logo
Old 10-23-2013, 06:22 PM
Find More Posts by CanCanCase
Look, I can hover a foamy!
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Dec 2006
365 Posts
Has anyone played with non-standard exhausts/mufflers on this one? I assume it's just a pair of 20cc heads, so will mufflers or headers for a DLE20 fit close to properly?

-Case
CanCanCase is offline Find More Posts by CanCanCase
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-24-2013, 04:00 PM
Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
United States, IL, Moline
Joined Oct 2008
1,870 Posts
just recieved my 40 twin today. shes pretty. looks and smells pretested so thats ok by me. installing onto my aeroworks laser 200 right now. maybe get it running and maybe test flight this weekend
nappyroots2182 is offline Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
Old 10-25-2013, 12:46 AM
Find More Posts by BearBow
Joined Oct 2012
270 Posts
Hope to maiden my AW 30cc Ultimate BIPE and its 40cc Twin this Sat. Also added a Harris Comp smoke system. Can't wait to see this combo run. I may have the first airframe and 40cc Twin combo out there, since I got the first batch of these planes. Install was like they were designed around each other. CG came out perfect with no mods. Would have been a bit tail heavy on a single cyl 30cc.
BearBow is offline Find More Posts by BearBow
Old 10-25-2013, 08:24 PM
Find More Posts by Scooterpilot
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jan 2006
428 Posts
I started the VVRC 40cc tonight and it took a while to get it to started. I ran it for two minutes shut it down and tired to start it again. WOW, was it hard to start. I know the engine was ran at VVRC. I'm wondering because I'm at 3000 AGL if I need to lean he motor an itty bit. Any suggestions?

I spend about 10 minutes to get it to start which is way too long
Scooterpilot is offline Find More Posts by Scooterpilot
Old 10-25-2013, 08:32 PM
jlc
Find More Posts by jlc
jlc
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2012
528 Posts
Have you removed a plug during the process to see if it is wet or dry?
jlc is online now Find More Posts by jlc
Old 10-26-2013, 07:39 AM
Find More Posts by RKEstes
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Jun 2013
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterpilot View Post
I started the VVRC 40cc tonight and it took a while to get it to started. I ran it for two minutes shut it down and tired to start it again. WOW, was it hard to start. I know the engine was ran at VVRC. I'm wondering because I'm at 3000 AGL if I need to lean he motor an itty bit. Any suggestions?

Mine was a bear the first few times. VVRC uses a starter. It's tough to get fuel in the crankcase at first. This worked for me. Get someone to help hold the plane vertical and squirt an ounce or so of fuel into the carb with the throttle open. Also using a 21" prop for initial runs helps as well. It gets easier. I actually richened my low end 1/8 turn and the starting problems went away for me. I am about 600' AGL though. It's very unlikely that you are flooding it.
RKEstes is offline Find More Posts by RKEstes
Old 10-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Joined Oct 2012
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterpilot View Post

There have been a lot of comments here of how this engine is to start....it's not the engine at all, it's the new Carb....If you'll turn the plane over, and put a goodly amount of gas directly in the intake, then turn over the prop over 5-6 times, with no ignition on of course....then turn it back over on it's wheels and let it sit, since it'll be seriously flooded.....it will then start easily. On a new carb the rubber diaphragms simply don't work....they're hard and stiff and won't pump....you need to get them wet and then they'll pump....no need for a starter at all.
The thing I'm surprised about though, because mine was a bixxx to start as well until I did the above, was that if these were all run on a bench by Tom, then WHY does the Carb act like a new one out of the box....shouldn't. Odd is all I'm saying.
After I "wetted" the carb, let it sit 3-5min, it started right up....still used the choke for 2-3 flips until it caught, then on 3rd flip with choke off, it started right up....several times I shut it down, waited til it cooled to air temp, and it started afterwards on 2nd flip most times. I'm happy.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:50 PM
Joined Oct 2012
270 Posts
I didn't get to maiden the Ultimate Bipe today, due to gusting high winds, but did run the motor and taxied around for about 15 min. I believe in flying it to break it in, so that's all the running I'll do on the ground. The idle was impressive and sweet. After about 3 min, it ticked right down to a nice loping 1200rpm. It was extremely smooth as was also the transition to full throttle...which I only did momentarily to check transition settings.
By the way, you might also try resetting the needle valves per the manual....mine were off when I turned them in back to zero....but when I set them at 1 3/4 and 1 1/2, they were spot on....the idle remained untouched, and I opened it up another 1/4 on high end to get it running rich enough for maiden/break-in running.
Flight report to come next week.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:48 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,870 Posts
maiden my laser 200 today with my 40cc twin. motor was lean from factory and i had trouble starting it. after riching it up and getting a few flights on it, it does run good. its having a hard time swinging a 20x8 prop. i may go 19x8 for a gallon or two just to aid in breakin. all in all its doing good and seems to have some good power. cant wait till its broke in
Old 10-27-2013, 08:21 PM
Find More Posts by hone1er
:)
Joined Sep 2012
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappyroots2182 View Post
maiden my laser 200 today with my 40cc twin. motor was lean from factory and i had trouble starting it. after riching it up and getting a few flights on it, it does run good. its having a hard time swinging a 20x8 prop. i may go 19x8 for a gallon or two just to aid in breakin. all in all its doing good and seems to have some good power. cant wait till its broke in
Why do you say yours is having a hard time with the 20x8? Mine spins a Vess 20B with ease from the start. Getting 6800-6950 on the ground before a flight and still has solid throttle response. The 20B is about a 10 or 11 pitch. I want to try a CF Falcon 20x10.
hone1er is offline Find More Posts by hone1er
Old 10-27-2013, 10:22 PM
Find More Posts by Scooterpilot
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jan 2006
428 Posts
I maidend the EF Eztra 300 78" today with the VVRC 40cc. Actually I put five tanks though it.....very good combo. I richened up the bottom end about an 1/8 of a turn. Tac showed 6900 and I richened up the top end so it's tac's at 6800. Everything working great.
Scooterpilot is offline Find More Posts by Scooterpilot
Old 10-28-2013, 06:26 AM
Joined Oct 2008
1,870 Posts
it seems to take awhile to spin up my 20x8. but its only got 4 flights on it. maybe its still abit on the lean side. ill tach and richen it up some more on the next flight. maybe later this week
Old 10-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Find More Posts by patroller
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2013
779 Posts
The engine is tight for the first couple of flights. I have about 2 gallons through mine with a xoar 20x8. I was seeing just over 7000rpm just before it's first flight. I have not measured it since. I assume it is higher than that now. It gets smoother after a few more tanks.

I have a vess 21a on the bench now that the engine has been run in a bit. I can't put it on until I get some longer prop bolts. The stock ones are too short for the substantially thicker hub. I just measured, an it looks like I need to find 4-8M x 50mm bolts to make it work.

I am also grounded waiting on a failed receiver. It refused to power on this weekend. I ordered a replacement while I get this one serviced.
patroller is offline Find More Posts by patroller
Old 10-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Gettin better 1 [email protected] a time!
Cody WY
Joined Apr 2009
1,473 Posts
I am assuming the pistons/rings are the same in the VV XYZ 20, which I have. FWIW, mine was also hard to start first time each day, but once warmed up, a couple flips usually has it going. Also, mine started, ran, and transitioned fine, but power was a little low at first, spinning a Xoar 17x6 at 7600. I now have about 3/4 of a gallon through it, and it's loosening up nicely--spinning that same 17x6 at 8100-8200 now.

Give the rings a little time to seat, and they seem to run well
wyo69cowboy is offline Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Old 10-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Find More Posts by BryanB
United States, AR, Conway
Joined Jul 2013
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBow View Post
There have been a lot of comments here of how this engine is to start....it's not the engine at all, it's the new Carb....If you'll turn the plane over, and put a goodly amount of gas directly in the intake, then turn over the prop over 5-6 times, with no ignition on of course....then turn it back over on it's wheels and let it sit, since it'll be seriously flooded.....it will then start easily. On a new carb the rubber diaphragms simply don't work....they're hard and stiff and won't pump....you need to get them wet and then they'll pump....no need for a starter at all.
The thing I'm surprised about though, because mine was a bixxx to start as well until I did the above, was that if these were all run on a bench by Tom, then WHY does the Carb act like a new one out of the box....shouldn't. Odd is all I'm saying.
After I "wetted" the carb, let it sit 3-5min, it started right up....still used the choke for 2-3 flips until it caught, then on 3rd flip with choke off, it started right up....several times I shut it down, waited til it cooled to air temp, and it started afterwards on 2nd flip most times. I'm happy.
Do you do this each time at the field or did you do it just once? First gallon thru mine and still about 5-10 minutes to start. When running it is AWESOME. I do think it is getting better but agree it seem to be the carb rather than the engine. Thinking I may go up to a Vess 21A over the 20B I am currently using. I think hone1er (and others) report it is easier to start with a larger mass up front.

I think my low end needle is still a little rich b/c at or below half throttle it 4cycles a little but I am okay with that for still on my first two gallons at 32:1. The high end seems perfect. I have onboard telemetry and have baffled my motor - my reading on the head temps seem to be around 100-120 depending on the style of flying I am currently doing.

EF 78" Extra 300 | VVRC 40cc | Vess20B
BryanB is offline Find More Posts by BryanB

Quick Reply