logo
Old 01-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Find More Posts by N726AC
Seven.Four Liters
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Sep 2006
7,528 Posts
Holy Cow !

I was flying into an area airport today and heard on the radio another airplane in distress. I broke off my approach and started searching. Sure enough, there was a C-150 in a small pasture, intact and no ground scars. The pilot was on the radio and was just fine. I circled the site for about ten minutes until people started showing up. He did a great job with a forced landing,, it was a tiny spot to land. Not sure what the problem was, but glad he was OK!
N726AC is offline Find More Posts by N726AC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Find More Posts by Road Builder
Uber Contributor
Oswego, IL
Joined Jan 2006
674 Posts
Re: Holy Cow !

He is lucky. Not to many "great" places to force land down there. Guess that's why I fly a twin.

Jay
Road Builder is offline Find More Posts by Road Builder
Old 04-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Find More Posts by wiz310
Joined Dec 2006
360 Posts

Yeah, nothing like getting to the crash site as fast as possible with that extra engine. Of course, you don't have to worry about blue lines and red lines on the bottom of the ASI in a single either. you really wanna scare your self, go high and feather one and then crawl into VMCA...... singles look pretty good after that.
wiz310 is offline Find More Posts by wiz310
Old 05-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Seven.Four Liters
Joined Sep 2006
7,528 Posts

I later heard that the pilot got a little,,,,,um,,GAS and tried to fly the plane out of there. It got tripped up on a rut and fliped onto its back. I guess he was determined to break that airplane.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Find More Posts by CSpaced
Team PAU
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jul 2006
4,903 Posts

Now thats irony right there..
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
Old 05-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Find More Posts by Thomas_W
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2008
813 Posts

Wonder if he got the hint he needed to stop flying for the day after that? As soon as i saw the first line of this post, i thought "has to be in lower central florida". Sure enough... Seems like every time i go throught miami centers airspace i always get screwed by ATC. This last time was 1:35 yes. 1 HOUR AND 35 MINUTES of "delays" for no reason. Ended up w/ running the engine dry on the left side and after declaring priority handling they still refused to give us direct to the airport (FXE). Good thing a kingair 90 flies well on one engine. lol
Thomas_W is offline Find More Posts by Thomas_W
Old 05-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Find More Posts by 777drvr
Joined Mar 2008
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_W View Post
Wonder if he got the hint he needed to stop flying for the day after that? As soon as i saw the first line of this post, i thought "has to be in lower central florida". Sure enough... Seems like every time i go throught miami centers airspace i always get screwed by ATC. This last time was 1:35 yes. 1 HOUR AND 35 MINUTES of "delays" for no reason. Ended up w/ running the engine dry on the left side and after declaring priority handling they still refused to give us direct to the airport (FXE). Good thing a kingair 90 flies well on one engine. lol
There is so much wrong with this post I don't know where to start !

Marc
777drvr is offline Find More Posts by 777drvr
Old 05-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Hero to the masses
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Sep 2006
4,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777drvr View Post

Marc
That's what I thought too. Remind me not to fly on any King Air 90s for a while.
Flyfalcons is offline Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Old 05-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Joined Mar 2008
813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777drvr View Post

Marc

hahaha... yea, seems like the guys i fly with always come back w/ great stories after we fly thru southern florida.. i hate miami center
Old 05-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Hero to the masses
Joined Sep 2006
4,194 Posts

That's not a great story, that's sh-tty piloting.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:13 PM
Seven.Four Liters
Joined Sep 2006
7,528 Posts

Got my pop-corn.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:14 PM
Find More Posts by 777drvr
Joined Mar 2008
16 Posts

WOW ! He still doesn't " get it " !

Marc
777drvr is offline Find More Posts by 777drvr
Old 05-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Find More Posts by JohnVH
SnapShot
Joined Feb 2006
2,386 Posts

subscribing for the show...
JohnVH is offline Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old 05-31-2008, 11:00 AM
Joined Mar 2008
813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfalcons View Post
That's not a great story, that's sh-tty piloting.
Ok.. first off, you weren't their for any of the flight. And yes, we (2 pilot crew, me as FO) should have made an announcement sooner about the issue (which ended up being a mx issue caused b/c of the fuel transfer system being inop and the test procedure not testing all of the components in the system). yall are acting like you've never done anything stupid or could have done something better. Dont give me that BS, b/c their is always something in aviation as pilots that you could of done better. And until you find yourself in a situation such as this, you dont know how your going to react. The way our fuel transfer system works, is it only tells you when its NOT transferring the last 28 gallons of fuel from the inboard wing tank to the main nacalle tank. Well, when the test procedure only tests the fuel pump and pressure switch all you know is that the pump and pressure switch as working. It doesn't test the transfer system fuel probe which tells the transfer pump when to turn on and off. So to add more fuel to the fire for you guys i'll go more into detail on the flight...

As we reached about the Jax area of florida our "no fuel transfer" light Illuminated on the right side. We took this as we had a slight fuel imbalance (as the gauges were showing more fuel on the left side as well, more on this later). After checking the gauges, our times, the fuel flows (left engine was burning approx. 50lbs/hour less than the right) we decided to activate the fuel crossfeed function until the "no fuel transfer" light illuminated on the left side telling us that our fuel imbalance was now corrected (remember during the pre-flight the transfer system checked good). Well after 20 minutes (now i believe we were just south of cocoa beach area) we started to get "moved" around by atc. During all of this, they tried 3 times to divert us over 100miles out of the way b/c of "weather" at our altitude, but yet they wouldn't let us climb nor descend (yet). anyways, approx. 30-40 minutes of getting delayed by atc and them attempting to re-route us we both had forgotten we were still on cross-feed and about that time i mentioned that it had been "a long time" since we initiated manual cross-feed and the light had still not illuminated and i thought we should go back to normal, as something didn't seem right. About 10-20 minutes after that i believe is when the left engine flamed out.
The following day, we began troubleshooting (we are both A&P's as well) the issue of why we still had the 28gallons of use-able fuel left in the left inboard wing tank (wing tanks are aux's and nacalle's are our mains), since the transfer system tested fine before the flight and AFTER the flight. Long story short, after about 5 hours, we came to the conclusion that the fuel transfer system probe was defective and was not telling the fuel transfer pump to come on when the nacalle tanks reached 10gallons low. Once we installed the new probe, the transfer pump began pumping our 28 gallons into the nacalle tanks like it should.
So yea, there are things we could and should of done different, but the long day (it was going on 14+ hours for both of us) along with the atc delays, weather, etc. all played a factor in us getting side tracked. Granted, i can probly gaurantee none of yall would do the jobs we do for what little we get payed for.

and yea I "do" get it. but it is still IMO that miami center doesn't give a **** about you unless your a jet.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:45 AM
Hero to the masses
Joined Sep 2006
4,194 Posts

So you screwed up. Man up and admit it, don't put your mistakes on ATC. Your fuel gauges worked didn't they? Less than 30 minutes of fuel remaining on either engine, that's emergency time.

Yes I've paid my dues in aviation just like you are now.

Quick Reply