logo
Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 05:50 AM
sfliegener is offline
Find More Posts by sfliegener
ex DA shop-bitch
sfliegener's Avatar
crazy Germany
Joined Oct 2006
49 Posts
Re: CARF SU-31

Good morning from rainy germany!

Barry, Frazer, Ryan and me flew the prototype at our 3rd CARF Meeting at the previous weekend. This is going to be a winner for sure. Finally biggest aileron throws are possible with the center hinges - gonna make a lot of crazy stuff possible for sure. I already liked that really much at the 2.6m Edge - but I wanted to have a 150cc plane and it also should be something with a long tail and a round fuselage because of advantages in the sequence stuff. So this is it, the Sukhoi is perfect for everything.

I was not that much convinced of the power of the DL-222 4cylinder in the prototype. I will set up mine with a DA-170 on Greves and keep everything as light as possible. I'm really confident that this is going to be the perfect plane for me. Besides that, I've always been a big Sukhoi fan.

The first flame scheme SU-31 is now mine and I'll take it in the air asap. I will post some detailed pictures soon, if interested.

Best greetings from germany,

Sascha Fliegener
sfliegener is offline Find More Posts by sfliegener
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-03-2010, 06:21 AM
Buzz Lightyear is offline
Find More Posts by Buzz Lightyear
Registered User
Australia
Joined Jan 2006
807 Posts
Re: CARF SU-31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfliegener View Post
Good morning from rainy germany!

Barry, Frazer, Ryan and me flew the prototype at our 3rd CARF Meeting at the previous weekend. This is going to be a winner for sure. Finally biggest aileron throws are possible with the center hinges - gonna make a lot of crazy stuff possible for sure. I already liked that really much at the 2.6m Edge - but I wanted to have a 150cc plane and it also should be something with a long tail and a round fuselage because of advantages in the sequence stuff. So this is it, the Sukhoi is perfect for everything.

I was not that much convinced of the power of the DL-222 4cylinder in the prototype. I will set up mine with a DA-170 on Greves and keep everything as light as possible. I'm really confident that this is going to be the perfect plane for me. Besides that, I've always been a big Sukhoi fan.

The first flame scheme SU-31 is now mine and I'll take it in the air asap. I will post some detailed pictures soon, if interested.

Best greetings from germany,

Sascha Fliegener
Hi Sascha

One question, does it snap like an 3m Extra 260 or a 3m Yak

A.
Buzz Lightyear is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Lightyear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 08:59 AM
sfliegener is offline
Find More Posts by sfliegener
ex DA shop-bitch
sfliegener's Avatar
crazy Germany
Joined Oct 2006
49 Posts
Re: CARF SU-31

Hi,

I like the way how my Yak 3m snaps. Only if you are much too tailheavy, it's loosing precision a bit faster than the Extras (both 260 and SuperXtra) and starts overturning. The wing geometry is more sensitive to the CG than the "square" wing of an Extra.

The SU shouldn't be any exception, I like the way it snaps. Of course I haven't gone into details yet - only one flight with the prototype. Can say more as soon as I have mine in the air. Airfoil is the same as on all the other CARF birds.

Maybe Barry can say more, he has much more flights on it and will also bring it to Joe Nall.

Regards,

Sascha
sfliegener is offline Find More Posts by sfliegener
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Reza is offline
Find More Posts by Reza
Registered User
Reza's Avatar
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jan 2006
4,400 Posts
Re: CARF SU-31

Hi Sascha,
Are ailerons center hinged like the way elevators are in comp-arf? or is it center hinged like most ARFs?
Reza is offline Find More Posts by Reza
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 12:21 PM
meloni.racing is offline
Find More Posts by meloni.racing
Registered User
Van Nuys, CA
Joined Jun 2006
982 Posts
Re: CARF SU-31

it looks good!!!

PS. CIAO Sascha!! how's going in the crazy germany??
meloni.racing is offline Find More Posts by meloni.racing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 12:43 PM
JAS is offline
JAS
Find More Posts by JAS
JAS
Miss you mom/pop-pop
JAS's Avatar
Around the USA
Joined Feb 2006
918 Posts
Re: CARF SU-31

Judging by the pic, the ailerons are hinged like the stabs/rudder
JAS is offline Find More Posts by JAS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Reza is offline
Find More Posts by Reza
Registered User
Reza's Avatar
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jan 2006
4,400 Posts
Re: CARF SU-31

That's what I thought as well but wanted to make sure!
IMO, this is a BIG improvement to their traditional skin hinged design! Good job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
Judging by the pic, the ailerons are hinged like the stabs/rudder
Reza is offline Find More Posts by Reza
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Buzz Lightyear is offline
Find More Posts by Buzz Lightyear
Registered User
Australia
Joined Jan 2006
807 Posts
Re: CARF SU-31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfliegener View Post
Hi,

I like the way how my Yak 3m snaps. Only if you are much too tailheavy, it's loosing precision a bit faster than the Extras (both 260 and SuperXtra) and starts overturning. The wing geometry is more sensitive to the CG than the "square" wing of an Extra.

The SU shouldn't be any exception, I like the way it snaps. Of course I haven't gone into details yet - only one flight with the prototype. Can say more as soon as I have mine in the air. Airfoil is the same as on all the other CARF birds.

Maybe Barry can say more, he has much more flights on it and will also bring it to Joe Nall.

Regards,

Sascha
Thanks Sascha
Buzz Lightyear is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Lightyear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 08:14 PM
choppedlow is offline
Find More Posts by choppedlow
BONAFIED
choppedlow's Avatar
Yuma, Mexizona
Joined Jan 2006
797 Posts
Re: CARF SU-31

SICK!!!!! I just got my Comparf Edge last week, and it's about all done outside of DA sending me the 120. I think I just eyed my next plane!! And I'll be sure to use you as my rep on the next one, Jason! This is only one of a few planes that the company has attempted to paint flames, and it not turing out gay (not that there's anything wrong with that).
choppedlow is offline Find More Posts by choppedlow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2010, 02:51 AM
sfliegener is offline
Find More Posts by sfliegener
ex DA shop-bitch
sfliegener's Avatar
crazy Germany
Joined Oct 2006
49 Posts
Re: CARF SU-31

Hey Reza,

Jason is right. It's hinged exactly that way like it is on the tail. You can have a look at the 2.6m Edge on our website, if interested. We have much more detail pictures from this plane. SU will follow soon. Only difference to the Edge: The SU doesn't have counterbalances on the ailerons like the Edge does.

The new ailerons are great, because you're getting much more throw out of it - especially downwards - how it is required for some new spectacular maneuvers.

The throws shown at the pics is how it comes out of the box. With a little grinding the pockets, even more should be possible.

Only bad thing is some additional weight. Hope coming out about 19 kg ready to fly with light components (DA 170 on greves with the new TSC regulator - works great!). But this plane is HUGE. The fuselage is comparable to the 3.3m Yak, not the 3m!

Germany is cold and rainy, like it should be in april, not may... Still tired and having a cold from the (really great) CARFMeeting. So I think I need this week to regenerate and relax and start with the SU next week. Arizona fitted much better to my weather preferences than this ;-)

I'll keep you tuned.

Hope to see some of you at the 2011 Shootout. Really hope I can make it.

JAS, how about to move your ass down to germany at the next CARFMeeting? Would be great, sleepy guy ;-)

Cheers,

Sascha
sfliegener is offline Find More Posts by sfliegener
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 09:35 PM
JAS is offline
JAS
Find More Posts by JAS
JAS
Miss you mom/pop-pop
JAS's Avatar
Around the USA
Joined Feb 2006
918 Posts
Re: CARF SU-31

Sascha you should know I can't fly like those young guns Andreas brings with him.

I did get to fly the SU-31 a few times at the Nall.... WOW. Aside from it rolling faster than I can keep up with (not saying much, Ryan Archer just showed that I'm too old for this kid crap ) it is a VERY solid pattern... errr IMAC plane. Here's a few pics I snapped of it during teardown on Saturday.
JAS is offline Find More Posts by JAS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 09:37 PM
JAS is offline
JAS
Find More Posts by JAS
JAS
Miss you mom/pop-pop
JAS's Avatar
Around the USA
Joined Feb 2006
918 Posts
Re: CARF SU-31

and a few more
JAS is offline Find More Posts by JAS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 05:16 PM
JAS is offline
JAS
Find More Posts by JAS
JAS
Miss you mom/pop-pop
JAS's Avatar
Around the USA
Joined Feb 2006
918 Posts
Re: CARF SU-31

Did anyone happen to get any pics of it flying or assembled on the ground? I was too busy flying it I forgot to snap some pics lol
JAS is offline Find More Posts by JAS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 06:13 PM
3drat is offline
Find More Posts by 3drat
Suspended Account
YEH THERE
Joined Mar 2007
339 Posts
Re: CARF SU-31

far out that thing is hot hi jas was it a stand out 3d plane as thats what i look for before imac style flying ,thanks for the close up photos
3drat is offline Find More Posts by 3drat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


Quick Reply
Message:


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
mauritz
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CARF 2.1m Yak 55 ckeene9 General Discussion 32 05-09-2011 01:39 AM
CARF Extra 260 2.6m essendon_05 Australia 5 10-20-2009 11:04 PM
Carf 3M 330 pics whaturi General Discussion 0 05-15-2008 10:46 PM
3.0M CARF YAK 55SP Andy Thomas Airframes and Kits 19 04-28-2008 06:15 AM
CARF - 3M YAK 55SP Mokken General Discussion 0 07-03-2007 12:22 PM