logo
Old 06-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Find More Posts by Smacka
United States, PA, Ridgway
Joined Jun 2008
2,571 Posts
Giant Scale Servos???

Good Morning Flying Giants!
Boy oh boy, I can sure use some help here. I am researching what electronics to install into my 1/3 scale Matt Chapman Cap 580, and the manual calls for two giant scale servos for the rudder. I understand from my reaserch thus far that the giant scale servos are a tad larger in size than the standard servo bodies. Almost all of the servos I have found are standard bodied servos ~1.5"x.8"x1.5" (roughly).

Can someone please recommend a quality giant scale servo for this application? The manual suggests a minimum in/oz rating of 150. I would really prefer somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 in/oz + each. I do not care about the cost...it is the absolute quality I am after (not meant to sound smug in the least).

I am going to build this plane over the winter of 2008/2009 but want to complete my research well ahead of time (excited!). I have all of the electronics, except for the servos. I plan to use JR DS8411's for the 2-elevators and 4-ailerons. I plan to "matchbox" the aileron and rudder servos so I can set the null and end points dead on target with each other. This will also free up a couple of channels for choke and smoke applications. I have an AR9100 dual battery input receiver.

Suggestions?

Thank you!
Smacka
Smacka is offline Find More Posts by Smacka
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Find More Posts by Simpleton
That Was a Close Shave!
USA
Joined Oct 2006
660 Posts
Re: Giant Scale Servos???

You don't need 2 giant sized 200 oz servos on the rudder, just slap a single 8711 on there and go to town.
Simpleton is offline Find More Posts by Simpleton
Old 06-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Joined Jun 2008
2,571 Posts

Will one servo handle the shock loads?

Thank you for your help!
Smacka
Old 06-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Find More Posts by TheTank
I created FG! Bitch!
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jan 2006
10,655 Posts

One 8711 will be adequate for that airplane. Way more torque than even two old school giant scale servos.
TheTank is offline Find More Posts by TheTank
Old 06-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Joined Jun 2008
2,571 Posts

Thanks Guys!!!
Smacka
Old 06-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2006
3,408 Posts

1 8711 will work just fine. I am using one in my 102" QQ Yak 54. Have 300+ flights on it with 1 8711 servo. No problems at all.

Seth
3D-Seth is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Old 06-27-2008, 11:45 AM
Find More Posts by 3dav8r
Fly it like you stole it !
United States, CA, Salinas
Joined Jan 2006
291 Posts

How are the gear trains holding up on the new 8711s ? On the older JR servos I could only get 50-60 flights and they were shot.
3dav8r is offline Find More Posts by 3dav8r
Old 06-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Find More Posts by Vic3D
Suspended Account
Puerto Rico, Caguas, Caguas
Joined Jan 2006
5,011 Posts

Go for 2 7955 Hitecs... Or you can go with the JR if you don't mind a sloppy servo after a dozen flights or so.
Vic3D is offline Find More Posts by Vic3D
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 06-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Find More Posts by AllBread
Doo It! Doo It!
Joined Dec 2007
270 Posts

I love one servos and hate all the other ones. I just can't remember which one it is that I like right now.
AllBread is offline Find More Posts by AllBread
Old 06-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Joined Jun 2008
2,571 Posts

To All:
Good afternoon. I hope all of you are gearing up for what turns out to be a great weekend, no matter what you have planned.

Let me put another spin on my question...

I like the thought of using Hitec servos, especially the HS-7955 Titanium Gear. I would buy the new programmer to take advantage of the new software abilities.

Here are a couple of random thoughts:
1) I was originally thinking of JR's because I could matchbox the servos and use just one channel for the rudder, elevator and aileron. The matchbox would do the prgramming for null and end points.

2) I have a JR X9303 2.4 GHz radio (9-channels). If I use Hitecs (HS-7955TG's all the way around) I would need 2-rudder, 2-elevator and 4-aileron. WIth a throttle servo, all 9-channels are used. Would this create a radio programming nightmare?

3) If I use Hitecs, can I "Y-harness" each flight surface and end up only using 1-rudder, 1-elevator and 2-aileron channels (two because there are 2-aileron servos per wing)??? The programmer will "match" all of the servos prior to installation. I would have to "fine tune" the end points to get my high rates.

I am trying to figure out a way to save channels for possible automatic choke and smoke applications.

As always, I look forward to your input. You all have been a great help!!

Thank you,
Smacka
Old 06-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Find More Posts by TazmanianDevil
No Guts No Glory!
United States, TN, Toone
Joined Jan 2006
1,717 Posts

Hi Smacka...

Here are a couple of random thoughts:
1) I was originally thinking of JR's because I could matchbox the servos and use just one channel for the rudder, elevator and aileron. The matchbox would do the programming for null and end points.
Well you can do it with the Hitec too, i think that you could use 1 5995 TG for the rudder, 2 for each aileron and 1 for each elevator, you can use a programmer, or if you want an inboard power system you can use the smart fly or any other that have a synchronizer built in.
2) I have a JR X9303 2.4 GHz radio (9-channels). If I use Hitecs (HS-7955TG's all the way around) I would need 2-rudder, 2-elevator and 4-aileron. WIth a throttle servo, all 9-channels are used. Would this create a radio programming nightmare?
Not if you will use a power system, but as i told you before, you can use 1 5995 for the rudder and the elevator and 2 for each aileron, this way you can "save" one servo, i really think that a programmer or a power system can help you and not making the servo assembling like a nightmare.
3) If I use Hitecs, can I "Y-harness" each flight surface and end up only using 1-rudder, 1-elevator and 2-aileron channels (two because there are 2-aileron servos per wing)??? The programmer will "match" all of the servos prior to installation. I would have to "fine tune" the end points to get my high rates.
I dont think that it will help, since the servos wont be synchronised with each other, well before the time of the programmers and the power systems you used to do that, but it took like a week! all done in a mechanical way and allot of trigonometry in order for the servos to be aligned with one another and not to fight on another. its like me telling you today "why dont you ride on a horse to the next country", when you can really fly there.
I am trying to figure out a way to save channels for possible automatic choke and smoke applications.
See above...:-)
TazmanianDevil is offline Find More Posts by TazmanianDevil
Old 06-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Joined Jan 2006
3,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic3D View Post
Go for 2 7955 Hitecs... Or you can go with the JR if you don't mind a sloppy servo after a dozen flights or so.
Ive got 300+ flights on my 8711 on rudder, and I have one in each elevator of my Yak too. They havent gotten sloppy at all . . .

Seth
Old 06-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Joined Jan 2006
3,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
I love one servos and hate all the other ones. I just can't remember which one it is that I like right now.

I think most brands are great, just some people have had better experiences than others with certain equipment.

Seth
Old 06-27-2008, 10:13 PM
Find More Posts by Vic3D
Suspended Account
Puerto Rico, Caguas, Caguas
Joined Jan 2006
5,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Seth View Post
Ive got 300+ flights on my 8711 on rudder, and I have one in each elevator of my Yak too. They havent gotten sloppy at all . . .

Seth
Lucky man!!
Vic3D is offline Find More Posts by Vic3D
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 06-27-2008, 11:49 PM
Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Hero to the masses
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Sep 2006
4,194 Posts

Vic what experience do you have with the 8711?
Flyfalcons is offline Find More Posts by Flyfalcons

Quick Reply