logo
Old 01-03-2019, 02:06 PM
Find More Posts by Tbharley
United States, CA, Downey
Joined Jun 2016
2 Posts
Hey Lifer,
Been reading thru this entire post since I just ordered my Waco 1/2/19 and I noticed your from the Kansas City area, I currently live in California but bought a house in Kearney Mo last month and planning to move in April of this year, just wondering where do you fly? I will be looking for a club to join when I get there.
Thanks
Troy
Tbharley is offline Find More Posts by Tbharley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-19-2019, 09:21 PM
Find More Posts by Georgiateddy
United States, AL, Sheffield
Joined Aug 2016
77 Posts
BUILDING ANOTHER WACO.....wing servo box change

Greetings,

I was fortunate enough to obtain one of the first release WACO's back in 2017. If my memory is correct I had her assembled by December of 2017. She continues to be an EXCELLENT every weekend flyer with the Saito 90cc radial pulling her along. Below you will see a few picture of her from the field this month. At this point after maybe 150 flights I have no complaints. The WACO has great flight characteristics and certainly plenty of field appeal.

Recently I have begun assembling 5 planes for a gentleman and the WACO is his first. He plans to hang them from his ceiling as static models. Sure is hard to imagine the WACO suspended from a ceiling but "to each his own". His second plane on the agenda is a 9 foot DC-3 so at least he has a sense of taste.

During assembly of WACO number 2 I did discover one change that I did not like. The wing servo pockets are canted 45 degree to facilitate the "new" servo control horn configuration. I am sure some may like this change; however, I found the original set up to be easier and have more curb appeal.

One design flaw I discovered assembling the 1st WACO still remains. You CAN NOT install the pilot canopy if the forward pilot is in place and glued down. The forward pilot's head will strike the middle section of the upper wing. I leave the middle section in place so the forward pilot height must be reduced by 1/2 inch. I cut from the feet to the butt approximately 1/2 inch.

Below you will see a few changes I made to WACO number 2 which includes painting the windscreens sheet metal and painting the landing fairings gun gray. Also the tail wires are black 2/56. I did order another custom decal kit for the plane which was already on file with my custom shop.

About another 3 days on the 2nd WACO and she will be ready for the man's ceiling. I will post a few final pics before he picks her up.

best to all,
Teddy
Georgiateddy is offline Find More Posts by Georgiateddy
Last edited by Georgiateddy; 01-19-2019 at 09:21 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-23-2019, 10:43 AM
Find More Posts by 5th Gee Bee
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2017
18 Posts
Waco

I bought Scooter's N.I.B. last week (picked it up) and have it 75% together. I'm putting an RCGF Twin 70 in it and I'm wondering about the existing thrust angles. Are they sufficient? I've had problems in the past with plastic fairings that are rigid to a flexing gear leg (cracking) so I opted to use 5 1/2" Dubro inflatables to take up some of the shock. If I can pull it off, I'll leave the fuselage fairing unglued.
So far, the kit is complete and appears to be in rig. Be careful on the interplanes...it's easy to put them upside down.
Because of the throttle position (on the rcgf), I'll be mounting the throttle servo in the semi-circular cut-out behind the cowl on the bottom. This will give me good geometry and a short linkage, which is always a plus. The 70 T is a really nice fit with no modifications needed. Balance may be another story. I was going to use 2-2500mah lifes on a Powersafe 12 channel and a Tech Aero IBEC. Any opinions on weather these are too small?.(one 5645 digital on the rudder/tailwheel and analog 645's on everything else). I'm using the same setup on a 28% Decathlon and can get five 10 min. flights without recharging but I'm thinking the servo loads will be greater on the Waco. Mark
5th Gee Bee is offline Find More Posts by 5th Gee Bee
Last edited by 5th Gee Bee; 01-24-2019 at 05:03 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:16 PM
Find More Posts by RickVB
United States, MI, Novi
Joined Apr 2008
76 Posts
Teddy, hard to believe someone could completely waste such a beautiful model on a ceiling... what kind of place does this guy have that has room to hang this and a DC-3??

Can you tell me where you got the image you used for your "engine plate"? Was this off a real aircraft, or just something you and the graphics company cooked up?
RickVB is offline Find More Posts by RickVB
Old 02-17-2019, 08:41 PM
Joined Dec 2017
18 Posts
Dummy Radial

Has anyone else noticed that the dummy has 9 cylinders and the cowl has 7??
Old 02-17-2019, 09:07 PM
Find More Posts by svan
United States, IA, Marshalltown
Joined Feb 2017
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Gee Bee View Post
That’s interesting. I didn’t notice that but then I put a 3 cylinder radial in mine. Lol!
svan is offline Find More Posts by svan
Old 02-20-2019, 02:57 PM
Find More Posts by RickVB
United States, MI, Novi
Joined Apr 2008
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Gee Bee View Post
Yeah, and I can't find a properly sized 7 cylinder one anyplace, either. However, I DID find an .stl file for the correct Jacobs R-755 someone did for an electric foamy here. So I now have a good excuse to finally set up the 3-D printer I bought a few months ago and try to make this work.
RickVB is offline Find More Posts by RickVB
Old 02-25-2019, 07:18 PM
Joined Dec 2017
18 Posts
dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickVB View Post
Yeah, and I can't find a properly sized 7 cylinder one anyplace, either. However, I DID find an .stl file for the correct Jacobs R-755 someone did for an electric foamy here. So I now have a good excuse to finally set up the 3-D printer I bought a few months ago and try to make this work.
Keep me posted.!
Old 02-28-2019, 07:43 PM
Joined Dec 2017
18 Posts
Waco Maiden

Maidened my Waco yesterday. Took half the day to tune and balance (new twin 70 and 1 1/2 lbs. of lead). Three clicks of down and one click right and it flew perfect. Even rolled it. Smooth landing. Couldn't tell it weighed almost 33lbs!
Old 02-28-2019, 09:32 PM
Find More Posts by scootr
2 many planes 2 little time
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Sep 2015
1,063 Posts
Glad to hear it. 33 pounds? I knew she was gonna be out of my weight class.
scootr is offline Find More Posts by scootr
Old 03-02-2019, 12:24 PM
Joined Dec 2017
18 Posts
Waco

Three more flights on friday. Got the smoke working. It really is a pleasure to fly. Loops and half cubans, split s's. She goes where you point her! And the RCGF 70T is the perfect engine for this plane. Fit with no mods and the Pheonix thrust angles are right on the money.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:03 PM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
10,876 Posts
Yea, thats one of the things that surprised me about the Waco is how gently it lands given its weight.
BarracudaHockey is online now Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 03-02-2019, 11:40 PM
Joined Dec 2017
18 Posts
Waco

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
Yea, thats one of the things that surprised me about the Waco is how gently it lands given its weight.
It"s all that wing.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:39 AM
Find More Posts by curtusua
USAF Academy Retired
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Jul 2011
31 Posts
Selling my Waco

Brand new and fully assembled be me.

Due to caring for an elderly parent I am not able to find any time for flying these days and decided to sell my 90” WS Waco. This is the Phoenix Models ARF that I carefully assembled and added some nice custom features. The model is completely ready to fly but hasn’t been flown yet.

I have a build log on RC Groups with lots of detailed photos here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ale-Waco-Build

All servos are HiTec MG, Spektrum AR 8000 receiver, Eflite Power 360 motor, Tru Turn spinner, Castle Creations HV 160 ESC.All equipment is brand new. Landing lights on a switch were added as well as some other scale details. Callie custom graphics.

Will sell as is or airframe only. PM me if interested.

Sorry, no shipping... local pickup in western PA only.

Thanks for looking...

Curt
curtusua is offline Find More Posts by curtusua
Old 11-14-2019, 12:33 PM
Find More Posts by snorkey
USA
Joined Jan 2007
12 Posts
Hello, I am working on the landing gear and just wanted to know does the center cover get glued right to the landing gear? Someone said its supposed to be held in only by the fairings at each end.
The directions say to CA everything. Although I think canopy glue would probably be better.

Thanks
snorkey is offline Find More Posts by snorkey

Quick Reply