logo
Old 05-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Find More Posts by falconpilot
Patterns Full!!
Arkadelphia, Arkansas
Joined Jan 2006
287 Posts
Brand New Product - GEAR LEGS!!

I've been working on this product for quite sometime now, and after a number of changes, road testing, more changes, more road testing, and I've about got it ready to go to market.

How many of you are using eye hooks and bungey cords to hold down your $6000 -$10000 highend models? My guess is most of you! I have a better, easier, faster, and safer way to restrain your airplanes. Never again worry about how your airplane is riding in the trailer on the way to the field or going on that long over the road fly-in. What's $50-$60 spent for piece of mind knowing that when you get to the field your airplane will be in the exact place it was when you loaded it??

HiAlpha Aviation Hobbies wanted to show the product here on Flying Giants first! I was hoping for feedback, thoughts, comments, and taking some orders for those interested.

The pictures will show two different set of gear legs. The first set's that I designed where made of 1/4" Steel, and had to be lots of welding involved. They are the sets shown below attached to my 42% Extra 260's. Althought they work great, I felt that the weld was a little thin on the top link and after lots of use, they might start cracking at the weld. I took the photo's ofthese set just to show how the Gear Legs are attached, and how they work. Also, with all the welding involved, it was hard to keep the price down in producing them. I wanted to produce a high end product that was very reasonably priced, and I feel that I have.

The final product is the Gear Leg that you see in the pictures. Instead of welding, I went all out and designed a product that has no welds to break or crack. All parts of made of 1/8" steel. This makes for the strongest, lightest product possible. The load of the airplane is divided between both Gear Legs, and the Tail Leg.

The base of the Main Gear Legs is 3" x 6" with 4 1/4" holes to bolt to the floor. The main leg between the base and head is 1" wide and 7" long. The head piece(the piece that attaches or flushes up the the bottom of you gear) is 1" wide x 4" long. The unit swivels 180 degrees at the base plate and the head. This allows the Gear Legs to fit any angle of main gear. Of course, you can mount the Gear Legs at any width to fit any size model. I'll be installing a adhesive back rubber pad on the head of each Gear Leg. Mainly this protects the finish on you gear, but it also provides a good flush, tight non-slip fit. I'm also including high quality double backed Velcro. All you'll need are the bolts or screws to attach the Gear Legs to the floor. The Tail leg is 4" high, with the bend/angle also 4" long. The angle will be bent too around 38-41 degree angle. This angle can be easily adjusted by either heating it a little and then bending, or you can place in a vise, and adjust it that way. I've found by looking at alot of different tail wheels that 40 degree's is a pretty good all around angle. This angle, and the four inch height will keep the tail wheel off the floor by 1-2".

I'll be selling this product as a full set. That's 2-Main Gear Legs, and 1- Tail Leg with everything included expect of the mount hardware to mount the legs to the floor. There are too many different ways here to make everyone happy, so I'll let you choose.

Using the Gear Legs are fast and easy. Roll your airplane in, pull the Gears Legs up to main gear(The Gears pivot 180 degrees so that they lay toward the middle flat on the floor when not in use), place the tail on the Tail Leg, wrap the velcro around the gears, and your ready to go!

I'll have the exact pricing for a full set by the first of next week. I'm still getting everything together to determine the final cost, but I can tell everyone that I'm striving very hard to keep the price right at $50 for the full set.

Please, take a look, and let me know what you think.

Special thanks to John Red of Little Rock for his help with this product!

Jim Fowler
HiAlpha Aviation Hobbies
jsfowler@cei.net
870-230-2350
falconpilot is offline Find More Posts by falconpilot
Last edited by falconpilot; 02-15-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,992 Posts
Re: Brand New Product - GEAR LEGS!!

Evening Jim,

I very much like what I'm seeing.....very innovative, yet simple setup. How soon will you be taking orders???

Bill
Hinckley Bill is online now Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Old 05-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Patterns Full!!
Arkadelphia, Arkansas
Joined Jan 2006
287 Posts

Bill,

Wow! That's fast! Glad to see that my ideal may appeal to people. Hopefully, I'll be ready to ship within two weeks. It all really depends on how fast my shop can get all the jigs finished, and the parts made. They are work full speed for me now. Once all the jigs are finished and a final test run made, we'll be able to product alot of parts very fast!

I painted the Gear Legs in the picture. I plan on painting them all if I can keep the cost down. I realize that alot of people may want to paint their own, so I'm still deciding on that one. I have another company working on a quote for powder coating as well, but right now, they'll be painted or unpainted.

I'll let everyone know ASAP when I'm ready to ship. Should be very soon...

Thanks

Jim Fowler
Old 05-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by wizard
It will fly!!!
Washington, Indiana
Joined Jan 2006
13,374 Posts

Jim, Those are great. After I recover from the Joe Nall I will probably order a set. They would go great on the setup I have for my van.

Thanks for doing the product release here on the FlyingGiants.
wizard is offline Find More Posts by wizard
Old 05-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Find More Posts by TimDavie
Tulsa, OK
Joined Jan 2006
1,184 Posts

Looks Great!
TimDavie is offline Find More Posts by TimDavie
Old 05-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Patterns Full!!
Arkadelphia, Arkansas
Joined Jan 2006
287 Posts

Thanks for the positive comments guys! Wish I could have had them ready for the Nall, but work has kept me covered up lately, and behind on my Gear Legs. It's H#ll when work interrupts the important things like our hobby!!

Jim
Old 05-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Find More Posts by madmax
The Michael Jordan of RC
United States, CA, Aliso Viejo
Joined Jan 2006
22,516 Posts

Very cool Jim!!! Simplicity at it's best!! I see everything from foam chunks to just letting tailwheel's bounce free in trailers. Good on 'ya dude!
madmax is offline Find More Posts by madmax
Old 05-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Find More Posts by JeeUm
United States, NY, Wading River
Joined Jan 2006
4,494 Posts

Now thats a cool product.

I just got done strapping down 4 airplanes with bungees.

Put me on the list.
JeeUm is offline Find More Posts by JeeUm
Old 05-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Find More Posts by TrojanMan
UAV's rule
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
1,570 Posts

Looks great Jim!
TrojanMan is offline Find More Posts by TrojanMan
Old 05-10-2007, 11:16 PM
Find More Posts by Scat-R-D
Round Rock, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
56 Posts

WOW, innovative and simply elegant, Jim I think you have created a better mousetrap!

Now the question is how long before some far east company rips it off like they do so many other great products...

Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag HERE!
Scat-R-D is offline Find More Posts by Scat-R-D
Old 05-10-2007, 11:24 PM
Find More Posts by Boulder
It's official, thanks Verne...
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jan 2006
11,247 Posts

Now this just ticks me off!!! We just got done setting up a trailer for the Nall trip, it would have been much easier with these units.

We'll talk after the Nall!!! Awesome looking product.
Boulder is offline Find More Posts by Boulder
Old 05-11-2007, 08:20 AM
Find More Posts by Kitman
Flying, Friends & Food
United States, OH, Hilliard
Joined Jan 2006
4,217 Posts

Jim, Great Idea!!! This is one of the best new ideas in a long time!!
Kitman is offline Find More Posts by Kitman
Old 05-11-2007, 08:25 AM
Find More Posts by CSpaced
Joined Jul 2006
4,903 Posts

Freakin' Sweet! Great idea, great looking product - I'm in!
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
Old 05-11-2007, 09:27 AM
Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Team Horizon Hobby
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
1,855 Posts

I want 2 sets.
Rolling Thunder is offline Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Old 05-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Find More Posts by 50%PITTS
United States, NY, Canton
Joined Mar 2006
252 Posts

if i get the trailer ive been eye ballin... you can count me in for at least 3 sets! they look like they will do the trick!!!
50%PITTS is offline Find More Posts by 50%PITTS

Quick Reply