logo
Old 03-15-2019, 04:35 AM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
8,040 Posts
Discussion
What is going to happen to Monokote / TopFLite???

Does anyone have any information on this?

I called Tower Hobbies to inquire as to why I cannot see the TopFLite Monokote Trim Solvent on the website and to ask If I can purchase a bottle from them.

The person who answered told me it is no longer available and that once Horizon Hobby purchased Hobbico, the TopFLite Line was not brought over and that means, all its products???

At which point, I became quite anxious and wanted to ask more questions and I was cut off. Meaning, the person did not want to or could not explain further to me.

By the way, the whole conversation was completely done in a calm and polite fashion and the person I spoke with was completely a gentleman with me on the phone.

I am not saying anything negative about him or Tower, I am explaining what happened in my mind! I freaked out to hear this news.

Does anyone know what will happen to Monokote?
orthobird is online now Find More Posts by orthobird
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-15-2019, 05:59 AM
Find More Posts by Helo1
Joined May 2009
450 Posts
Horizon is selling Top Flite products.
Tower carry the ARF - parts and Monokote. If the solvent is discontinued it can be for many reasons - but most likely not selling. Been in the hobby 50 years and I never needed the solvent in my build...and ... Monokote is my first choice of covering.
Helo1 is offline Find More Posts by Helo1
Old 03-15-2019, 06:26 AM
Find More Posts by rarcdon
United States, VA, Maidens
Joined Apr 2006
33 Posts
Cam,

My local Hobbytown shop shows they have it in stock. I'd be happy to go get you a bottle or two and ship it to you. PM me with your shipping information and I'll see what I can do.

Don
rarcdon is offline Find More Posts by rarcdon
Old 03-15-2019, 06:42 AM
Find More Posts by i8dpeach
"Winter is Coming!!"
United States, ME, Bath
Joined Jan 2015
252 Posts
I think it's just going to get harder to get but will still be available. They are selling out of 25' rolls every production run which is a good sign for keeping it going. I have tower emailing me when they show up and I'll grab a roll here and there, try to stockpile a bit.
i8dpeach is offline Find More Posts by i8dpeach
Old 03-15-2019, 07:46 AM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
4,505 Posts
You can use acetone,that is what trim solvent is made of.
closetguy is offline Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 03-15-2019, 08:25 AM
Find More Posts by Surfer Dude
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
569 Posts
Acetone
Surfer Dude is offline Find More Posts by Surfer Dude
Old 03-15-2019, 12:04 PM
Find More Posts by DGrant
Just havin' fun!
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2006
344 Posts
How does that acetone work on clean-up, or color bleed that occasionally occurs when overlapping colors?

I actually bought a few bottles of the Trim-Solvent as I've seen supplies dwindling, and with the happenings at Tower, and those particular brands they deal with being hard to obtain for a little while now I just took advantage of what I saw on the shelves at my LHS.

I probably have enough for 10yrs, and if kept shut tight it's shelf life is quite long... reality is I only use a fuzz of it on a cotton ball once in a blue moon, mostly to clean up color bleed.

... but I am curious about the acetone. Thx.
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old 03-15-2019, 01:19 PM
Find More Posts by alky6
United States, CA, Dixon
Joined Jul 2013
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant View Post
How does that acetone work on clean-up, or color bleed that occasionally occurs when overlapping colors?

I actually bought a few bottles of the Trim-Solvent as I've seen supplies dwindling, and with the happenings at Tower, and those particular brands they deal with being hard to obtain for a little while now I just took advantage of what I saw on the shelves at my LHS.

I probably have enough for 10yrs, and if kept shut tight it's shelf life is quite long... reality is I only use a fuzz of it on a cotton ball once in a blue moon, mostly to clean up color bleed.

... but I am curious about the acetone. Thx.
The acetone works great for clean up and bleed of colors. I have used it repeatedly. Works great for removal of pen marks to layout overlapping colors too. Due care is required otherwise it will take more color off the edges if not careful.
alky6 is offline Find More Posts by alky6
Old 03-15-2019, 01:41 PM
Find More Posts by dusturbd
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2015
617 Posts
Lacquer thinner works great
dusturbd is online now Find More Posts by dusturbd
Old 03-15-2019, 02:29 PM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
4,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alky6 View Post
The acetone works great for clean up and bleed of colors. I have used it repeatedly. Works great for removal of pen marks to layout overlapping colors too. Due care is required otherwise it will take more color off the edges if not careful.

Yep I use a dampen Q-tip just enough to wet the edges of over lapping colors..But not enough to get under the covering.
closetguy is offline Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 03-15-2019, 05:18 PM
Just havin' fun!
Joined Apr 2006
344 Posts
Perfect. Thanks kindly for the responses.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:27 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,341 Posts
A lot more to Trim Solvent than just acetone. My bottle's label reads like a chemistry exam. Acetone works OK to remove color bleed but MEK is a bit more aggressive and works better. Neither material will damage the surface.

For decades, Monokote was my favorite covering but I've pretty well steered away from it after getting several bad rolls a couple years back. Some rolls worked fine, others were crap. Old stock that I'm about out of is a pleasure to use. So frustrated with the new stuff the last time I bought some, I've steered away from it since. Ultracote works OK but will never replace the Monokote of years past. I certainly wish Monokote well and I hope the supply continues.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 03-15-2019, 05:57 PM
Find More Posts by Jackdl
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Oct 2012
152 Posts
When it first came out I ran an analysis on it and found it consist of about four different solvents. I don't remember what they all were but one of them was methylethyl Keytone, probably some acetone and as I recall some less volatile solvents probably so it didn't evaporate so fast.
Jackdl is offline Find More Posts by Jackdl
Old 03-15-2019, 06:17 PM
Find More Posts by Kevin K
WI
Joined Jun 2007
601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
Ultracote works OK but will never replace the Monokote of years past. I certainly wish Monokote well and I hope the supply continues.

The old Monokote of the 80's and 90's seemed to create a molecular bond to itself that could not be removed, not short of destroying the layer under it. I don't recall ever having it de-laminate from glow fuel exposure. Ultra is sure nice to work with but not nearly as permanent.
Kevin K is offline Find More Posts by Kevin K
Old 03-15-2019, 08:56 PM
Just havin' fun!
Joined Apr 2006
344 Posts
Funny the Monokote comments come up... I just had to toss a brand new roll of aluminum today. Probably old stock(based on labeling), and I just couldn't get the backing to delaminate without flaking and leaving unremovable residue.

I only needed a small swatch of it for a particular part of my project, and after cutting a few swatches, and trying as I may to get the backing to release, I unfurled the roll and tried the end(inside) portion... and nope, the backing just wouldn't release other then very small flakes.. so I opened another roll of aluminum and it was fine.

Oh well.. I'm fortunate I had some, and bought in bulk from different sources... but something was up with that roll I tossed... I'm not one to toss films unless I can't work with them. This particular roll was impossible.

With the new roll, the project moved along well. Very workable.

Quick Reply