logo
Old 06-19-2019, 05:56 AM
Find More Posts by Mark Dennis
Robot Babysitter
United States, CO, Frederick
Joined Jan 2006
1,018 Posts
Next up after the final drawing approval was the build of our first sample. I wanted to take full advantage of the carbon laminated material the factory was using in their UAV's, this carbon is sandwiched to the balsa or plywood via a vacuum bagging process that ensures a solid glue penetration between the two surfaces. We used the laminated material in every high stress area along with carbon spars and stringers.

This build technique will give the airplane much more strength over a traditional wood structure while lowering the overall weight.

I had two sets of wings built to test a few different configurations, one set is a 108" span while the other is 106". The 106" wing has a very thin airfoil over the 108 and will most likely be what we go with for the production versions.
Mark Dennis is offline Find More Posts by Mark Dennis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-19-2019, 06:52 AM
Find More Posts by aalfawaz
United States, IA, Iowa City
Joined Oct 2015
1,112 Posts
Following. Looking forward to what leading edge is gonna bring the table. In my opinion the market is very competitive at this point but more competition is in the consumerís advantage. So bring it!
aalfawaz is offline Find More Posts by aalfawaz
Old 06-19-2019, 06:59 AM
Find More Posts by yak55mpilot
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2011
77 Posts
Can't wait to start seeing the final projects!
yak55mpilot is offline Find More Posts by yak55mpilot
Old 06-19-2019, 07:56 AM
Find More Posts by Carruthers43
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Aug 2010
1,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHFG View Post
Great to hear you will bring some sport and scale planes to the market. I know I am a bit of a lone voice on FG, but I will throw in my suggestion for a good quality airframe for persons wanting to transition into low/shoulder wing giant scale but either not interested, or not ready, for 3D.

Something in the 30-50cc range with a thick symmetrical airfoil, constant chord wing, capable of some mild scale aerobatics, but pretty mild stall characteristics. There are couple of RVs in the market today, but they have a lot of room for improvement and long term availability. Build that brand loyalty from their first giant scale plane.
A nice scale chipmunk maybe even a scholl super chippy with retracts would just be awesome
Carruthers43 is offline Find More Posts by Carruthers43
Old 06-19-2019, 09:55 AM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Nov 2009
7,939 Posts
Whatever you do come out with, please make the landing gear structure robust. It seems to be a weak area in the AW planes I have seen.
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 06-19-2019, 11:00 AM
Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Gettin better 1 [email protected] a time!
Cody WY
Joined Apr 2009
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoffman View Post
Whatever you do come out with, please make the landing gear structure robust. It seems to be a weak area in the AW planes I have seen.

I'd agree with that on at least the 35cc Freestyle 260. I had both the 35cc and the 120cc Freestyles, and the 35cc LG area was terrible. It was cracking out in less than a dozen flights, and while I can admit to a bounced landing here or there, they were NOT bashed landings...

Good area to address on new designs
wyo69cowboy is offline Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Old 06-19-2019, 11:27 AM
Find More Posts by vatechguy3
United States, VA, Smithfield
Joined Jan 2006
2,160 Posts
+1 on a super chipmunk kit.
Designed for a DA100 inline twin, with scale oleo struts with wheel pants and offer a scale functional exhaust! And of course a 3 piece wing.

Tony
vatechguy3 is offline Find More Posts by vatechguy3
Old 06-19-2019, 12:13 PM
Robot Babysitter
Joined Jan 2006
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoffman View Post
We spent a lot of time working on the landing gear block, its a mix of carbon, aluminum angle and a keyed in plywood structure. I'm pretty sure if you manage to take the gear out of this one you'll be replacing the entire motor box assembly at a minimum. I'm confident it will hold up to more than a hard landing or two.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:16 PM
Robot Babysitter
Joined Jan 2006
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers43 View Post
A nice scale chipmunk maybe even a scholl super chippy with retracts would just be awesome
A chipmunk is definitely an interesting subject, I'm not sure if I'd go with the retracts though. I've looked into doing a 70cc Dalotel, but I'm not sure how many people would want one, I always thought they were cool and with the new crop of 70cc engines out there it would be a perfect size.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:16 PM
Find More Posts by Carruthers43
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Aug 2010
1,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dennis View Post
A chipmunk is definitely an interesting subject, I'm not sure if I'd go with the retracts though. I've looked into doing a 70cc Dalotel, but I'm not sure how many people would want one, I always thought they were cool and with the new crop of 70cc engines out there it would be a perfect size.
Oh man the dalotel a long forgotten awesome airplane!! I will put a deposit as soon as you are ready just pm me
Carruthers43 is offline Find More Posts by Carruthers43
Old 06-19-2019, 01:55 PM
Find More Posts by ERICKUO
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Jan 2006
59 Posts
Leading Edge R/C

I am hoping to see some new designs to shorten assembling time at the field. Like plug-in and lock for the wings and tail surfaces, no screws, no tools.
ERICKUO is offline Find More Posts by ERICKUO
Old 06-19-2019, 08:06 PM
Find More Posts by Muttdog
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Feb 2013
2,690 Posts
I know everyone looks at weight but I'd like to see a little more structure inside the fuse to give it more accident forgiveness. The new Carbon laminate airframes are very strong in the air but even minor contacts with terra firma can cause serious damage. I'd accept a bit more weight for some robustness.

Why not just develop your own airframe instead of scaling a full scale design?

How about another profile? there's a lot of ProX260's still flying to this day.
Muttdog is offline Find More Posts by Muttdog
Old 06-19-2019, 08:34 PM
Find More Posts by 3daviator
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Jan 2006
1,349 Posts
The AW260 was pretty good

I always liked the AW schemes too, not too busy or crazy.

What you have there looks great, similar to "industry standard" for the better mfg's these days.
Some options at order would be a nice touch:
- Availability of custom schemes / graphics
-High quality, name brand hinges, wheel options etc..
- Tinted canopy
3daviator is offline Find More Posts by 3daviator
Last edited by 3daviator; 06-19-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:24 PM
Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
United States, MD, Parkton
Joined Jun 2008
1,140 Posts
Hi Mark, Good luck on your start up. I think you have the right idea in asking for suggestions and acquiring a variety of feed back.
Here's my suggestion: I've competed in IMAC for about 12 yrs with a variety of both ARF's and
professionally built Daltons and one Carden. I've also judged at the Nat's and the Worlds.
I'm going to say that there are a good number of potential IMAC competitors who are cost conscious and would like to compete with smaller planes that fall within the 30 to 35% class.
There are some very good planes available from several vendors however, the ones I've had the privilege of owning and competing with have been "compromise designs". These planes are designed to please both the 3D enthusiast and the precision aerobatic competitors.
For the average competitor, these planes, as nice as they are, will not compete with professionally built precision aerobatic planes.
I think they could be designed to be more competitive if the design included a way to select an optional set of components when the plane is purchased.
Example; If your into precision aerobatics and have no interest in 3D, you would select the plane with perhaps a set of wings and stabs designed for that discipline.
This approach may add to the cost, but it would still be far less than the cost of a professionally built Carden, Dalton or others planes in that class.
If the components were interchangeable, that would be even better.
Just a thought.
Flybye Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
Old 06-20-2019, 09:32 PM
Find More Posts by LarryV
Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2009
108 Posts
I need another Extra like a hole in the head, but the construction is cool looking.

Also no / in RC.
LarryV is offline Find More Posts by LarryV

Quick Reply