logo
Old 02-04-2019, 08:59 PM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
1,205 Posts
Discussion
IMAC...An approach that might help.

I have been in IMAC for over a decade. Spent enough money to buy another home on it and had a really good time doing it. I'm 60 now and finding I'm not as worried about winning any more as I am wondering who all I can grab a great dinner with on Friday and Saturday night after flying.
I don't have any urge to disrupt or mess with IMAC because its good like it is. Its not new anymore and the FAA, the economy and our hobby heading in different directions has caused a decline in membership.....not to mention a couple other reasons that I'll let others cry about later on if they must.
I have been flying 35% aircraft in competition as of late and find its enough for me. I want to suggest an old idea that may deserve another look.
A friend of mine who has found himself with changing priorities and still wishing to fly IMAC, decided to stay at the 35% aircraft level. I agreed with him that these aircraft have some real benefits. They are far less money in many cases. Easier to transport, simpler than the four cylinder jobs and if heaven calls your 35%er home... it ain't no big thang! Not only that but I find it more fun chasing down the guy in the lead than being in first and hoping I don't look "too bad" if a guy with a 35%er passes me by.
I'm not trying to re-invent any part of IMAC but think of the positives! Imagine if we do as they did for biplanes and gave a roughly 2% bonus to those in the top three classes who decided to swallow their Carden-Pro pride and duke it out with a smaller weapon. Talk about bragging right! Santiago did it in Vegas w/a 35%er.
And it would also attract some of the pilots out there who already fly 35%ers knowing they now get a mathematical helping hand to at least make it a real game!
Here are my wishes. Lets discuss this and any other good ideas w/o poo pooing each other. No garbage talk and be constructive.
Yea this is my idea (might not be original).
But I would love to here other proposals.
I heard a speaker say one time that " The size of the man can best be determined by the size of the things that make him mad."
He said for him it was a little white golf ball. lets keep it positive and search for ways to bring new life into good old IMAC.
super rookie is offline Find More Posts by super rookie
Last edited by super rookie; 02-04-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-04-2019, 10:25 PM
Find More Posts by torquen
Lodi, Ca. USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,650 Posts
I’m not one for handicaps. In most sports and hobby’s the handicap becomes more advanced and the same trend continues.
Even with the old bi-plane rule, the designers were able to get them to fly just as good if not better and the next thing you know everyone wanted a high tech bipe.
250/450 dirt bikes were a handicap and then the next thing you know they are getting all the technology poured into them. 4/5 valve engines turning huge numbers and all it did was drive the price up.

People enjoy building what they want. Just like you pointed out it’s not always the plane that wins. There are several full unlimited planes flying in basic through adv that get beat time after time.

I remember the one design. It was to make everyone on an even playing field. It’s now a thing of the past because people didn’t want it.

Fly what you want. Spend what you want. In the end it’s practice, skill, and dedication.

Oh I do have a funny story. At a trap shooting comp I went to with my friend that is pretty set in life when it comes to money. He is a very good shot. Has a custom made shotgun that costs upwards of $40,000.
He does good in the event, I think top 5. Afterwards this super cocky guy that beats him is packing up his stuff in the truck next to him. My buddy has a good sized group of guys at his truck looking at his new shotgun.
The guy pipes up and says “Hey what does that shot gun do over mine”? “He continues, my $1,200 gun goes boom every time, breaks clays almost every shot, and only cost me penny’s compared to yours. “
My buddy smiles and everyone looks at him like oh crap what is going to be the comeback. In a nice calm voice he says “Yes son you are correct, the only difference is you don’t have 12 guys standing by your truck looking at your shotgun.”
torquen is offline Find More Posts by torquen
Old 02-04-2019, 10:27 PM
Find More Posts by flyracer
Wanna Be 3D Pilot
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Apr 2007
1,013 Posts
As Super Rookie stated, circumstance has made me reevaluate how I approach IMAC competitions and my equipment. I'm not ready to leave IMAC and precision aerobatics, however maintaining high dollar 40% - 42% airplanes, quad engines, etc is no longer attractive or necessary for me. Moving forward, my IMAC airplane(s) will be 35% sized. It simplifies the transportation (I dont need a trailer), keeping spares is less cost intensive and the initial setup of a 35% IMAC plane doesn't require a 2nd mortgage.... maybe that's what we need to get more pilots pulled into IMAC!
flyracer is offline Find More Posts by flyracer
Old 02-04-2019, 10:47 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,205 Posts
Torquen, thanks for your thoughts, (funny story). I actually feel like I am doing much of what you are describing. Using a lesser plane and doing the best I can with it. I feel like more of a winner coming from behind than dominating with the best equipment money can buy.
One thing that would be great to see is manufacturers getting more involved with the production of purpose built 35% planes that are meant for precision and not a "compromise" of 3D and precision. There are a few out there now and I think more would jump in if they saw a stronger presence.
Last edited by super rookie; 02-04-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:56 PM
Find More Posts by torquen
Lodi, Ca. USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super rookie View Post
Torquen, thanks for your thoughts, (funny story). I actually feel like I am doing much of what you are describing. Using a lesser plane and doing the best I can with it. I feel like more of a winner coming from behind than dominating with the best equipment money can buy.
I think as long as you are having fun that’s what matters. Not what class, or what plane you fly.

One other observation that makes me wonder if cost is the “real” issue. I see so many amazing fully unlimited comp arf, Carden pro’s and Dalton’s listed on here each week. They sit and get bumped back up at even lower prices and people are not snagging them.
If it was only cost these low priced planes would be sold instantly.
torquen is offline Find More Posts by torquen
Last edited by torquen; 02-04-2019 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:03 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by torquen View Post
I think as long as you are having fun that’s what matters. Not what class, or what plane you fly.
Funny thing. I have two really awesome Pros and I had more fun flying my PAU 35% extra. No pressure, no worries, and I came in 5th out of 13. it felt good!!
I have been looking at the krill 35% designs and Jtec etc but for now I'm enjoying my new approach. its a lot less hassle.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:25 AM
Find More Posts by eheliflyer
TEAM FUTABA
Mansfield Oh
Joined May 2006
1,664 Posts
I have brought this very idea up in multiple threads both here and the IMAC site over the last 3 to 4 years and have been met with nothing but opposition. I think it is an outstanding idea but those who make the final decisions fail to see the potential benefits.
eheliflyer is offline Find More Posts by eheliflyer
Old 02-05-2019, 07:45 AM
Joined Sep 2009
1,205 Posts
After a good night's sleep, I had a chance to think about some of these comments and ideas and
here is what I came up with.
A 2% bonus for 35% or smaller planes is a possibility but you may have problems when pilots
who can dominate with one, enter the mix.
I think also that cost isn't the issue for all but as explained by "flyracer" above, it is a real factor for some. These days it is a factor for me as well.....my priorities are evolving too.
I'm not trying to force a rule on anyone to limit size, or dollars or anything. I am pointing out that lots of folks fly 35% out there who might fly IMAC if we found a way to draw them to it.
I don't think most of the 35% planes can compete evenly with 40% purpose built planes. I for one moved my stabs back a few inches on my PAU and it made it track even better.
Perhaps the answer is in the development of more purpose built precision 35% planes. I don't know if or how it would ever happen but it might be great to see suppliers provide a precision option to their already marketed 3D versions ie smaller moving surfaces and so forth. Krill has a couple offerings maybe others can follow.
Last edited by super rookie; 02-05-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:22 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
Chuck there is nothing stopping you or anyone else from implementing the idea. The IMAC BOD and others may not endorse it but they have zero say as to whether or not you do it. I read a lot in these threads that IMAC should try this or that but what I don't see is guys implementing their own ideas. Prove the idea, then people will listen.

Those that know me also know that when we introduced Intermediate we were met with severe criticism from the IMAC faithful. We proved it worked and eventually IMAC saw the benefit. Do not wait for others to effect change.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Last edited by FGNewbie; 02-05-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:47 AM
Joined Sep 2009
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
Chuck there is nothing stopping you or anyone else from implementing the idea. The IMAC BOD and others may not endorse it but they have zero say as to whether or not you do it. I read a lot in these threads that IMAC should try this or that but what I don't see is guys implementing their own ideas. Prove the idea, then people will listen.

Those that know me also know that when we introduced Intermediate we were met with severe criticism from the IMAC faithful. We proved it worked and eventually IMAC saw the benefit. Do not wait for others to effect change.

I agree. Flyracer and myself are enjoying and showing the logic behind 35% planes.
It has to build from somewhere and why not here? 35% isn't going to take over 40% and that isn't my goal. I just want to showcase an idea that can help advance IMAC a bit.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:53 AM
Find More Posts by bruce leach
United States, NY, Haverstraw
Joined Apr 2010
113 Posts
I like the idea of "smaller" planes. In fact, I just joined IMAC and want to learn new things and become a more proficient flyer. Living in New York, there is only one contest near me. Maybe we can change that to two contests one day. Being that I'll be starting in Basic, I am going to do it with either a 40 or 60 size Stik. Why? Because I am comfortable with them and even won some Pattern contests in Sportsman with them. I want to show people that the lower classes in both Pattern and IMAC are a great way to learn practical skills that can be used in all areas of R/C and don't require a "special" plane to get started.
bruce leach is offline Find More Posts by bruce leach
Old 02-05-2019, 09:32 AM
Find More Posts by KEITH RUSH
KEITH RUSH
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2006
605 Posts
Myself, I would probably still be flying a 35%, but I was having a hard time seeing it. I will say though, that most of that had to do with the colors. Just ended up being too dark for me. Also, being in Basic (I'll probably be there forever), and flying against 40% with 200's was a little overwhelming, but it's all mind set in a way. I flipped the script, and used it as a challenge to myself. I was like fine, fly your 200 in basic. Won't matter, cause I'm going to kick your @@@ with a 35%.

The other thing is people tend to do what everyone else is doing? If there flying 40%'s in Basic, we all tend to think we have to do the same. If you want to help change the mind set, and get more people flying 35%'s to give it a try, I think doing what FGNewbie is saying about implementing the idea is a great approach. Pick a few of the contests and reach out to the ones that are signing up, and suggest flying their 35% at that contest if they have one. And then really promote those contests to people that are flying 35% and below that have thought about it. If they see a lot flying 35%, maybe it won't be so overwhelming to them and we can draw a few more.

I can tell ya the pucker factor goes down for me flying a 35% over a 40%!!!

Keith from Bahrain!!
KEITH RUSH is offline Find More Posts by KEITH RUSH
Last edited by KEITH RUSH; 02-05-2019 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Rewording
Old 02-05-2019, 09:34 AM
Find More Posts by Jason T
Canada, ON, Sudbury
Joined Sep 2015
373 Posts
Being Fairly new to IMAC (3rd yr) in Ontario Canada, I can see this becoming a reality (smaller airplanes) in the not so distant future.
We have 3 contest in Ontario. 2 of which are 6 hour drives for me living in Northern Ontario.
There are fields in between that have Imac interests, but are just too small to host an event with 40% planes.
We had a discussion about this same type of topic on another forum.
Someone had mentioned that if you restrict the plane size, under the current IMAC / SA rules it would not count as a "official" contest? -
Jason T is offline Find More Posts by Jason T
Last edited by Jason T; 02-05-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:58 AM
Find More Posts by tobytorkn
peebles
Joined Jan 2006
664 Posts
Super rookie, I’ve spent hundreds of hours designing this yak55sp over the last 9 years. I’ve moved things wings,elev, thrust line. I’ve changed wing, elevator, and rudder airfoils many times. I’ve even changed plane cowl/fuse diameter to increase downline breaking. I will put this plane up against ANY 40% out there. I have so many notes on this plane I could write 2 books. I’ve literally built cnc machines just to make parts for this plane. Like you have found, just a few tweaks is the difference between good and great. Everyone, you can win with a 35% or smaller! Chase the dream not the competition! Toby
tobytorkn is offline Find More Posts by tobytorkn
Old 02-05-2019, 10:09 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
what makes a contest "official" is whether it counts towards regional points. what randy is talking about is trying to make it both fun and more attractive to most. the Friday and Saturday night dinners, the horseplay during the event, seeing old friends and making new ones.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie

Quick Reply