Old 08-10-2009, 06:01 AM
Find More Posts by hodderjohn
Newcastle NSW Australia
Joined Mar 2006
515 Posts
Re: 50% Hempel Edge 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra3w View Post
Thanks for that, I will make that my starting point.

Mike
Hi Mike
I've got an Edge as well, with the CG at 184mm from leading edge that's about 7 1/4" or 75mm from the centre of the wing tube, about 3".
With all the batteries up the front at the firewall, and the rudder servos down the back.
hodderjohn is offline Find More Posts by hodderjohn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-10-2009, 06:27 AM
Find More Posts by Aussieaero's
Now I can see it
Joined Mar 2007
615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodderjohn View Post
Hi Mike
I've got an Edge as well, with the CG at 184mm from leading edge that's about 7 1/4" or 75mm from the centre of the wing tube, about 3".
With all the batteries up the front at the firewall, and the rudder servos down the back.
Hi John
Thanks for that. Sounds like I will be adding some tail wait. Did I read that you were putting a 3W in yours to replace the Evo and have you got it back in the air with the new motor? Also do you think I will need so much fuel tank or do you run less?
Cheers Mike
Aussieaero's is offline Find More Posts by Aussieaero's
Old 08-10-2009, 06:27 AM
Find More Posts by Devo
BACK IN YAK :)
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
905 Posts

Gee Mike you like those big planes...nice one though.
Devo is offline Find More Posts by Devo
Old 08-10-2009, 06:47 AM
Find More Posts by Talbs
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Jan 2006
593 Posts

Quote:
Hey talbs I showed ya mine so where is yours. Have we got a new 260 yet???
Not yet, getting close, within the next week i think.
Talbs is offline Find More Posts by Talbs
Old 08-10-2009, 06:48 AM
Now I can see it
Joined Mar 2007
615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo View Post
Gee Mike you like those big planes...nice one though.
Love my big Edge
I hear yours is back in the air and hopfully your run of rotten luck has come to an end.
Are you vic guys coming over again for our state champs in Oct ???
Old 08-10-2009, 06:52 AM
Now I can see it
Joined Mar 2007
615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbs View Post
Not yet, getting close, within the next week i think.
You working this week or got some flying planed. I think Pundi and may be Matty C are coming down to Connie this weekend.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:17 AM
Newcastle NSW Australia
Joined Mar 2006
515 Posts

Quote:
Hi John
Thanks for that. Sounds like I will be adding some tail wait. Did I read that you were putting a 3W in yours to replace the Evo and have you got it back in the air with the new motor? Also do you think I will need so much fuel tank or do you run less?
Cheers Mike
Yes Mike
I have got the 3W 275 TS CS in it now, flew it for the first time at the weekend with the new motor, I'm undicided about how much fuel to carry, at the momnent I've got two 50oz tanks in it.
Apart from the rudder servos I have no extra weight in the tail, to have the CG 4" in front of the centre of the wing tube you would have to add weight to the nose not the tail. ( I think)
Old 08-10-2009, 07:29 AM
Now I can see it
Joined Mar 2007
615 Posts

Quote:
Yes Mike
I have got the 3W 275 TS CS in it now, flew it for the first time at the weekend with the new motor, I'm undicided about how much fuel to carry, at the momnent I've got two 50oz tanks in it.
Apart from the rudder servos I have no extra weight in the tail, to have the CG 4" in front of the centre of the wing tube you would have to add weight to the nose not the tail. ( I think)
Not having the servo's in the tail like yours will make mine nose heavy at the cg ??? Now im confused
Old 08-10-2009, 07:59 AM
Newcastle NSW Australia
Joined Mar 2006
515 Posts

Quote:
Not having the servo's in the tail like yours will make mine nose heavy at the cg ??? Now im confused
Mike it will not be to nose heavy.
After reading the build threads from the States, they were all saying you could not make one of these things tail heavy, so at the start I put all my batteries down the tail. The first flight it was so tail heavy I had to land it by holding down elevator all the way to the ground. After that I moved all the batteries up as far as I could to the front and it is just fine. Even with the batteries up the front I still think it's a bit tail heavy. My CG is 3" from the centre of the wing tube, if it was to be 4" as sugested by Geeez not only would I need to put the batteries up the front, but about a 2 pound weight as well.
Just get the CG in between 3" and 4" from the centre of the wing tube and it will be fine.
Best of luck.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Find More Posts by Devo
BACK IN YAK :)
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
905 Posts

Im looking at it...just trying to convince my travel partners....might even come on my own this time with the family in tow as my cousins are all in SA....would prefer to go with the guys though.

Yeah Edge is back in the air..thanks to many....

Yak arrives tomorrow.....at last...has been a long wait. but should be worth it I hope. 2 planes will hopefully stop me from having such a break in practice again....

Like you new beast Mike....Rob

Quote:
Love my big Edge
I hear yours is back in the air and hopfully your run of rotten luck has come to an end.
Are you vic guys coming over again for our state champs in Oct ???
Devo is offline Find More Posts by Devo
Old 08-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Now I can see it
Joined Mar 2007
615 Posts

Quote:
Mike it will not be to nose heavy.
After reading the build threads from the States, they were all saying you could not make one of these things tail heavy, so at the start I put all my batteries down the tail. The first flight it was so tail heavy I had to land it by holding down elevator all the way to the ground. After that I moved all the batteries up as far as I could to the front and it is just fine. Even with the batteries up the front I still think it's a bit tail heavy. My CG is 3" from the centre of the wing tube, if it was to be 4" as sugested by Geeez not only would I need to put the batteries up the front, but about a 2 pound weight as well.
Just get the CG in between 3" and 4" from the centre of the wing tube and it will be fine.
Best of luck.
Arrr Thanks john, I to read the threads from the states and saw every one had put the rudder servo's in the back. But now you say that I understand. I would prefer it a bit nose heavy to start out.
Mike
Old 08-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Now I can see it
Joined Mar 2007
615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo View Post
Im looking at it...just trying to convince my travel partners....might even come on my own this time with the family in tow as my cousins are all in SA....would prefer to go with the guys though.

Yeah Edge is back in the air..thanks to many....

Yak arrives tomorrow.....at last...has been a long wait. but should be worth it I hope. 2 planes will hopefully stop me from having such a break in practice again....

Like you new beast Mike....Rob
It would be great if you all came across as it made for a great comp last year
Make sure you post some pic's of the new yak when you get it out of the box. What size is it? Is it the same size as TD's?
Old 08-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Find More Posts by toc pilot
Tucson, Az.
Joined Jan 2006
2,067 Posts

Hello!

The CG is measured 5 7/8" back from the leading edge WITHOUT the wings on, or the canopy hatch. This is the CG measurement for the fuselage only.

About the CG. The Egde 540 has a HUGE CG range and for those people installing the batteiries in the tail; this is good for great freestle 3D flying. You can still 3D the airplane with the batteries in normal mounting locations. I have tested the CG a lot and a lot of you know or have seen the crecent wrench strapped to the tail wheel of mine. This wrench weighed 1 pound and the most noticible difference was that the airplane pivited more for waterfalls and elevators. But to say the airplane is NOSE HEAVY with the batteries in the fuse is a mistake. It really depends upon the type of flying people want to do. The Edge 540 flys GREAT without batteries and servos in the tail, it may not 3D as well but the plane will fly more precise. Moving a pound of weight is not a big deal in this airplane.

Send me an email if you want additional information or pictures of my set up. billhempel@cox.net

Bill Hempel

PS- your plane looks GREAT!!
toc pilot is offline Find More Posts by toc pilot
Old 08-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Find More Posts by Gaaaz
Belgium
Joined Feb 2006
73 Posts

Even with the Edge nose-heavy you can perform a hover-flatspin-harrier-roll Do not try this at home!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWYawe1dVu0 watch 1:25
Gaaaz is offline Find More Posts by Gaaaz
Old 08-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Newcastle NSW Australia
Joined Mar 2006
515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toc pilot View Post
Hello!

The CG is measured 5 7/8" back from the leading edge WITHOUT the wings on, or the canopy hatch. This is the CG measurement for the fuselage only.

About the CG. The Egde 540 has a HUGE CG range and for those people installing the batteiries in the tail; this is good for great freestle 3D flying. You can still 3D the airplane with the batteries in normal mounting locations. I have tested the CG a lot and a lot of you know or have seen the crecent wrench strapped to the tail wheel of mine. This wrench weighed 1 pound and the most noticible difference was that the airplane pivited more for waterfalls and elevators. But to say the airplane is NOSE HEAVY with the batteries in the fuse is a mistake. It really depends upon the type of flying people want to do. The Edge 540 flys GREAT without batteries and servos in the tail, it may not 3D as well but the plane will fly more precise. Moving a pound of weight is not a big deal in this airplane.

Send me an email if you want additional information or pictures of my set up. billhempel@cox.net

Bill Hempel

PS- your plane looks GREAT!!
Thanks for clearing that up Bill.
I done all my CG with wings on and hatch in place, it will be interesting to see the difference. I now have my Edge flying once again, with the 3W 275 CS TS and your 3 blader, what a combination.
Thanks for all your help Bill

Quick Reply