Old 03-16-2008, 09:07 AM
Find More Posts by kolarshooter
Paso Robles, Ca.
Joined Mar 2006
112 Posts
Re: Show us your trailer setup pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Smash View Post
This thread is a bit old, but I just picked up a 5x10 trailer and it came with the cheap paper thin walls. How do you guys suggest in beefing this up for airplane use and "every day" use.

Can I scew in some thicker ply into the walls?
Or should I just screw some vertical studs so I do not need to remove all the door hardware.

Thanks
I guess it depends on what you're trying to do.

I absolutely did not want anything on the walls...this way nothing can somehow fall upon and squish my planes below. (Check-out post #60) I'd prefer everything (that can move) to be on the floor, or really close to it...but that's just me, I guess.

I built a shelf by using 2x4's screwed into the steel studs behind the lightweight "cheap paper-thin walls" you describe.

If you want more substantial walls to screw things into, then you might use self-tapping screws right through the thin walls into the studs themselves. You might just install a couple of these panels to screw stuff onto, instead of lining the whole trailer with the stuff. Saves weight, saves $$$, saves hassle. Just a thought...I'd mount any plywood you're adding from the floor up...this way, the floor is supporting the weight of the plywood (which is heavy) and the self-tapping screws aren't fighting shear, just some tension.

Good luck with your project!
kolarshooter is offline Find More Posts by kolarshooter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Find More Posts by ibange
Austin
Joined Jan 2006
318 Posts

Everyone I've seen is either using a bigass trailer with wall room to put wings, or is flying smaller stuff without big wings to deal with. Anyone flying multiple 40% and 35% planes in a midsize trailer with limited wall space? I need a good solution as to where to put my wings in my trailer.
ibange is offline Find More Posts by ibange
Old 03-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Find More Posts by Got Smoke?
Meridian, MS
Joined Jan 2006
304 Posts

heres a pic of my trailer. i use it for mx bikes and planes.
i do strap alot of things to the walls using the fat strap bungee cords that you can find at walmart.
Got Smoke? is offline Find More Posts by Got Smoke?
Old 03-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Paso Robles, Ca.
Joined Mar 2006
112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibange View Post
Everyone I've seen is either using a bigass trailer with wall room to put wings, or is flying smaller stuff without big wings to deal with. Anyone flying multiple 40% and 35% planes in a midsize trailer with limited wall space? I need a good solution as to where to put my wings in my trailer.
I use wingbags...
Old 03-16-2008, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by robertp17
United States, MD, Warwick
Joined Sep 2007
1,407 Posts

If you put them in wingbags you can put them whereever you want. Im currently setting up my 12x6 trailer right now so im glad I got to see how everyone else is doing it. Im planning on just mounting hooks to the walls for my wing bags to hang on to. I need an idea for 120 volts. Inverter or small gen? I cant decide if I want to get a small honda gen ( the little one thats like the size of a suitcase) or a 1200 watt inverter. I like the inverter because its cleaner and quiter but not sure how many batteries I will need to run all day at the field. Im just going to have a small refrigerator for refreshments after flying of course. A 4 foot flouresecent light, a charger or two and my laptop. Any ideas on how much power? or how many batteries?
robertp17 is offline Find More Posts by robertp17
Old 03-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Find More Posts by pmlslc
Jerseyville, IL
Joined Jul 2006
287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertp17 View Post
If you put them in wingbags you can put them whereever you want. Im currently setting up my 12x6 trailer right now so im glad I got to see how everyone else is doing it. Im planning on just mounting hooks to the walls for my wing bags to hang on to. I need an idea for 120 volts. Inverter or small gen? I cant decide if I want to get a small honda gen ( the little one thats like the size of a suitcase) or a 1200 watt inverter. I like the inverter because its cleaner and quiter but not sure how many batteries I will need to run all day at the field. Im just going to have a small refrigerator for refreshments after flying of course. A 4 foot flouresecent light, a charger or two and my laptop. Any ideas on how much power? or how many batteries?
here is a PDF file to help calculate the battery and inverter you may need
http://www.majorpower.com/inverters/...sizing_faq.pdf

with what you are saying about a frig and light for say 6 to 8 hours you would probably need a half a trailer full of beep cycle batterys.

about the inverter, a frig, light and chargers would not need a truesine type of inverter, so you could get away with the cheeper type of inverters.

another option would be the inverter batterys and say a 500 watt soler panel you can get from RV dealers but they are pricey.
pmlslc is offline Find More Posts by pmlslc
Last edited by pmlslc; 03-16-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Find More Posts by ibange
Austin
Joined Jan 2006
318 Posts

I use wing bags as well... at least for the planes i have them for. I am more interested in a way to get them out of the way. I was originally going to put them on the roof somehow, but I'm now thinking that isn't going to work...

I like your setup kolarshooter but I'm afraid that doing that I won't be able to get two 40%ers and two 30-35%ers in at the same time which is what I'm shooting to be able to do with this trailer.
ibange is offline Find More Posts by ibange
Old 03-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Find More Posts by Lt.Smash
Flyin' Around
Joined Feb 2008
9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolarshooter View Post
I guess it depends on what you're trying to do.

I absolutely did not want anything on the walls...this way nothing can somehow fall upon and squish my planes below. (Check-out post #60) I'd prefer everything (that can move) to be on the floor, or really close to it...but that's just me, I guess.

I built a shelf by using 2x4's screwed into the steel studs behind the lightweight "cheap paper-thin walls" you describe.

If you want more substantial walls to screw things into, then you might use self-tapping screws right through the thin walls into the studs themselves. You might just install a couple of these panels to screw stuff onto, instead of lining the whole trailer with the stuff. Saves weight, saves $$$, saves hassle. Just a thought...I'd mount any plywood you're adding from the floor up...this way, the floor is supporting the weight of the plywood (which is heavy) and the self-tapping screws aren't fighting shear, just some tension.

Good luck with your project!

Awsome Idea with only installing a few panels. It will save weight, $$$ and time. Never thought of that.
Lt.Smash is offline Find More Posts by Lt.Smash
Old 03-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Paso Robles, Ca.
Joined Mar 2006
112 Posts

Good Luck! Don't forget to post some pics when you're done.

Rob
Old 03-21-2008, 04:28 AM
Doc
Find More Posts by Doc
Doc
The Flyin' Doc!
Australia
Joined May 2006
1,166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibange View Post
I have a small trailer too. the wings are sandwiched in a cargo net which is strung across about 6-8 inches from the ceiling. The net is fairly tight, and acts like a shock absorber. Make sure the wings can't flap up & down too much or they will hit the roof or a plane.

(2nd photo shows the angle aluminium that the cargo net is attached to, sorry I don't have any from that angle with the net in, but I hope you get the idea.)
Doc is offline Find More Posts by Doc
Old 03-21-2008, 05:16 AM
Find More Posts by Double J
3W Rules
United States, NJ, Stewartsville
Joined Jan 2006
36 Posts

It's great having a trailer, a hesitant investment at first but now I can't see myself not having one!
Double J is offline Find More Posts by Double J
Old 03-21-2008, 08:01 AM
Find More Posts by MrYak
Flyin' Around
Canada
Joined Jan 2006
11 Posts

Has anyone tried the GearLeg products?, if so, how do they work?

Thanks.

http://gearlegs.com/index.php
MrYak is offline Find More Posts by MrYak
Old 03-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Find More Posts by The Dirt Doctor
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Nov 2006
2,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYak View Post
Has anyone tried the GearLeg products?, if so, how do they work?

Thanks.

http://gearlegs.com/index.php

They work great - I have three sets of them! I had a lot of trouble keeping my planes from bouncing around in the trailer during the trips. Now I don't have to worry. You can't go wrong with them.

TDD (aka Bobby)
The Dirt Doctor is offline Find More Posts by The Dirt Doctor
Old 03-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Find More Posts by robertp17
United States, MD, Warwick
Joined Sep 2007
1,407 Posts

Anyone know where to get the black and white panels to make a checkerboard floor? I love that look and went to lowes and home depot with no luck, unless of course I wanted to do it in granite or marble
robertp17 is offline Find More Posts by robertp17
Old 03-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Find More Posts by flyin woodbutcher
Diving for DA's
Ashland Va
Joined Mar 2006
1,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertp17 View Post
Anyone know where to get the black and white panels to make a checkerboard floor? I love that look and went to lowes and home depot with no luck, unless of course I wanted to do it in granite or marble

Yep www.kiwitile.com they have many colores.

FWB
flyin woodbutcher is offline Find More Posts by flyin woodbutcher

Quick Reply