Old 06-01-2020, 06:41 AM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
10,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagspe208 View Post
Wow... you guys are awesome!! I sort of expected some "you should, you are, " preachy responses... like many tend to give... You know, the "if you don't do it my way you are wrong" crowd.
Maybe jet guys are different... I hope..
I race a boat, mainly because the people are all great.... other forms of racing 2/3 of them are jerks...
I truly appreciate the input..
Litchfield, IL used to have a jet fly in.. any link to schedules?
I meant to say if you don't follow my advice you're wrong!

https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-...-events-3.html

That thread is well tended and has a rolling up to date list of jet events/cancellations etc
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-01-2020, 08:38 AM
Find More Posts by MattyMatt
CARF-Models Rep USA
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Apr 2006
3,710 Posts
Everyone's advice above is spot on.

There's a few things with jets

1. your approach is great - definitely need someone to help guide you through and learn. It is the way to be good at this.

2. they are complicated and you will have to learn how to properly setup and manage all the systems in the jet. If you don't, it is the one thing that will either plague you with problems or put it in the ground. The AMA turbine program is really two equal parts - the setup and management of the turbine and being able to fly/manage it. I see people so focused on the flying - it is a TURBINE WAIVER, learn both parts and you will be better off long term.

3. If it can happen it will. I've been doing this stuff all over the hobby for 40 years - and the weirdest crap happens with Jets. Also, think about what you are doing when you are flying - if X happens, what do i do? Always have a plan. - spend time on your radio setup, so that the radio works for you... meaning, make sure everything (switches/flighmodes, gear/flaps) are always in the same switch position for every plane you use - if the turbine shuts down in flight, that first 3-5 seconds usually determines whether it comes home or not - if you are wasting that time trying to figure out what switch does what, then it's dead.

4. These things live or die on the landing gear. If the landing gear is crap, then you will destroy the plane. Good air gear is fine, same with quality electric gear. (electron for example has been fantastic)

5. Don't go cheap. It will be the thing that causes you issues - and make sure you buy stuff from companies/people that have support. You will need it sometime.

6. If you are a competent pilot - buy what you like (with in reason - love your analogy). You listed some sport jets you were looking at, this is a great place to start for a few reasons. 1. the wing loading is much lower and speed range is much bigger (easier to fly), 2. much less complex - usually no gear doors or complicated scale features to learn. Easier access to all the running gear.

7. Buy a jet that is in the size you want to be flying - the turbine is the most expensive part of this deal, so if you can buy one in the size you want to be flying then it will be less costly in the end and you will have better equipment. I see a lot of guys buy really small to start- those are harder to fly/see. Also, don't put a huge turbine in the plane - turbines do not react nor operate like prop planes, they are not easy to throttle the same way. Buy the right size turbine...and with jets, its easer to fly with the smaller size for the plane rather than bigger.

8. These things will humble you - just when you think you got it all figured out... well... some crazy crap will happen. It's part of the fun though... the challenge.
MattyMatt is offline Find More Posts by MattyMatt
Old 06-01-2020, 10:53 AM
Find More Posts by Dansy
Canada, ON, Prescott
Joined Apr 2013
146 Posts
Jets are fantastically fun to fly.

Systems wise there’s more thing to deal with putting them together, but if you break each of them down they are not that hard to deal with.

My only real advise is buy something that in an instant your able to loose everything airframe/motor/electronics, and replace it the next day....(Not that it happen often) otherwise it might be a very hard and bumpy road.
Dansy is offline Find More Posts by Dansy
Old 06-07-2020, 02:37 PM
Find More Posts by wagspe208
United States, IL, Red Bud
Joined Aug 2017
89 Posts
I've been reading and researching... haven't forgot about you guys..
That CARF Bolt sure looks awesome!! I assume it is so new, no used stuff for airframe... that's ok.... But, its sweeeet!
wagspe208 is offline Find More Posts by wagspe208
Old 06-24-2020, 04:38 PM
Find More Posts by falcon7a
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined Jan 2007
31 Posts
What do you guy think about the SAB Lizard? Is that a good entry into jets? https://www.helidirect.com/products/...urbine-jet-kit
falcon7a is offline Find More Posts by falcon7a
Old 06-24-2020, 06:14 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon7a View Post
What do you guy think about the SAB Lizard? Is that a good entry into jets? https://www.helidirect.com/products/...urbine-jet-kit
I dont think so...... But to each their own. The 3 jets listed in this thread are probably the best entry level going.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 06-25-2020, 06:34 AM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
10,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon7a View Post
Not for a newb, no
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey

Quick Reply