logo
Old 07-03-2014, 09:46 AM
Find More Posts by rlongenecker
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2010
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Man View Post
Good suggestion and I plan to use them. I have a stock of them I bought from either RTL or Micro Fasteners. I also use the smaller ones for the cowling and canopy depending on how they are secured to the fuselage. The ones from RTL and Micro are galvanized; however, Aeroworks uses pretty chrome plated neoprene washers on their models but I have been unable to find a source for them. If anyone knows where chrome plated ones are available please post the source.
Look for stainless steel bonded washers. I think I ran across some previously.
rlongenecker is offline Find More Posts by rlongenecker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-03-2014, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by bigblueswope
United States, GA, Loganville
Joined Jan 2013
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlongenecker View Post
Look for stainless steel bonded washers. I think I ran across some previously.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-washers/=sodezy

More specifically:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#94709A111
bigblueswope is offline Find More Posts by bigblueswope
Old 07-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Find More Posts by mpoots
Northern Ireland
Joined Jan 2006
61 Posts
Hi Mustangman.

I will have one 2s 2000mah lipo (Spektrum) into the RX through a heavy duty switch, And the optiguard backup plugged into a spare RX port. The Optiguard unit has a 2S 430mah lipo built into it. This will only be used to get me down if the main 2s2000mah fails. There will be a bright LED mounted on airframe to notify me that the optiguard has kicked in.

Matthew
mpoots is offline Find More Posts by mpoots
Old 07-03-2014, 05:38 PM
Find More Posts by rlongenecker
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2010
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoots View Post
Hi Mustangman.

I will have one 2s 2000mah lipo (Spektrum) into the RX through a heavy duty switch, And the optiguard backup plugged into a spare RX port. The Optiguard unit has a 2S 430mah lipo built into it. This will only be used to get me down if the main 2s2000mah fails. There will be a bright LED mounted on airframe to notify me that the optiguard has kicked in.

Matthew
Sounds like no more need for dual batteries and dual fail safe switch.
rlongenecker is offline Find More Posts by rlongenecker
Old 07-03-2014, 06:35 PM
Find More Posts by Mustang Man
Brush Whacker
United States, TX, Commerce
Joined Oct 2008
488 Posts
Quote:
Hi Mustangman.

Matthew
Do you charge the Optiguard built in Lipo separately or does it charge off the RX battery during charging of the RX battery? What if you are using a LION for the RX instead of a LIPO. I don't use LIPO's due to their inherit unstable nature, although I know many do.
Mustang Man is offline Find More Posts by Mustang Man
Old 07-04-2014, 02:52 AM
Find More Posts by mpoots
Northern Ireland
Joined Jan 2006
61 Posts
It is just a spare RX pack basically, difference is it only weighs 40g in total (board, battery & LED), a saving of about 60g over another 2s 2000 lipo. The receiver is also lighter by about 30g, as I don't need a powersafe one. As I said it's not much, but with using a DA50 on pipe I want it to be as light as possible.

The optiguard unit balance charges the lipo during use if the pack drops below 90%. It doesn't matter what type of battery you use, it only monitors the voltage the RX gives out. It's primary use is for the heli guys who use BEC's on there EP setups. It's a plug in and forget about unit. If the LED shines you get down and land, it's designed to save your plane/heli.

Sorry to have gone off the topic of inverza build.
mpoots is offline Find More Posts by mpoots
Old 07-04-2014, 09:02 AM
Brush Whacker
Joined Oct 2008
488 Posts
Quote:
It is just a spare RX pack basically, difference is it only weighs 40g in total (board, battery & LED), a saving of about 60g over another 2s 2000 lipo. The receiver is also lighter by about 30g, as I don't need a powersafe one. As I said it's not much, but with using a DA50 on pipe I want it to be as light as possible.

The optiguard unit balance charges the lipo during use if the pack drops below 90%. It doesn't matter what type of battery you use, it only monitors the voltage the RX gives out. It's primary use is for the heli guys who use BEC's on there EP setups. It's a plug in and forget about unit. If the LED shines you get down and land, it's designed to save your plane/heli.

Sorry to have gone off the topic of inverza build.

Not off topic, just a good opportunity to learn about new gear. Thanks for the comments.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:18 AM
Brush Whacker
Joined Oct 2008
488 Posts
Additional Build Steps for Inverza 62

Installed the front landing gear. Notice in the pictures I replaced the supplied flat washer for the wheel pants attachment with a neoprene based washer. I will leave the wheel pants off until the build is finished so I don't whack them.

Picture 2: Shows squirting the 30 minute epoxy into the fuse rudder hinge slots in preparation of gluing the rudder. After squeezing in some epoxy, I then installed the rudder to smear the glue around, then remove the rudder, added more epoxy in the slots and onto the hinges themselves. Next I installed the rudder again so that epoxy oozed out which is easily cleaned up. Don't forget to put oil on the rudder hinge pin to keep the epoxy off it.

Picture 3: Waiting for epoxy to dry before installing the tail wheel.

Picture 4: The Aeroworks carbon fiber tail wheel installation completed. Note the tail wheel assembly supplied with the Hangar 9 Inverza 62 weighs 1.31 oz, the Aeroworks carbon fiber tail wheel assembly weighs 2.05 oz. That is only a .74 oz increase which can well be offset by use of other carbon fiber parts when they are available from Graphtec.

If you install a carbon fiber tail wheel assembly, place the assembly as far back as possible so that the mounting screws hit the plywood that was installed by Hangar 9 for their tail wheel plate. The back two holes where I installed the screws hit plywood; however, the screw at the front found softer wood. It may be necessary later to install some plywood for the front mounting hole (the hole toward the nose of the fuselage) to make it stronger. The screws installed for the steering plate that mounts at the base of the rudder went into hard balsa wood. I think the plate will hold, but it may be necessary to install a plywood plate at the base of the rudder as well.
Last edited by Mustang Man; 07-04-2014 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Corrections
Old 07-04-2014, 09:32 AM
Brush Whacker
Joined Oct 2008
488 Posts
Inverza 62 Manual Error

On page 35 of the Hangar 9 Inverza 62 instruction manual is a template for cutting out the firewall for the Evolution 62 GXI engine. It appears to me the template is quite oversized. I will contact Horizon Hobby to find out if I am missing something.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:52 AM
Brush Whacker
Joined Oct 2008
488 Posts
DA50 Mounting Issues

I have a spare DA50, so I thought about mounting it while waiting on the Evollution 62 GXI. Here are some findings:

I have some 2.5" standoffs that I used for the DA50 before and the DA50 has a slimline pitts style muffler on the engine already.

I measured the distance from the location where the Inverza 62 cowl mounts (have not yet installed the cowl mounting lugs) which is 11 3/8" When I held the DA50 up to the firewall with the 2.5" standoffs, the propeller hub appears to be 12 3/8" from the location where the cowl mounts, thus having 1.0" sticking out from the front of the cowl. This would mean one would have to trim the cowl for make room for the ignition pickup to stick out...not pretty.

It appears that 2" standoffs may work; however, the firewall will have to be enlarged somewhat so that the choke linkage will be usable which is not a big problem but using 2" standoffs will place the two carburetor needles where it will be difficult to make holes in the plywood surrounding the carburetor so they can be adjusted with or without the cowl being mounted on the airframe.

As I understand it, the Inverza 62 was designed to work for a variety of engines but the instruction manual supplied with the model only shows mounting the Evolution 62 GXI and a brief mention of installing Electric Power. The manual needs to be expanded to cover installation of other engines but also the installation of tuned pipes or canisters. There is no mention of the length or drop for a header for the Evolution 62 or for other engines.
Last edited by Mustang Man; 07-04-2014 at 10:24 AM. Reason: add comments
Old 07-04-2014, 10:34 PM
Brush Whacker
Joined Oct 2008
488 Posts
Installing Rudder Cables & Cowling

Following are pictures of the installation of the rudder cables and the cowl brackets.

Picture 1 thru 3 shows how I tied and crimped the cables. The brass sleeves supplied with the Inverza 62 are not large enough to allow the cable to be looped back thru the brass sleeve as shown in the pictures. So I used some brass fuel tube that was approximately .93" (.24mm) inside diameter and cut 4 pieces for the cable crimps. I don't trust running the rudder cables thru the crimp sleeve without the third pass thru the sleeve before it is crimped. Adding a bit of thick CA to the sleeve after it has been crimped is also good insurance.

Picture 4 shows the crimped end at the rudder. Note that the cables should not cross as instructed in the manual.

Picture 5 shows that:

1) I initially installed the cowl brackets (snug but not tight),
2) then installing the cowl to align the brackets with the pre-drilled holes in the cowl,
3) removed the cowl and mark the alignment position of each bracket with a black fine felt tipped pen so that when I removed the brackets to apply blue Loctite to the mounting screws, I would have the brackets aligned.
4) After installing all the brackets with the blue Loctite on the mounting bolts, then
5) install the cowl again to ensure everything is in alignment.

Note that I had to enlarge one of the cowl holes a bit with a drill to align with the bracket and one of the brackets threads had to be chased out with a 4:40 tap. Also instead of using the washers supplied with the Inverza 62 I used neoprene backed washers to mount the brackets which will provide some dampening from vibration.

Picture 6 shows an chrome 4:40 hex head bolt with a chrome neoprene washer that came from an old Aeroworks model that no longer lives. I used these on the cowl to make it look better. Still wish I knew where some chrome washers/hex bolts could be located.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:48 PM
Brush Whacker
Joined Oct 2008
488 Posts
Decals, Pause In the Build until Engine Arrives

The Inverza 62 comes with decals and the manual does not show where the large Hangar 9 decal goes nor the DSMX decals. The large Hangar 9 goes on the top of the left wing and it can be seen in some of the pictures on Horizon's website for the ARF. I think the DSMX decals go on either side of the rudder, but I so far have been unable to determine that for sure.

At this point all I lack is mounting the receiver, telemetry equipment, batteries, fuel tank, switches, and engine. I will mount the receiver and switches but plan to wait until the Evolution 62 GXI engine arrives before doing much else as I need to plan where to stuff all the rest of the gear in the fuselage and check the balance before committing to where the batteries are mounted.

I like what I have seen on the Hangar 9 Inverza 62 and it will be a keeper. I know the Hangar 9 team, Jim Kimbell, QQ, Micro Pecorari have worked hard to bring us a first class aerobatic flying machine. Any comments I have made and may make in the future are in the spirit to improve an already great product.

If anyone else is working on building the Inverza 62 or has some suggestions as alternatives to what I have posted, please feel free to comment. If you have a better way to do something regarding anything I have done, again please comment.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:44 PM
Find More Posts by akouzmit
14cc/21cc/33cc/36cc/40cc/60cc
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2013
623 Posts
Just received my Inverza 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Man View Post
If anyone else is working on building the Inverza 62 or has some suggestions as alternatives to what I have posted, please feel free to comment. If you have a better way to do something regarding anything I have done, again please comment.
--------
I just received my Inverza 62 today . . . well, sort of :-) as UPS didn't deliver the 3-rd box with wings
Look like wings will be delivered from different storage facility and UPS promised to deliver 3-rd package by coming Monday.
Well well ... looking at fuselage I started wondering if I can fit it in my Nissan SUV ....
I have Inverza 33 and it fit easily, but 62 version is much larger.
The front seat in my car can't be bent down completely thus I have only 205cm available, but fully assembled fuselage is about 215cm.
We'll I may bent ruder during transportation.

The landing gear has some fancy shape, which may complicate GraphTech work to reproduce carbon version.
Well surprised with high quality soft tires, although I will replace them with soft and 2 times wider tires for grass landing.
Supplied fuel tank is 650cc, but I am thinking about 750cc size or ever 950cc size for guarantied 15 min flight at almost full throttle. Any comments on fuel tank?
Oh... Yes, I forgot to mention, that I am setting my Inverza with OS GT60 with KS canister muffler and Falcon 24x8 carbon prop.

While building Inverza 33 I did many modifications, which took me some extra time, but now I am enjoying all the benefits from these modifications.
I am thinking not to rush and to do similar improvements on 62 version.

I love how 33 is flying and landing with naturally set flare angle and quite short for 33cc size plane landing space.

I also have Aeroworks Extra 300 30cc version, which is flying very well and doing loops smoother than Inverza33 due to bolder wings leading edge.

Both Inverzas have very unusual sharp leading edge and wings profile very close to yachts kill profile.

It make Inverza easy to do back flip on a spot, which looks very cool in the air.
For Extra it takes a bit more space to do back flip, but Extra is doing super smooth and perfect loops where for Inversa I have to be in full control to make perfect shape loop.

Any way both planes are very good designed, but for some reason Inverza become my favourite plane, which make me step up and purchase 62cc version.
I hope it will fly as well as 33 , which I already flown for about 30 times.

I will try to find time and post my modifications for Inverza 62.

Tomorrow early morning to the club with my Inverza 33

Happy flying time to everybody !!!

Andrei.
akouzmit is offline Find More Posts by akouzmit
Old 07-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Brush Whacker
Joined Oct 2008
488 Posts
Andrei: Good information and please post your modifications you made to the Inverza 33 and what you do to your Inverza 62. I think it will be interesting to get others ideas for changes. That is what makes these build threads useful and fun. Bill
Old 07-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Find More Posts by akouzmit
14cc/21cc/33cc/36cc/40cc/60cc
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2013
623 Posts
A two weeks ago I received carbon main landing gear for my Inverza 33 from Mike "GraphTech" and I can tell he did great job.
I have many carbon landing gears from him, but what I received for Inverza is shining out :-).

I hope he can handle carbon main landing gear for 62 version very well as well, although the shape of the aluminum landing gear for Inverza 62 looks too fancy and may complicate Mike job.

Today I continue brake in my OS GT60 with KS canister muffler and Xoar 23x8 wooden prop.
It is for the first time I replaced stock pits muffler for canister type and I can tell a BIG difference in sound level and harshness of the sound itself.
At 1800 RPM the sound like from mi 14cc 4-stroke SAITO engine with stock muffler. Yes, I am so surprised how smooth and nice this sound :-).
At mid RPM of 4500 to 5500 is the most loud as engine get worst vibration, but above 5500 toward 7000 it become less loud and the tone of the sound is more pleasant.
Last weekend I run engine with stock muffler and it was quite nosy, thus even club members asked me to move my stand 50m away from pilots gathering place.
Today the same pilots joked that I can move back my stand :-) and let them listen KS quality canister muffler.
I took a few short video and will post as soon as I will fix my PC. .... Just got it fail on reboot yesterday evening ....
I didn't start Inverza 62 assembly yet as I am waiting for wings box to be delivered by early next week.
Oh ... I forgot to mention that one of the modification for both Inverzas is tail landing gear from Aerowork.
For 62 version I am planning to set new version Aerowork has for the larger planes. It has 4mm carbon thickness.
_________
akouzmit is offline Find More Posts by akouzmit

Quick Reply