Old 10-13-2019, 08:47 AM
Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Electric Powered!
United States, GA, Buchanan
Joined Jan 2008
829 Posts
Discussion
temps changed, its cooler now and DA50 running driffrent

so went to fly yesterday first time since its gotten cooler in GA and my DA50 was hesitation going from low to high.. I thought it was fine on fast idle and after doing a spin at low throttle and going back to WOT it quit on me, had to do a dead stick. didn't quite make it back to the field, just bend the gear a lil

anyhow since it did this witch way should i tune the needle and low or high end?

last time and all the times ive flown it its been 80+ weather and sunny, yesterday the temps were in the 60s-low 70s and windy and cloudy.

Thanks
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-13-2019, 09:42 AM
Find More Posts by bmclaughlin
United States, TX, Allen
Joined Mar 2008
696 Posts
cooler air is more dense creating a leaner condition (more air/denser air) is now combining with your fuel mix. You now are slightly leaner.

Sounds like a slight richening of the low needle and possibly the high depending on whether you were a little rich on the top you could be just fine now.

I flew yesterday at 50 degrees in TX and last time it was 90+ degrees. Most flyers were just suffering form higher idle speeds as they were slightly rich before. You were likely right on the edge of optimum and are now a little too lean to handle a quick low to high transition.
bmclaughlin is offline Find More Posts by bmclaughlin
Old 10-13-2019, 10:48 AM
Electric Powered!
Joined Jan 2008
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmclaughlin View Post
cooler air is more dense creating a leaner condition (more air/denser air) is now combining with your fuel mix. You now are slightly leaner.

Sounds like a slight richening of the low needle and possibly the high depending on whether you were a little rich on the top you could be just fine now.

I flew yesterday at 50 degrees in TX and last time it was 90+ degrees. Most flyers were just suffering form higher idle speeds as they were slightly rich before. You were likely right on the edge of optimum and are now a little too lean to handle a quick low to high transition.

Thank you for that info. I will give it a try , we have rain now so no flying till end of the week, got a 3 day fly in next weekend.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:03 PM
Find More Posts by Airiley
United States, VA, Lynchburg
Joined Jul 2016
109 Posts
Yep, what was said above. Very common to have to slightly richen the low end with low temps. After a few seconds of running you should be able to bang it wide open and it should throttle up. If not it's too lean on low. We are talking small adjustments, the width of a screwdriver blade. Too rich o. The low end will make it hesitate to throttle up, but it's a different sound. If too rich it will still throttle up but sputter. Too lean will give you a hollow air sucking sound when slamming the throttle.
Airiley is offline Find More Posts by Airiley
Old 10-13-2019, 04:33 PM
Electric Powered!
Joined Jan 2008
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airiley View Post
Yep, what was said above. Very common to have to slightly richen the low end with low temps. After a few seconds of running you should be able to bang it wide open and it should throttle up. If not it's too lean on low. We are talking small adjustments, the width of a screwdriver blade. Too rich o. The low end will make it hesitate to throttle up, but it's a different sound. If too rich it will still throttle up but sputter. Too lean will give you a hollow air sucking sound when slamming the throttle.

Thanks, Maybe the rain will stop long enough in next couple days i can adjust and try it here at the house. I'm lucky to live in country and don't have people who would call the cops at sight/noise of a model plane lol
Old 10-14-2019, 10:45 AM
Electric Powered!
Joined Jan 2008
829 Posts
Well its not raining so i got the bipe out and richen it up some. just small amounts and ended up moving it almost a full quarter before it run right,..

decided to go ahead and get out my 35% Edge 540 with a 3W 106 twin and adjust it but it was running just fine as normal kinda strange one would run so different it been a while since its got flown (bigger and have to put wings on and off Bipe fits in van or trailer fully assembled so it gets flown more) and forgot how much compression it has compared to the DA50.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:09 AM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,787 Posts
Seasonal richening / leaning doesn't usually require that much of a needle change. You might want to inspect the internal carb screen and the diaphragms as it might just be time for some carb maintenance.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 10-21-2019, 07:35 PM
Electric Powered!
Joined Jan 2008
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
Seasonal richening / leaning doesn't usually require that much of a needle change. You might want to inspect the internal carb screen and the diaphragms as it might just be time for some carb maintenance.
I just replaced the diaphragm and gaskets and it doesn't seem like it's running right yet. Not sure what needle I should adjust witch way

Da50 running (0 min 43 sec)

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2019, 04:53 AM
Joined Jul 2016
109 Posts
You have a fast idle going, so a bit hard to tell.
Low end if you ask me. Sounds like it needs to be a tad richer. I think you are on the verge. You can confirm by leaning it a tad and it should not take throttle. Small adjustments on DA50
Old 10-22-2019, 04:55 AM
Joined Jul 2016
109 Posts
Also, let it idle for longer, like 30 seconds, then punch it. What rpm are you idling at ?
Old 10-22-2019, 06:49 AM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,211 Posts
Bring down your idle first, adjust your throttle arm.
JoeT is online now Find More Posts by JoeT
Old 10-22-2019, 08:36 AM
Electric Powered!
Joined Jan 2008
829 Posts
I have a fast idle for flying and a low one for landing. have on a switch.

But okay about the let it idle for 30 secs then punch it.
I have never tach it. don't have a on board one.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:51 AM
Joined Jul 2016
109 Posts
The reason to let it idle for a while is to allow the motor to fully transition to the low speed needle setting. While running wide open the high speed needle is the one doing the bulk of the fuel metering. Therefore your crankcase will be "loaded" with the high speed mix. You need a bit of time for that to burn off and start running off the low speed needle. Low speed needle settings also effect the high speed settings. Not so much the other way around. So for example, if you have a condition where you come off wide open to idle, and at first your idle is fast, but then slows down, that is a condition of a rich low end setting. In this scenario after idling for a while the motor should not have a very snappy transition back to high speed.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:56 AM
Electric Powered!
Joined Jan 2008
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airiley View Post
The reason to let it idle for a while is to allow the motor to fully transition to the low speed needle setting. While running wide open the high speed needle is the one doing the bulk of the fuel metering. Therefore your crankcase will be "loaded" with the high speed mix. You need a bit of time for that to burn off and start running off the low speed needle. Low speed needle settings also effect the high speed settings. Not so much the other way around. So for example, if you have a condition where you come off wide open to idle, and at first your idle is fast, but then slows down, that is a condition of a rich low end setting. In this scenario after idling for a while the motor should not have a very snappy transition back to high speed.

Thanks for the info, I am having issue with going WOT to idle during a snap roll then when going back to wot it wanted to die. happened twice.

Saturday after it died and i landed i re started it and flew again but never went to low throttle till i wanted to land , i always fly with the high idle on. but i will try it on the low idle setting today to see if i can get it better.

I also ordered a new plug for it, its got the original plug in it from what i understand from the guy got it from.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:02 AM
Joined Jul 2016
109 Posts
A new NGK CM6 plug is a good place to start.

Quick Reply