weight of my plane at the contest ready to fly minus the fuel! I am running (as stated earlier) a 3W-170 with mufflers. After word of the weight of my airplane travelled across the pilots in the pits, there was a group of people looking at my airplane.... I took the canopy off so everyone could see how great this plane is constructed and how light and strong the interrior is. I am really proud of this achomplishment. This airplane has given me the most power to weight ratio I have ever had in a contest! I cant wait to get a few months of practice in with the airplane!

What do you think about that? All's I can say is "WOW!!"

Bill Hempel
Last edited by toc pilot; 04-25-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:48 PM
Find More Posts by Full Throttle
Suspended Account
the same place the first flight happened
Joined Jan 2010
1,419 Posts

wow thats really light, and good job 2nd place on a new plane.
Full Throttle is offline Find More Posts by Full Throttle
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old 04-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Find More Posts by mbacosa
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined May 2008
2,055 Posts

Just got back from the Tucson event and Bill's plane was impressive. Great quality and I wouldn't have believed the weight unless I saw it with my own eyes on the Goodwines scale. Very nice airframe Bill. If you had a little more time I on it I think you would have given Jeff a run for first.
mbacosa is offline Find More Posts by mbacosa
Old 04-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Your my boy Blue!!!1
Joined Jan 2006
4,698 Posts

wow un be lievable !!!

Congratulations!!!!
Old 04-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Find More Posts by lxcoupe
Welcome to Costco. I love you.
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
3,953 Posts

Wow that is only 8lbs more than the 100cc....Good job Bill!
lxcoupe is offline Find More Posts by lxcoupe