logo
Old 11-09-2019, 02:35 AM
Find More Posts by sthudson
Grants Pass, OR
Joined Sep 2007
644 Posts
I finally got mine in the air last weekend. Had a successful maiden, with a great day to follow. What a blast!

I was excited to get back out this weekend and was loading up tonight when I discovered my nose gear failed to retract. Checked everything out and it appears it has just quite. Brand new set of Prolinks with just a couple flights. So I'm a little bummed to say the least. Oh well, I'll give Dreamworks a call on Monday and get a new motor on the way.

Thanks again Wayne for starting this thread and getting my juices flowing last year

Scott
sthudson is offline Find More Posts by sthudson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-09-2019, 07:32 AM
Find More Posts by wmat7039
SILVER FOX
United States, GA, Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthudson View Post
I finally got mine in the air last weekend. Had a successful maiden, with a great day to follow. What a blast!

I was excited to get back out this weekend and was loading up tonight when I discovered my nose gear failed to retract. Checked everything out and it appears it has just quite. Brand new set of Prolinks with just a couple flights. So I'm a little bummed to say the least. Oh well, I'll give Dreamworks a call on Monday and get a new motor on the way.

Thanks again Wayne for starting this thread and getting my juices flowing last year

Scott
Hey Scott... CONGRATS!! I'm glad that you got her up & running with a successful maiden. It is always good to have that first flight go well. I'm glad that you traced where the issue is on the L/Gear and can replace the part.

This thread has helped me more that anything else.......as it was because of input from more experienced jet pilots who steered me along the way, and kept me on the proper path. I'm glad that it has done its job in motivating you to push further towards completion of your jet. She looks great and I'm sure those wings are highly visible in the sky!!

Yes... I did some things my way which I brought over from all the years of flying Scale Aerobatics. Those were proven there and the principles still work with the jets (for me). I've met a great bunch of guys, here and abroad, who have cemented for me the direction I would like to continue on.

I can honestly say that I am not bored at all and tomorrow I'll be going out with Dan Baker and his new 120mm EDF Avanti which he wants to fly in the EDF class in 2020. We are now in the trimming stages as he maidened it a few weeks ago, but had to leave town for work.
Wayne
wmat7039 is offline Find More Posts by wmat7039
Old 11-09-2019, 07:46 AM
SILVER FOX
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky F. Knuckle View Post
If I ever get my job situation figured out, I would love to give F3S a go. Anyone know where the closest event is to Ohiomm
I am sure you will eventually get the job stuff straightened out and you will be more settled then. I am also sure you would enjoy giving F3S a "whirl." Everything takes a bit of time to develop and as of now, I'm not sure how near a F3S event will be to Ohio. I do know that there are several jet pilots (Mike McConville, Chris Woycke, Joe Allen, Matt Carruthers) and a few others who are North of me and will be involved. Maybe you guys should all get together and organize an event in 2020.

I know that Archie & Matt are planning the Jet Nationals at the same venue in Mountain City, TN for 2020 and they have received "overtures" from a couple of jet pilots from New Zealand. In Jamaica we used to say: "One, one cocoa, full basket." One step at a time and we will get there!

Looking forward to meeting up with you guys for some flying!!
Wayne
Old 11-12-2019, 09:07 AM
SILVER FOX
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
2020 Jet NATIONALS

Plans are underway to set the dates for the 2020 Jet Nationals, which will be held at the same venue in (Mountain City Airport) Tennessee as in 2019.

A question for Jet pilots (who would consider attending) in the USA: Would JUNE 25-28, 2020 work for you? If the event is held on this date, it would be after WINIMAC and 2 weeks before Kentucky Jets.

Let us know your thoughts, as Archie would like to button down the dates to continue with the planning. It really was an enjoyable event!!
THANKS
W
Old 11-12-2019, 10:09 AM
Find More Posts by Carruthers43
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Aug 2010
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmat7039 View Post
Plans are underway to set the dates for the 2020 Jet Nationals, which will be held at the same venue in (Mountain City Airport) Tennessee as in 2019.

A question for Jet pilots (who would consider attending) in the USA: Would JUNE 25-28, 2020 work for you? If the event is held on this date, it would be after WINIMAC and 2 weeks before Kentucky Jets.

Let us know your thoughts, as Archie would like to button down the dates to continue with the planning. It really was an enjoyable event!!
THANKS
W
im in as long as my boss lets me off lol... and i can get some practice
Carruthers43 is offline Find More Posts by Carruthers43
Old 11-13-2019, 10:07 PM
Find More Posts by rcflying53
Airliner Huckin'
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2010
488 Posts
I’ve already got it on my calendar, Wayne! My new BVM L-39 is being worked hard already for the scale class. Probably doing double duty next year!
rcflying53 is offline Find More Posts by rcflying53
Old 11-14-2019, 08:48 AM
SILVER FOX
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
Thanks guys! I'm working on the website right now and it will be transferred shortly whereby I can get it updated with new information and photos.

If anyone would like their photos included, please be aware that because of privacy laws, when you send me a photo, this will give us authorization to publish it/them. We are living in a different age now. When I was young, life was so much simpler!
W
Old 11-16-2019, 09:42 AM
SILVER FOX
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
The website has been transferred and we are working to get it updated with more information as the days go by. Archie is working to get everything ironed down for the Jet NATS. Who knows where this will lead? The FAI has never had a World Championships for jets as yet and there are folks involved who have done such a "thing." ......Hmmmm!!!

Here is the address which has not changed, but the site has.

F3S WEBSITE

There is also a F A C E B O O K site, which is accessible from the above website as I don't think a link can be put here.
Wayne
Old 11-25-2019, 02:22 PM
Grants Pass, OR
Joined Sep 2007
644 Posts
Brake advice

Dreamworks provided great customer service and replaced the nose gear actuator motor under warranty. I was able to get out last weekend for another couple flights. Getting the plane trimmed and feeling a lot more comfortable. Still haven't calibrated and used the gyro on the Mercury yet. Hopefully next time out.

I'm curious if what I'm experiencing with the electric brakes is normal. First a little more info. I have the Prolink electric gear with electric brakes controlled by the Xicoy controller. I set them up on the right slider of my DX18. While assembling and setting them up originally on my bench, I noticed one side had noticeably more drag than the other whenever they were engaged. Not really knowing what I was doing, I tried swapping the rotors side to side, rotating them 180, swapping washers, etc. and came across a combo that provided much more even drag. I enabled the pulse feature and using the programmer I set the max brake to 70%. This seemed more than enough to slow it down, without locking them up if I panic'd.

This all seemed to work fairly well on my maiden weekend, except for on my last flight I started to turn at the end of the runway with brakes applied and it drifted sideways, causing some flat spots. I ordered new tires and installed them without issue. When I reassembled everything I noticed the brakes didn't seem to have the same fiction as before. Same rotors in same locations, and I even cleaned the surfaces with some rubbing alcohol while apart. When I got to the field and assembled the plane I still noticed the brakes seemed soft, so I plugged in the programmer and adjusted the max from 70 to 80%. This felt like where it was before. At 1/2 on my slider there was some resistance, and at full slider there was more, but they would still turn by hand. I had two flights and each landing was smooth and slow. I only went to 1/2 slider on each flight. While tearing down that day, I noticed 1 tire had a worn area. I powered up the plane on the stand and went to 1/2 slider and noticed that side would nearly lock up now. Other side seemed as it was before. Whenever I would turn the wheel by hand and apply the brakes, I couldn't get the same feel each time. In other words, sometimes they were normal, while others they had much more friction.

Does the cold morning temp make them different than later in the day? Does the rotor warm up while in use causing a change? Not sure if this is just nature of the beast?

Thanks!
Scott
Old 11-28-2019, 08:47 AM
SILVER FOX
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
Hey Scott.... Since I didn't have any personal experience with Prolink electric brakes, I waited to see if someone else had, before answering.

My gears are Electron with electric brakes. The principle is the same but I'm not sure that the controller acts like yours. When I installed the Electrons (not brand new but with only a few flights), they were inspected by Electron USA and given a clean bill of health. I could not get the controller to recognize the signal from the radio (on screen) but the brakes were showing that they were holding when testing.

At the Jet NATS last year, the surface was not grass (which my home field is) and on landing, I had to be patient for the Leo to slow down. I finally called Greg at Electron and he steered me through the set-up and we eventually got the system working properly. The controller has it's own gyro system which helps to keep it straight on the runway with the proper setting.

So....coming back to your situation...... I had pulled my brakes down, as I had no idea how it actually works and cleaned the pads & discs with alcohol. I did see a change for the better after cleaning. I have never had a "grab" or flat spot, since the controller has a setting that "pulses" the brakes instead of a solid lock. I'm not sure if your controller has such a setting. Maybe looking into that option might help with the flat spots on the tires that you are experiencing.
Wayne
Old 11-28-2019, 12:35 PM
Grants Pass, OR
Joined Sep 2007
644 Posts
Thanks Wayne and Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone else!

My controller does have the pulse feature which I have enabled. The issue I'm having in inconsistency. The amount of drag seems to vary quit a bit and I haven't been able to determine yet what is the cause. And last time out at the beginning of the day both sides seemed fairly even, and by days end when tearing down I noticed one side would nearly lock up while the other was the same as earlier in the day. I'm going to take them apart and check for any debris that may have got in the one side. I'm also going to turn down the max setting, thinking that when the disc warms up from friction it becomes more effective?? Just some trial and error.

Thanks again,
Scott
Old 11-28-2019, 09:47 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmat7039 View Post
Hey Scott.... Since I didn't have any personal experience with Prolink electric brakes, I waited to see if someone else had, before answering.

My gears are Electron with electric brakes. The principle is the same but I'm not sure that the controller acts like yours. When I installed the Electrons (not brand new but with only a few flights), they were inspected by Electron USA and given a clean bill of health. I could not get the controller to recognize the signal from the radio (on screen) but the brakes were showing that they were holding when testing.

At the Jet NATS last year, the surface was not grass (which my home field is) and on landing, I had to be patient for the Leo to slow down. I finally called Greg at Electron and he steered me through the set-up and we eventually got the system working properly. The controller has it's own gyro system which helps to keep it straight on the runway with the proper setting.

So....coming back to your situation...... I had pulled my brakes down, as I had no idea how it actually works and cleaned the pads & discs with alcohol. I did see a change for the better after cleaning. I have never had a "grab" or flat spot, since the controller has a setting that "pulses" the brakes instead of a solid lock. I'm not sure if your controller has such a setting. Maybe looking into that option might help with the flat spots on the tires that you are experiencing.
Wayne

Wayne, which controller are you using on your Leo with Electrons? I currently have the RB45 installed in my Odyssey, but still using the TopRC brake controller. The plan this winter is to remove the TopRC brake controller, and check all the functions again, as well as outfit a classic G200 from the Tournament of Champion days, just for me to piddle around with.

Curious as to how you set up the pulsing of the brakes with Electron retracts and brakes. Because I have been having issues with my left main locking up, and nearly spinning my jet 180. I was at the DOGS show this year, and had some time to monkey with my brakes, and I flipped the rotor on the left main. It helped considerably. But I still think it can be alot better.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 11-29-2019, 09:10 AM
SILVER FOX
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky F. Knuckle View Post
Wayne, which controller are you using on your Leo with Electrons? I currently have the RB45 installed in my Odyssey, but still using the TopRC brake controller. The plan this winter is to remove the TopRC brake controller, and check all the functions again, as well as outfit a classic G200 from the Tournament of Champion days, just for me to piddle around with.

Curious as to how you set up the pulsing of the brakes with Electron retracts and brakes. Because I have been having issues with my left main locking up, and nearly spinning my jet 180. I was at the DOGS show this year, and had some time to monkey with my brakes, and I flipped the rotor on the left main. It helped considerably. But I still think it can be alot better.
Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. Yesterday, I went out to watch "Ford v Ferrari" movie. I was surprised at how good a movie it turned out to be. Although it was long, it never seemed that way at all and was exciting throughout.

I got the GS-200 controller from Electron. It has an infinite amount of adjustments in gyro, steering and brake parameters, which I haven't even tapped into, but the investment was well worth it. One particular option I really like is the manual switching of gear up/down when assembling/disassembling the jet at the field. There is no need to switch on the transmitter, as the gears can be lowered etc at will.

The pulsing option ranges from 1/5 up to 1/1 so you can adjust the force ratio from 1/5th of full force up to full. It also has differential braking which uses the brakes to help steer the plane and applies the force to the proper side. This is mostly used in Warbird tail draggers (P-47 rear wheel steering).

I could go on & on about the GS-200 controller. I found and uploaded the GS-200 manual for interest & information.
Wayne
Last edited by wmat7039; 11-29-2019 at 09:27 AM. Reason: GS-200 manual upload
Old 11-30-2019, 12:29 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts
Nice Wayne! Thats why I liked the TopRC controller. Gear up/down without having to power the Tx/Rx up and down.

It could be a very worthwhile investment, down the road for me.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 12-09-2019, 03:47 PM
SILVER FOX
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
Heading out of the country to some sunshine in Jamaica, for a week.... Thought I'd drop this here for you "early birds" who need to make arrangements for time off early. I finished the poster and it's now a full go!!

Also, Craig Baker and I will be putting on a F3S Jet/EDF event at Mac Hodges Field in Andersonville GA before the Jet NATS, for those who would like to sharpen up their skills.

Quick Reply