Find More Posts by Henry Piorun
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,329 Posts
Help!
"100cc" Electric set up...

Hi
Question for people who know way more about a set up like this than I do.
I'm wanting to build a 100cc size IMAC airplane, probably the Jtec 2.7m Extra 300, and have it be electric. I currently fly an electric pattern airplane so I'm familiar with those but these bigger set ups are still a bit of a mystery to me. Idealy I want it to have tons of power and be able to fly at least two complete advanced squences without being rushed and have enough left for a few extra practice maneuvers.
My thoughts currently are to go with a Hacker A150 size motor, Jeti spin pro 300 esc and a 8000mah 12s pack.
Any thoughts on how this would work would be great....Thanks.
Henry Piorun is offline Find More Posts by Henry Piorun
Last edited by Henry Piorun; 03-27-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-27-2018, 03:34 PM
Find More Posts by Surfer Dude
Team Futaba
Antarctica
Joined Jan 2006
597 Posts
I would try and find a pletty setup on 14s.
Surfer Dude is online now Find More Posts by Surfer Dude
Old 03-28-2018, 11:39 AM
Find More Posts by Colton
Now taking maneuver requests!
United States, GA, Smyrna
Joined Mar 2010
2,426 Posts
I was going to suggest 14s also. And I would highly recommend going with an MGM ESC for wider programming capability over the Jeti controllers for motors this size.
Colton is offline Find More Posts by Colton
Old 03-28-2018, 02:03 PM
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,329 Posts
Ok thanks for the input. I had no idea about these controllers, they look really good. Any idea of which one to go with?
Old 03-28-2018, 02:26 PM
Find More Posts by Colton
Now taking maneuver requests!
United States, GA, Smyrna
Joined Mar 2010
2,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Piorun View Post
Ok thanks for the input. I had no idea about these controllers, they look really good. Any idea of which one to go with?
https://www.mgm-controllers.com/airp...eries-pro.html
Colton is offline Find More Posts by Colton
Old 03-28-2018, 02:43 PM
Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
United States, MD, Parkton
Joined Jun 2008
1,247 Posts
Hi Henry, not all ESC's are compatible with Hacker motors. Make sure you check on this before making final decision to purchase.
Based on my experience, your biggest challenge will be to acquire the required flight time to complete two (2) IMAC sequences. This assumes you will be flying in a class more advanced than the Basic Class.
Good Luck, Steve
Flybye Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
Old 03-28-2018, 03:54 PM
Find More Posts by shannah
Orange County CA
Joined Jan 2006
261 Posts
I've been considering doing something similar and getting a 100cc sized electric going. I have been looking at the Pletty Predator and running it on 15s ~12000mah (6 5s 5800 packs, which would be using what I already have for pattern). I think the Jeti's can run 15S even though they are listed as 14S, at least that is according to some things I've read on other forums.
shannah is offline Find More Posts by shannah
Old 03-28-2018, 05:51 PM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,556 Posts
The higher cell count in series is the only way you'll get the current draw down low enough to get the duration you want.. 15s should be good on the Jeti, but they'll throw the disclaimer in there if you smoke it..
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker
Old 03-28-2018, 06:30 PM
Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,195 Posts
Jason Noll's electrified AW 20-300 with a Plettenberg Predator 37/6, 300amp Schultze ESC and 14S batteries wouldn't get more than 7 to 8 minutes into his IMAC flight before he would have to land, and since he wouldn't be allowed to change out batteries and finish his routine I ended up buying it from him
Hinckley Bill is offline Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Old 03-28-2018, 06:51 PM
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,329 Posts
Hmm...all good info. The more I look into this the more problems there seem to be. Maybe there's a reason you don't see more "100cc" electrics, lol. Still, it would be really cool if you could figure it all out and make it work. That MGM controller can handle 15s it says. That's something I had not considered, I have lots of 5s packs for the pattern planes...
Old 03-28-2018, 07:53 PM
Find More Posts by Deckeriv
Luv Pattern
United States, TX, League City
Joined Apr 2016
43 Posts
Henry, I ran a 40% electric set up and it worked great. The plane was a Hanger 9 Sukhoi 3.1m. The system was a Hacker A200-8 (15,000 watt...20 hp) with Jeti 220 optispin and an emcotec safety switch. 32x18 Menz prop and True Turn hub due to the size of the prop hub instead of a spinner. I ran four 7s packs in 14s2p configuration. Was really only good for 7-8 minutes but at 38 pounds I could have easily added another set of 7s batteries to run a little past 10 minutes in 14s3p. There are plenty of youtube videos of 40% planes with electric setup. The only real disadvantage are the flight times. I bought Zippy Compact 7s 5,800 mah batteries and they were about $60 each so the price wasn't too bad. I had three sets so I could get in fairly quick flights. Used two iCharger 308 duos to charge four at a time. With the 32x18 I was running about 180 amps in extended verticals. I sold the plane to a gas guy so I still have the electric system and is for sale here on FG. If you have any questions PM me and I'd be glad to help.
Deckeriv is offline Find More Posts by Deckeriv
Old 03-29-2018, 07:53 AM
Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
United States, MD, Parkton
Joined Jun 2008
1,247 Posts
Time/one round

Hi Henry, I'm speaking from my experience when I set up a 93" Laser with a Hacker motor and Jeti 200 amp esc.
An Intermediate sequence took me just over
4 minutes so for one round, that's approaching 9 minutes for a two sequence round.
At some events, you are required to take off and start circling prior to entering the sequence.
You may also have to go around an extra turn when landing.
Realistically, you need a minimum of 11 minutes of flight time to be safe.
I could only get 8minutes of flight time with the Laser before the excess weight of additional batteries began to have a major adverse effect on performance.
I think you can get a good electric set-up for events (like the Nat's) that are flying one sequence rounds and I think we're beginning to see more of them throughout the regions.
Flybye Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
Old 03-29-2018, 09:11 AM
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
I think the best option for anyone in this position would be to build two planes

Build the Jtec, they look like a real enjoyable build. Fly it with a gasser...

Also assemble a 3DHS 95" Electric Extra. Mine is on the bench and hasn't yet flown but people are saying it is capable of 2 routines, 8+ min flight time on 12s8000mah.
Vapor Trails is offline Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Old 03-29-2018, 09:45 AM
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,329 Posts
Yeah, it's a lot to think about. It's starting to look like a high end electric set up is way up there cost wise...to get the flight times I want anyway. I could buy a fuel injected DA120, lol.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:44 AM
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,329 Posts
I appreciate all the comments, lots of good info. So here is my thinking now.
Hacker A150 motor or equivalent.
Super fancy MGM speed controller https://www.mgm-controllers.com/airp...eries-pro.html
2 packs consisting of: 3 6000mah 5S packs hooked in series 55.5 volts. For a total of 15s 12000mah.
Would this set up not give you at least 12 minutes of flying time without taxing the batteries to much. You could even up the mah to 7000 for a total of 14000mah. That would do it wouldn't it?
Any input on this...

Quick Reply