logo
Old 06-11-2007, 02:48 AM
Find More Posts by warren79
Joined Jun 2007
36 Posts
Re: Giants From South Africa

Hi Jason,I got a chance to fly with the other 2cell 800mah yesterday.Plane fly's really good with it.Very light,very predictable(really flys nice),but short flight time,I think roughly 7-8 mins 3D,probably 12-15 mins max normal flying....I bought it friday and flew it yesterday straight out the packaging without charging it.Ill see tonight at the Veledrome how it goes after a full charge.
warren79 is offline Find More Posts by warren79
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-11-2007, 03:20 AM
Find More Posts by driesbabe
Namibia
Joined Jun 2006
652 Posts

The engine was put on a test stand yesterday and the first attempt was made to start it (very tight)
It popped first time after about 7 flicks of the prop, and then nothing...... We got an electric drill out to turn it then, and after a couple of turns the engine was running.
Smooth as silk, no vibration, no backfiring and no hiccups. It immediately fired on both cylinders and was purring away. Much more than that I can’t tell you. It was left on the stand running a bit rich on low end for an entire Tank just above idle at about 2500RPM.......no hiccups. It was left to cool down.
And hand started (5 flips) for a second tank of running in. The only prop that was available was a Zinger Pro 22X8 (a bit small for a 90 cc)
As The engine is so new, no stress tests were carried out, all I can say that the engine accelerates extremely fast, but that was to be expected with a prop so small, although the carbs were nowhere near properly set.
Engine dimensions are: 27cm long, from prop hub to rear of engine and about 30cm from plug to plug.
Here are some more pictures also with the engine running I have no idea why the prop looks like it dose in the pictures....all photos were taken by Cellphone.
Enloy.
Regards
Andreas
driesbabe is offline Find More Posts by driesbabe
Last edited by driesbabe; 06-11-2007 at 03:52 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:06 AM
Find More Posts by saflyer
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2006
915 Posts

Andreas

The prop looks like that because the picture was taken with a slow CCD device. The photo cells get read in scan lines over a period of time. If you have a fast camera you will still see the prop but it will look bent all out of shape.

Well done on getting the motor going. Are you going to get it converted into a single carb setup?

Peter
saflyer is offline Find More Posts by saflyer
Old 06-11-2007, 04:48 AM
Find More Posts by driesbabe
Namibia
Joined Jun 2006
652 Posts

Hi Peter,

Yes, we are just waiting for the Carb, then the engine will be converted to one carb. Much easier to tune.
Andreas
driesbabe is offline Find More Posts by driesbabe
Old 06-11-2007, 06:04 AM
Find More Posts by damien
In Thrust We Trust
Cape Town South Africa
Joined Jan 2006
367 Posts

Gus - Nice plane, those epp planes are always fun to fly. Damion has the blade dancer and it has taken massive amounts of abuse but it still keeps on going.

Sprice50 - That Aeroworks 260 is sweet. Keep us posted

driesbabe - That motor is amazing. Good job!
damien is offline Find More Posts by damien
Old 06-11-2007, 06:25 AM
Find More Posts by warren79
Joined Jun 2007
36 Posts

D how did the tensor maiden go yesterday....
warren79 is offline Find More Posts by warren79
Old 06-11-2007, 06:36 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Cape Town South Africa
Joined Jan 2006
367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren79 View Post
D how did the tensor maiden go yesterday....
You can ask Damion tonight at the veledrome
Old 06-11-2007, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by Gus155
Kommetjie Cape Town South Africa
Joined Jan 2006
976 Posts

[quote=damien;249549]Gus - Nice plane, those epp planes are always fun to fly. Damion has the blade dancer and it has taken massive amounts of abuse but it still keeps on going.

I think its the same as the blade dancer, not badly priced too.
Like the way they fly, but more the fact thae the epp can handle loads of abuse, and with the airfoiled wing, they fly better than a "FLATTIE".
Enjoy the indoor tonight. Got a Slope club committee meeting in Fish Hoek tonight, tried to get it moved to the velodrome , but no such luck
Gus155 is offline Find More Posts by Gus155
Old 06-11-2007, 10:20 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Cape Town South Africa
Joined Jan 2006
367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus155 View Post
Got a Slope club committee meeting in Fish Hoek tonight, tried to get it moved to the velodrome , but no such luck
Hehehe, nice try, it is a real long drive from kommetjie i suppose that put them off a bit. Yea, the boom looks the same as the blade dancer although from that picture it looks like it has a shorter tail moment. That is a good thing, should fly even better than the b-dancer.

Warren, trev, J - see you all later.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Find More Posts by steven
Joined Mar 2006
112 Posts

hey guys

my 2.3 comp ARF extra 330 L had its maiden flight yesterday.

all i have to say this is one of the best planes i have ever built and flown. i didnt have to trim a single thing on the first flight. no 3d yet we are still running the motor in but soon. there is plenty of power as it is but i will wait until the motor is run in. all up weight on the plane is 18.4 pounds.

cant wait to get to the club on saturday and sunday. we got about 7 flights in

steve
steven is offline Find More Posts by steven
Old 06-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Joined Jan 2006
976 Posts

Nice steven. Very nice. I want one.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:57 AM
Find More Posts by 3D-Boogy
Flyin' 3D Flyin' low
Pretoria, South Africa
Joined Jan 2006
172 Posts

Quote:
hey guys

all i have to say this is one of the best planes i have ever built and flown. i didnt have to trim a single thing on the first flight. no 3d yet we are still running the motor in but soon. there is plenty of power as it is but i will wait until the motor is run in. all up weight on the plane is 18.4 pounds.

steve
Very nice Steve, looking good.
Congrats on the maiden, you did a prestine job.
I cant wait to get my 2.6 Comp Extra in the air as well, but first need to finish my cap for this weekend.
3D-Boogy is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Boogy
Old 06-12-2007, 01:21 AM
Find More Posts by bluesmancoops
South Africa
Joined Mar 2007
182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
hey guys

steve

Hey Steve - it looks totally awesome - well done
bluesmancoops is offline Find More Posts by bluesmancoops
Old 06-12-2007, 01:41 AM
Joined Jan 2006
976 Posts

From CFC regarding Oudtshoorn:

Oudtshoorn Scale 2007 is around the corner and we are in the final stages of planning and we have the great pleasure to invite all of you to come and join us at this great event from 20 – 24 of September 2007.

This year we will be attempting what some might say is impossible but that is the Cango Flying Club spirit. We have received permission from Guinness to attempt a world record for the Guinness Book of Records for the most Radio Controlled Scale planes in the air at once. We received confirmation two weeks ago and fear that we will not reach everybody in time through the July/August issue of SAMAA magazine.

We would like all of you that are willing to take part in this event to book your spot through Hekkie Fourie as soon as possible. We want to accommodate as many pilots as possible and want to allocate alternative spot/frequencies if necessary. The sooner you confirm with him the better your chance of securing your spot/frequency and also state the type of plane so we can plan the flight line groupings and circuits accordingly. If you are not interested in this attempt but know of someone who might be, please spread the word in you respective clubs, neighbourhood, town, city or nearest illegal park flyer site!! LOL

This attempt will only be possible with your assistance so please respond as soon as possible. Every pilot will receive a Guinness certificate stating his/her participation in this record attempt, this will be a once-off opportunity so act quickly. The attempt will take place right after the Sunday Church hour as not to interfere with the weekend's general flying!!!

To book your spot/frequency mail Hekkie Fourie at hekkief@xsinet.co.za and any additional questions can be directed to Arenhold Hooper at arenhold@mweb.co.za or Fanie Fourie at rcskydive-sa@webmail.co.za

General entry forms for Oudtshoorn Scale will be available on our website from next week onwards: http://www.cangoflyingclub.za.net/

Regards,
Fanie Fourie
Old 06-12-2007, 01:43 AM
Find More Posts by RV-8
Love all wings
South Africa
Joined Jun 2006
91 Posts

Hi Steven

Wow looks awesome, I see you also fly up on the reef. I just bought the comp arf yak 55 sp from aerial concepts, what engine do you have in your extra. My small extra has a DA 50 and I was so impressed I bought a DA 100 for the Yak, do you think the 100 will be enough for 3D flying, I will be primarily flying competition but who can resist coming down low for a nice torque roll.
I got back into competition last year at the TOC at RMAC and came first is Sportsmen, want to move up a class so I have been furiously practiseing the three roll rolling circle, at the moment it looks like a wild 3D manouver instead of a precise controlled manouver.

Hope to meet you at the next comp.
RV-8 is offline Find More Posts by RV-8

Quick Reply