logo
Old 06-08-2019, 01:00 PM
Find More Posts by crash-n-burn
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Feb 2008
2,072 Posts
Discussion
COMP ARF Pitts S-12 Questions

I am considering getting the Pitts S12. I have a few questions regarding the kit if anyone has experience with it.

1. What engine to chose ? I love the Moki 250 but I know its heavy and produces less power. For less money I can get a DA 200L . My other concern with the Moki is maintenance. Is it a difficult engine to keep up, does it require a lot of maintenance ? Never owned a Radial before. Also I seem to remember seeing someone put a Moki 300 on a CARF pitts.

2. How about the flying wires ? I heard that Hans at Aeroscale used to make upgraded flying wires. He had a website at one point but looks like its down now. Any sources for the "better flying wires" ?

3. Any known issues with this kit production or quality control ? I have never owned a CARF before.

Thanks
crash-n-burn is offline Find More Posts by crash-n-burn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-08-2019, 01:19 PM
Find More Posts by kjkimball
Florida
Joined May 2006
621 Posts
Looks like Hans website is still working. At least it did for me.
http://www.flying-wires.ch/flying-wi...ospect_en.html
kjkimball is online now Find More Posts by kjkimball
Old 06-08-2019, 02:31 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkimball View Post
Looks like Hans website is still working. At least it did for me.
http://www.flying-wires.ch/flying-wi...ospect_en.html
Ahhh awesome I had an old link for a FG thread.

TY !
Old 06-08-2019, 03:36 PM
Find More Posts by Hammerman
DA isn't Haulin it? It Drags
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2006
2,459 Posts
Definitely will have more performance with DA200 than the Moki 250. I had the Carf Pitts S12, and at first I installed the DA200 with a KS-95 canister rear exit exhaust and had to use the short drop DA headers for them to fit. I did install the Moki 250 on it but lost some performance. It has a very sound though. There is a build thread her on FG that will show you how to modify the top on the fuse at the nose to make a removable front section to gain access to the valve lash adjusters for maintenance on the lash without having to pull the engine each time to adjust them.
Hammerman is offline Find More Posts by Hammerman
Old 06-08-2019, 06:45 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,072 Posts
Thanks ill look for that. How often do u have to adjust the lash on the Moki ?
Old 06-08-2019, 10:09 PM
Find More Posts by Hammerman
DA isn't Haulin it? It Drags
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2006
2,459 Posts
When I first purchased mine, I was instructed to check every 5-7 flights and adjust if needed. Also was told that after some time things begin to seat and the adjustments become less often. With the Moki radials and with an open valve train it's important to lube the rockers and pivot points each time you fly. Not trying to discourage you about the Moki, it's a great engine, mine will be going in a Carf Corsair soon. I have the 250, I don't know how much more power the 300 has.
Hammerman is offline Find More Posts by Hammerman
Old 06-09-2019, 07:25 AM
Find More Posts by dshriver
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Oct 2014
1,084 Posts
I've seen this plane fly on the Moki and on a DLE 170 and a DA 200. The Moki sounds and looks amazing. If you are after big sky, scale aerobatics, with scale power then the Moki is a good choice. However, you loose a lot of performance to get that Moki sound. The plane flys much heavier and lacks power compared to the two strokes. I've always wanted a Moki, but I would rather have one on a plane that doesn't need high performance. Its a wonderful engine for a Stearman or a Waco or a Corsair or a P47. For the CARF Pitts I think I'd go with a DA-200. I might also consider a ZDZ 195 or 3W 210 red head.
dshriver is offline Find More Posts by dshriver
Old 06-09-2019, 07:53 AM
Joined Feb 2008
2,072 Posts
Thanks, I love that Moki sound and it looks amazing in the cowl. I am used to extras and yaks and don't particularly enjoy high wing loading aircraft. I like to get down low especially with smoke on and I am worried that I would get "board" with the aircraft's performance on the Moki.

Found this video of the S12 with a Moki, the landing is not great, you can see the wing rock / high wing loading as its coming in.

PITTS M-12 PYTHON HUGE RC SCALE MODEL FLIGHT WITH FAILED LANDING / Pitts Meeting Vechta Germany 2016 (5 min 57 sec)
Old 06-09-2019, 11:06 AM
Find More Posts by acerc
United States, FL, Center Hill
Joined Jul 2014
2,087 Posts
If your looking for that four stroke sound but without the weight of the Moki I would suggest the Valach 210/280 boxer or their 250 radial. They are fantastic motors, turn in the mid 6K rpm range, swing a big prop, and have enclosed valve trains.
acerc is offline Find More Posts by acerc
Last edited by acerc; 06-09-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:24 AM
Find More Posts by Billy Bunter
Joined Apr 2008
88 Posts
Crash & Burn,

Earlier this year I ordered a CARF Pitts 12 in a custom British flag scheme. Its should arrive here in the UK week after next.

My hanger currently has five composite 40%ers in it from CARF and Krill, all highly strung aerobatic monoplanes with 4-cylinder engines in them (apart from one with a ZDZ180). So, when I ordered the Pitts I did it because I wanted something different. A biplane with a big radial in it seemed like the way to go....

I decided that I'd fit a Moki 300 to the model. I know it not going to give the ballistic performance I could get with a big two stroke and the finished Pitts will weigh a bit more, but the idea of a big radial with the noise it gives has its own attraction.

I was in contact with a few Pitts owners and the feedback I got was that the model runs out of steam through big aeros when running the Moki 250. But, its able to keep going with the 300. That said, it won't be a 3D machine with the 300, though for me this is OK, as I have other aircraft to satisfy that side of flying.

How soon are you looking at going ahead with this? I plan to try and get the Pitts flying for the end of July. So, by then I should be able to give you some proper feedback on the performance with this engine, which may help you make a final decision.

I have ordered the flying wires from Hans in Switzerland and dealing with him was a good experience. Attached are a few images of the flying wires and of my airframe, taken in Thailand before the model shipped out on a container to Germany.

I hope this helps?

B.
Billy Bunter is offline Find More Posts by Billy Bunter
Last edited by Billy Bunter; 06-09-2019 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Correcting typos!
Old 06-09-2019, 11:52 AM
Joined Feb 2008
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerc View Post
If your looking for that four stroke sound but without the weight of the Moki I would suggest the Valach 210/280 boxer or their 250 radial. They are fantastic motors, turn in the mid 6K rpm range, swing a big prop, and have enclosed valve trains.
Thanks, those motors are a work of art. The 280 sounds amazing.

Pitts S-1S mit richtig viel 4-Taktpower (2 min 30 sec)
Old 06-09-2019, 11:54 AM
Joined Feb 2008
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bunter View Post
Crash & Burn,

Earlier this year I ordered a CARF Pitts 12 in a custom British flag scheme. Its should arrive here in the UK week after next.

My hanger currently has five composite 40%ers in it from CARF and Krill, all highly strung aerobatic monoplanes with 4-cylinder engines in them (apart from one with a ZDZ180). So, when I ordered the Pitts I did it because I wanted something different. A biplane with a big radial in it seemed like the way to go....

I decided that I'd fit a Moki 300 to the model. I know it not going to give the ballistic performance I could get with a big two stroke and the finished Pitts will weigh a bit more, but the idea of a big radial with the noise it gives has its own attraction.

I was in contact with a few Pitts owners and the feedback I got was that the model runs out of steam through big aeros when running the Moki 250. But, its able to keep going with the 300. That said, it won't be a 3D machine with the 300, though for me this is OK, as I have other aircraft to satisfy that side of flying.

How soon are you looking at going ahead with this? I plan to try and get the Pitts flying for the end of July. So, by then I should be able to give you some proper feedback on the performance with this engine, which may help you make a final decision.

I have ordered the flying wires from Hans in Switzerland and dealing with him was a good experience. Attached are a few images of the flying wires and of my airframe, taken in Thailand before the model shipped out on a container to Germany.

I hope this helps?

B.

I am a few months out from ordering and CARF told me the wait time to get the plans is 12-16 weeks, I am sure you will be done before I have the plane. I will be interested to see it with the Moki 300. The British flag scheme looks great !

Maybe I will hit them up for a custom scheme although I really like the look of the Pitts python.

How much did they charge you for the custom paint ?

TY
Old 06-11-2019, 06:25 AM
Joined Apr 2008
88 Posts
Crash & Burn,

It cost me an extra couple of hundred EUROS over and above the cost for the model with the stars and bars scheme. I know the cost for the custom schemes can vary though, depending upon how complex they are.

B.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:04 PM
Joined Apr 2008
88 Posts
So, I've been able to put the Pitts 12 together quite rapidly and here are a few images.

The Moki 300 is a big lump of engine, and so I found myself having to put the RX LiPo packs in the tail to get the right CofG.

AUW is about 23.5kg

Hope to fly this in a couple of weeks time. Will post an update then.

B.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by RAMJETT
nobel ont
Joined Mar 2009
61 Posts
I picked up the valach 250 r from Toni Clark and installed it in my 1/3 sterman build . I have not finished the break in yet but the engine has a strange vibration from the first start up ,like the prop is out of balance . lots of power and starts first flip every time hot or cold . but the vibration has me a bit worried .. Lighter props make it vibrate less . I checked the valves a few times and they are good . the compression is 160 /150/140 / 135 /130 PSI I don't like that spread . I am thinking the engine is vibrating because it's out of power balance and may just need more break in. I contacted Gerhard but have not gotten a reply yet . any Ideas guys ...

Valach 250 radial , 1/3 Stearman maiden flight (7 min 16 sec)
RAMJETT is offline Find More Posts by RAMJETT
Last edited by RAMJETT; 09-03-2019 at 04:32 PM.

Quick Reply