Find More Posts by WangoTango
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
5,152 Posts
Discussion
FLYING GIANTS REUNION 2018!

!FLYING GIANTS REUNION 2018!

!!From WangoTango...

A couple weeks ago I was cruising through some old threads here on Flying Giants. I’m not talking about the usual stuff like last years Joe Nall event or anything like that…… In case you didn’t know it, FG is really a gigantic "time sponge.” In reality, everything you peck out on your keyboard is kept on some giant cloud on the surface of the moon…… Not really but it sounded good. Well, I looked at old Huckfests, the Peanut Butter/ Jelly thread, Packrat’s bazillion post thread on everyday flying in their neighborhood, etc.

As I cruised through this mega time warp I began to notice old screen names that rung a bell in the back of my mind. The one that stood out the most was Mad Max. The man was a legend! Then came Snapasaurus……. We’re talking black Escalade, towing a black trailer with at the very least, 4 or 5 really big planes in it at all times! It was a rolling party/flying machine complete with mobile hooka bar. When you went to a Huckfest, it was somehow magically transported to every one of them.

Somebody did a thread on some German fellas (I think they came from Germany) bringing an all-metal, really huge DH Beaver to the USA. Well, we were treated to “Beaver Innuendo” for months on end. I also remembered the thrill of being the lucky guy that made the ONE MILLIONTH POST here on Flying Giants! Now that was really one in a million that I even won!

We have endured change. We have lost really good people to the Lord. We have seen the biggest and best models come and go. We have made countless friends. We have seen the building of the unbelievable "FG VIBE” right before our very eyes!

After doing several hours of reading on all these subjects it hit me: Why not start a reunion thread here on FG? We all go to high school and college reunions. We even have military unit reunions….. It would be fitting that we all make posts here on the FG REUNION THREAD where we could tell all the FG Brothers and Sisters where we are with the hobby, how long we’ve been involved with FG, and maybe an old tall tale of some wild moment at a Huckfest, etc. (Remember, whatever you’ve done can be held against you at any future
Supreme Court Nomination Hearings!)

This thread was started in the WEESE/SLAMMIS video extravaganza….. (Remember trying to eat your first JAPALENO and trying to keep up with the crazy Swede that consumed them like candy!!??) So now we will have a REUNION on the front page so we all can post and keep up with each other.

Well folks, I guess all that’s necessary to kick this off is your fertile little mind and a little time at the keyboard. Now…….. ON WITH FG REUNION 2018!
WangoTango is offline Find More Posts by WangoTango
Last edited by Jim T.; 11-21-2020 at 03:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-13-2018, 01:38 PM
Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Still Draggin' 'Em
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Mar 2007
6,809 Posts
When I got back into flying and joined this site, I never imagined I'd meet so many friends from all over the globe. Most of which I still stay in touch with. We may come and go in the hobby, but it's awesome to stay connected with so many great folks. It'll be hard to top the OG crew that started this site and created a brotherhood that has lasted all these years. We all couldn't wait for the next big event to meet up and create many more epic memories. Most of which are NOT even close enough to a PG rating to share here. Lol! The flying was the reason we traveled so much to meet up, but the friendships were the catalyst. There are plenty of memories that did take place over the runways though and one of the most memorable was being front and center to witness Kyle's ashes being scattered on the Triple Tree 3D flight line by Voodoo. Very emotional moment. You'll forever be one of my favorites. You're an awesome person Terry. Boy, we sure could spend hours tripping down memory lane here. Many of us have been through a ton of highs and lows together. If it weren't for that great bond, I'd probably have been completely out of the hobby long ago. I don't get to see many of you anymore, but I'm damn glad to have spent the time with y'all I did.
BOSSIER_ROB is offline Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Old 11-13-2018, 06:44 PM
Find More Posts by AtomicFrawg
Lafayette, LA
Joined Feb 2006
44 Posts
OG
AtomicFrawg is offline Find More Posts by AtomicFrawg
Old 11-13-2018, 08:48 PM
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
5,152 Posts
HISTORY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFrawg View Post
OG
There's some history!
WT
Old 11-14-2018, 08:01 AM
Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Team Twisted!
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Mar 2006
5,907 Posts
Some of the guys posts that I miss reading....

Mad max
Snapasaurus
Craven
TBob
Buttface
Fixed wing
Walt (BBW)
Bob Sawyer (forgot his screen name)
Wayne G.

And several others
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old 11-14-2018, 08:07 AM
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
5,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLAV8R View Post
Some of the guys posts that I miss reading....

Mad max
Snapasaurus
Craven
TBob
Buttface
Fixed wing
Walt (BBW)
Bob Sawyer (forgot his screen name)
Wayne G.

And several others
Bob Sawyer: Sensei!
Old 11-14-2018, 08:18 AM
Find More Posts by mike chandley
United States, SC, Bluffton
Joined Jan 2006
2,019 Posts
I have been in and out of this hobby way more than most.
The friends I have made in the last 25 years are still my friends here.
I am coming back again this year.
Going to breath some life into SE Imac and bringing the Pot of oil!
Forever Team Cholesterol!
Mike Chandley
mike chandley is offline Find More Posts by mike chandley
Old 11-14-2018, 08:30 AM
Find More Posts by jms5599
United States, MO, High Ridge
Joined Feb 2009
973 Posts
I apologize up front. There was a gentleman that had huge knowledge about gas engines that posted soo much good information and helped so many people including myself but I can't remember his name? I know you guys know whom I'm talking about. Big thanks to him! RIP
jms5599 is offline Find More Posts by jms5599
Old 11-14-2018, 09:13 AM
Find More Posts by dshriver
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Oct 2014
1,165 Posts
Pe Reivers
dshriver is offline Find More Posts by dshriver
Old 11-14-2018, 09:41 AM
Find More Posts by jms5599
United States, MO, High Ridge
Joined Feb 2009
973 Posts
Yes! Thanks! Old timers is setting in. He was one of the best!
jms5599 is offline Find More Posts by jms5599
Old 11-14-2018, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by gmorales83
Carbon Fiber Everything
United States, TX, Katy
Joined Mar 2008
714 Posts
I joined back in 2008 shortly before buying my first 35%er. I was fresh out of college, little money in my pocket, but one of our favorite hobby shops had been hit by the winds and waters of Hurricane Ike, here in Houston. They had a H9 Extra 260 that had bad water damage to the boxes, but the plane was all intact, and they sold it for a reduced price, to a very happy me. The rest is history, and have met some amazing people along the way here and in person: Bossier Rob (I see you up there ^haha), Sensei, 66Stang, Mike McConville, Quique, Snappy, Yuri, and the list goes on... I never thought a hobby could lead to so many new, and lifelong friends: Toby, David, Damon (we still fly locally from time to time). I think the 2 years I was able to attend Joe Nall were the greatest of the hobby and I have no plans to leave this crowd of planes and friends ever. Even with its changes and a few troubles.. I must say Flying Giants is my favorite forum. Cheers, everyone! - Gabriel
gmorales83 is offline Find More Posts by gmorales83
Old 11-14-2018, 11:01 AM
Find More Posts by brokenprops
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Jan 2014
787 Posts
Its all the past member that made this site , What it is today! And I have made a lot of close friends as well. I love the hobby and still fly when I can
brokenprops is offline Find More Posts by brokenprops
Old 11-14-2018, 11:23 AM
Find More Posts by Shortman
Stiffler look-alike
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2006
144 Posts
It has been some time. I use to moderate quite a bit and remember meeting Mad Max at several events and expos in Southern California. I still have some planes/helis that are in need of repair but keep tabs on this forum of new models and classifieds so one day I may purchase that Carden .

I don't post much anymore, but I do check the website almost daily for updates. This is a hobby that will never leave me (only 30 now, but started when I was maybe 11-12 years old). On pause now until I get a nice house with my own garage for building .

BTW, what ever happened to Mad Max? He is the one who edited my description under my username and I've kept it since haha
Shortman is offline Find More Posts by Shortman
Last edited by Shortman; 11-14-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:25 AM
Find More Posts by Shortman
Stiffler look-alike
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2006
144 Posts
Also Wayne G. It's been a while but is that Wayne Geffon (sp?) I remember talking to him at length a lot when I was younger in the hobby, great person. Where is he? Fu&* I am getting older :/
Shortman is offline Find More Posts by Shortman
Old 11-14-2018, 12:01 PM
Find More Posts by Hoosier06
United States, IN, Highland
Joined Jan 2006
616 Posts
Originally Posted by BOSSIER_ROB [IMG]file:///C:\Users\gorsi\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
You're talking about Tbob. He's around on Facebook

I am a quiet person but was here in the day. Never did have the 3D skills of those guys. Those were the good ole days for sure. Out here many from that time have stopped RC flying. I wonder if it is true for the many "big names" of that era. So nice to see those names listed.

Tbob, he is still flying. I just sold a bunch of his stuff for him. He was a young guy in those days,still is, that is unless you were younger. He had a few rough years but he is healthy and sassy as usual. Went to Toledo though those bygone years and got to meet Craven. If you were in IMAC you would remember Lew. He was never on here much but he is gone and still missed around here. Remember Walt? He built a few Carden's for Wayne G. and did some build threads here. He is homesteading down south and now building his cottage in the woods., pretty much finished and chopping down the forest around him. That guy can build anything.We are a bunch from around Chicagoland in Indiana.
Hoosier06 is offline Find More Posts by Hoosier06

Quick Reply