logo
Old 10-25-2020, 01:11 PM
Find More Posts by Freezer9
United States, CA, San Anselmo
Joined Oct 2020
22 Posts
Discussion
New to giant scale- BEC vs. Rcvr battery?

Hi all, first post here and new to giant scale, but decades of full-size flying and RC slopers. I'm getting a Hangar 9 Valiant 30cc powered by 10S LiPo, and the ESC I'll be using doesn't have an internal BEC. I'll need to power 7 digital servos, and I'm not sure if it would be best to get an external BEC or a dedicated LiPo receiver battery. Thoughts? Also if I do get a receiver battery, what mAh would be appropriate for this application? Thanks!!
Freezer9 is offline Find More Posts by Freezer9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-25-2020, 01:28 PM
Find More Posts by 2walla
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
3,095 Posts
I have done both.. I prefer the external bec as if the plane sits a a while you don’t have to worry about yet another battery.. I like the gryphon bec and have also had a couple of the castle ones that have all worked., That said a couple of heavy duty switches and a pair of 2500mah Lipo is cheap and would work fine too.. if using batteries I always run two batteries and two switches.. nothing fancy.
2walla is offline Find More Posts by 2walla
Old 10-25-2020, 02:34 PM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I sponser JR
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,808 Posts
I am no expert at electric planes but 2500mah seems like a one to maybe three minute flight.
Festivus is online now Find More Posts by Festivus
Old 10-25-2020, 03:34 PM
Find More Posts by 3DJP
United States, NJ, Penns Grove
Joined Dec 2015
1,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
I am no expert at electric planes but 2500mah seems like a one to maybe three minute flight.
I think he means for the receiever packs.. if that is the case 2 2500 mah packs will last all day plus on a plane like that.
3DJP is offline Find More Posts by 3DJP
Old 10-25-2020, 04:40 PM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I sponser JR
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,808 Posts
Ok like I said no expert the only nongas planes I see at my field use one or two batteries and power the servos off of the same batteries by the esc
Festivus is online now Find More Posts by Festivus
Old 10-25-2020, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
Which is fine right up to the moment when the esc goes kaput.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 10-25-2020, 09:19 PM
Find More Posts by 2walla
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
3,095 Posts
I have flown for a lot of years and looking back at inflight failures--a receiver, a couple of servos, 3-4 batteries quitting and a couple of switches that failed.. so i figure redundancy on the switches and batteries is the cheapest insurance. I do have one of my turbines that has been flying with a gryphon regulator running off the turbine battery for 5-6 years and a whole bunch of flights.. lots of the turbine helicopter guys run them with no problems. a lot of their models run upwards of 10K so they have a decent reputation. For a small simple plane like your valiant.the easiest is use a 2s lipo or LIFE and HV servos..but it is something else to charge. and as I said i would run 2.. batteries and switches are cheap.
2walla is offline Find More Posts by 2walla
Old 10-27-2020, 09:22 AM
Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
United States, IL, Moline
Joined Oct 2008
2,059 Posts
My 30cc planes get 2 small receiver packs and a wolverine switch, or 2 small packs , two small switches and a smart fly batt share. If a BEC fails you still crash. I'm trying to be safe and redundant. My 30cc laser has two 1300mah packs and a wolverine. 50cc has two 2500ish packs. My pattern planes have only two 450mah packs and still can last multiple flights. PM me for any more questions
nappyroots2182 is offline Find More Posts by nappyroots2182

Quick Reply