logo
Old 05-31-2008, 07:03 PM
Find More Posts by 777drvr
Joined Mar 2008
16 Posts
Re: Holy Cow !

Hey Thomas ,

I take it back . I think you do get it . Your initial post without any background info did not present you in a good light . As we all know , accidents/incidents are never because of one individual problem but a chain of events . I was thinking that you had no clue as to your fuel state and that you were going to let ATC turn you into a glider . As has already been mentioned , you can't spit in Florida without hitting an airport suitable for a King Air . Remember , you fly the airplane . If you have an emergency , declare it . Not priority handling . Either it's a dangerous ( engine out , possible fuel starvation) or it's not . Kind of like being a little bit pregnant ! Make ATC work for you in a situation like that !

It sounds like you're young and new at the game . It can be tough at that stage . Hopefully your Captain learned from this as well . I have certainly made mistakes in my career that could have killed me if the circumstances were not as forgiving but I've been lucky to survive those years and be in a good company flying good airplanes . I still make mistakes and still learn . You've admitted many times what was wrong with this situation and I'm sure you've learned from it .

Stay safe and good luck with your career !

Marc
777drvr is offline Find More Posts by 777drvr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-31-2008, 07:26 PM
Find More Posts by reyn3545
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Oct 2006
10,506 Posts

In the spirit of enlightenment....

WTF do you do for a living in a King Air that close to the ground, that fast, and with 180 degree turns? If I were you, my job would be testing out the vomit bags!
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Old 05-31-2008, 08:20 PM
Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Hero to the masses
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Sep 2006
4,194 Posts

hey PJ you forgot Smellbourne. I know, after four years living there I have done my best to forget about the place too , but someone's gotta give da MLB some love on this thread.
Flyfalcons is offline Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Old 06-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Find More Posts by Thomas_W
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2008
813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777drvr View Post
Hey Thomas ,

I take it back . I think you do get it . Your initial post without any background info did not present you in a good light . As we all know , accidents/incidents are never because of one individual problem but a chain of events . I was thinking that you had no clue as to your fuel state and that you were going to let ATC turn you into a glider . As has already been mentioned , you can't spit in Florida without hitting an airport suitable for a King Air . Remember , you fly the airplane . If you have an emergency , declare it . Not priority handling . Either it's a dangerous ( engine out , possible fuel starvation) or it's not . Kind of like being a little bit pregnant ! Make ATC work for you in a situation like that !

It sounds like you're young and new at the game . It can be tough at that stage . Hopefully your Captain learned from this as well . I have certainly made mistakes in my career that could have killed me if the circumstances were not as forgiving but I've been lucky to survive those years and be in a good company flying good airplanes . I still make mistakes and still learn . You've admitted many times what was wrong with this situation and I'm sure you've learned from it .

Stay safe and good luck with your career !

Marc
Marc,
i know exactly what you mean, i kind of left the first post very vague, so i had coming what to me what i got, i think some just jumped into judgement before knowing the entire scenario. I did all of my Flight training from private thru CFII in the central florida area, so everytime i go back its like "home". Everytime i go fly i learn something, which i believe its how it should be, we will never know anything, and if someone says they do, they are either ignorant or lying. haha I've been around aviation since i was born, and have been involved in it some form or another since the age of 12 (back in 1996) (when i first started working on my Pvt license). I've only been flying career wise since 06, so i've still got alot to learn. Just a lil FYI, 99% of our flight crews are under the age of 27. 99% of the FO's (me and 2 others excluded) have under 300 hours. Me and the other 2 are 1200+.. So our flying environment is pretty diverse and a PITA at times b/c of the lack of experience of some of the other crew members.

Quote:
In the spirit of enlightenment....

WTF do you do for a living in a King Air that close to the ground, that fast, and with 180 degree turns? If I were you, my job would be testing out the vomit bags!
We do geophysical survey work that low. We also do alot of "weird" contracts that aren' the norm for aviation. Awesome job, but the pay sucks as i make around the same as a regional FO w/ 10 times the duties as a "Pilot/Mechanic". But then again, i dont have to worry about the fluctuations that the reginonal guys do.

Anyways,
here's a shot from northern canada from back in November 07 at 500' descending down to 200'. Temp was -25c that day, and we are normally under pretty solid overcast layers of clouds, this was just a good day.

Thomas_W is offline Find More Posts by Thomas_W
Old 06-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Find More Posts by JohnVH
SnapShot
Joined Feb 2006
2,385 Posts

nice pics
JohnVH is offline Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old 06-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Find More Posts by N726AC
Seven.Four Liters
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Sep 2006
7,525 Posts

My part time FO office;

More

N726AC is offline Find More Posts by N726AC
Old 06-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Find More Posts by Thomas_W
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2008
813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N726AC View Post
My part time FO office;

More

ahh, your a lucky one. Were stuck w/ OOOOOOLLLLLDDDDDD A-90's. Our oldest one is a 1965 w/ about 15k + hours on it.. Hence another reason for our fuel gauges not being very accurate.. lol
Thomas_W is offline Find More Posts by Thomas_W

Quick Reply