Old 03-20-2008, 08:44 AM
Find More Posts by bubbagates
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts
Re: Lums Pond IMAC June 7/8 08

Hi tony

Hope you are well. Yep, I made the seminar in NC and it definitely helped me see things much more clearly. I was pleased to find out I was pretty consistently judging close to the more experienced judges, usually within a half point.

Hey 10 out of 16 is not bad for the first one. I haven't even flown in over a month as every time I have the chance life kicked in or the weather just has been sucking lately whenever I am off work

You gonna make this contest???
bubbagates is offline Find More Posts by bubbagates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by sinergy
US
Joined Feb 2006
931 Posts

Hey guys..

Good to know about the Sunday Bill... def. would like you there.

Tony not too bad.. you are getting some practice in.. first unknown has to be a bit nerve racking

I have only flown the sequence 5 time so far I also put my IMAC plane in last Sat due to loosing both elevators. The official cause is unknown, I am still in testing mode. However I an leaning towards a bad batch of servos. They are weak around the center and from full deflection can push then back to neutral easier than I would expect. I will be doing more testing this weekend.

Needless to say between the crappy weather and loosing my plane I will have a late start to the season myself.
sinergy is offline Find More Posts by sinergy
Old 03-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts

That sucks Jake

Which servos????
Old 03-20-2008, 02:11 PM
US
Joined Feb 2006
931 Posts

5955s...

I have to do some more testing and compare strength.. but My one aileron servo I push teh aileron back to neutral pretty easily.. while the elvators takes a lot of force. I can also sit my electric drill on the wing and lock the surface at neutral.. should have more power than that.

WIll know more this weekend.

Jake
Old 03-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Find More Posts by whaturi
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Aug 2006
1,127 Posts

I had one of those that would lock at full or partial deflection at times. It was in the elevator of my old 35% Wildhare 300. I only saw it happen on the ground, and sent the servo in and they repaired it or replaced it.. can't remember which. I have switched to JR since, as I noticed my good working 5955s after a season would have different low rate end points while having the same high rate endpoints.. it made setting up ganged servos a real pain. I ended up matching pairs that were similar. I never noticed any lack of power though, and they always worked perfectly in flight.

If both elevator servos stopped working at the same time, wouldn't you suspect a radio lockout or wiring problem instead of them both failing together?
whaturi is offline Find More Posts by whaturi
Old 03-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts

Since you can move them easily under normal load I'm thinking you may have been over-driving them via the transmitter and that will take out the servo motor pretty quickly. Been there done that more than once until I found out not to do that

this was/is an issue with JR. It's commonly known you should not drive a JR servo past 125% via the TX. This tends to do harm to them, especially 8611's. I've run into this myself more than once by playing with the ATV's to get the throw I want and over-driving the servo past it's theoretical limit which is 60 degree on all the ones I have seen.

I've seen Hitec's tear themselve up at 135%, sometimes less, again, I'm speaking from experience

Since then I have never gone past 125% on any ATV/End Point on any servo. I will use longer arms if I want more throw
Old 03-21-2008, 10:05 AM
US
Joined Feb 2006
931 Posts

Vinny, no lock out.. I had everything else just not elevators.
They didn't come unplugged either.. no way both came out at the same time and I wiretied like crazy As I pushed over the top from inverted to my down line 45 I had to go to full stick.. soon as I relaxed teh stick they were completely gone.

Looking at my travel end points they varied from 125 - 145% and the rates were set to 100%.

I have never burned these out before using high travels and low (100% or below) rates.. and specially not in 6 flights where only 3 where 3D.. rest were mostly low rate flights.

I don't know.. if you have seen it I certainly trust your input.. but am shocked that is a possible cause so quickly.

Why does JR even offer 150%?
Old 03-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts

beats me why we have that much ATV but 8611's were known for going south at over 125

There were bulletins on them on their respective sites at one point but I'm thinking now that you have a couple bad ones considering your numbers
Old 03-22-2008, 09:43 AM
US
Joined Feb 2006
931 Posts

Well testing will start today I bought 10 at the same time so I am testing all 10. I have a feeling I will be sending them all back for replacements for 3 in one plane to go bad
Old 03-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Find More Posts by Tonybons
Tony the Knife
Mahwah, NJ
Joined Feb 2006
260 Posts

Hi all. I will be attending the Lums Pond contest. I will have to check but I think I pre registered. I haven't flown at all up here. The weather has really sucked for this late into March. I have a new 260 that I want to test fly in the next week or so. I will be flying the one I used last year and the new one. Sorry for the plane issue Jake. Was it the plane you were flying in IMAC last year. What are you planning to fly this year.

Tony
Tonybons is offline Find More Posts by Tonybons
Old 03-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts

Are you back up north Tony???
Old 03-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Hero to the masses
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Sep 2006
4,194 Posts

Bubba I have not heard of problems with 8611s being programmed from the TX for more than 125% travel. Of course your mechanical setup must be such that you are not binding the servo but they are happy to work at very high values (on my Futaba it's up to 140%). In fact the only article I remember reading on Horizon's website is the excellent setup article (http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=1409), and it specifically mentions to use as much servo travel as possible to get the best resolution and mechanical advantage.
Flyfalcons is offline Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Last edited by Flyfalcons; 03-23-2008 at 12:03 PM. Reason: added link
Old 03-24-2008, 06:46 AM
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts

Ryan,

No guarantee's but I'll try to find it. Back a couple of years ago I had a couple 8611a's lock or got really tight and I had not even flown them or even installed them yet, I was exercising them on the bench woth no arms installed and endpoints to 140%. I sent them off to Horizon to get looked at and the email I got back explained the issue and had a link to a "notice".

I then had a 5955 do the same thing not long after they came out under the same circumstances, sent it back and was told almost word for word what Horizon had told me. The difference between the two brands was the 8611's either locked or got really tight and the 5955 got really weak.

So basically I set all the endpoint to 125% and go from there. I've never had a problem since then.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:05 AM
US
Joined Feb 2006
931 Posts

Hey Tony.. will be great to see you at the Lums Pond meet.

My 3w-85 randomly quit on me at Huckfest in ATL last Oct. I put the plane from last year in in a high alpha KE about 10' from the ground when it did that. The damage is minimal.. broke firewall, some stringers, and couple holes in the wings. I haven't finished fixing it yet, but it will fly again.

The plane I lost was suppose to be my IMAC plane for this season.. was the new Extreme Flight Extra 300. At this point it is kind of up in the air what I will be flying. I haven't even really got any practice time in yet and already lost my plane. I am a little bit sour at this point
Old 04-24-2008, 07:27 PM
US
Joined Feb 2006
931 Posts

Hey guys,

I need to know how many are planning on bringing a camper and staying overnight at the field?

There is no electric or water at the field so that may be a deciding factor for you. I need to get a permit for staying overnight from the state for it.. so if people are going to stay there I need to know ASAP.

Thanks much!

Quick Reply