Find More Posts by scootr
2 many planes 2 little time
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Sep 2015
1,063 Posts
Rant
trade war - really!?

We import electronics.
Not RC stuff but not unlike the millions of dollars worth of RC stuff the US imports annually.
Our electronic components are suddenly hit with an additional 25-33% duty since the US trade war went public.
I suppose that's fair because importers should be supporting US manufactures by buying electronics made in the USA.
So I searched. And I searched. And I searched.......
And I find no such US manufactures.
So I ask, what is the purpose of penalizing markets that sell imported goods if said goods are not available made in the USA?
Is the tariff supposed to increase the price of such goods until Chinese investors pop up factories around the USA producing cheap electronics here using cheap & plentiful American workers?

And where does all of this money collected go? 25% of billions of trade is, you guessed it, billions of dollars- going into where, the general fund for misuse and abuse. While the consumer pays in higher trickled down prices. How's this helping, really!?
At the least, pool this money for manufacture development grants or loans - Sheesh!

Okay I'm done. I wonder how this will effect the RC consumer in general. Thanks for pondering this with me.
I know haters will hate. I hear them chomping at the bit.
scootr is offline Find More Posts by scootr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2018, 04:11 PM
Find More Posts by flyin4fun
Lancaster , PA
Joined Dec 2007
3,844 Posts
I am not a hater, as it appears you have enough for the both of us.......but I suppose the alternative to your rant is to just keep allowing foreign governments to keep pickpocketing the American citizens and taxpayers.
flyin4fun is offline Find More Posts by flyin4fun
Old 08-08-2018, 04:16 PM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
3,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin4fun View Post
I am not a hater, as it appears you have enough for the both of us.......but I suppose the alternative to your rant is to just keep allowing foreign governments to keep pickpocketing the American citizens and taxpayers.
Exactly.... we've been getting screwed for years. It's gonna take more than 5 minutes to get things straightened out...have a lil patience !!!!
ponyboy082662 is offline Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 08-08-2018, 04:39 PM
Find More Posts by lc39tech
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Oct 2009
103 Posts
I'm all for it (the tariffs). People are always going to go for the cheapest items regardless of the consequences. If we want to have a country, we need to support it.
lc39tech is offline Find More Posts by lc39tech
Old 08-08-2018, 04:50 PM
Joined Sep 2015
1,063 Posts
Interesting.
By the way I'm not a hateful person.
I have been around the internet awhile.
Tell me how the situation I describe will fix or save our country - remember no US manufacture makes what we buy.
And tell me how - making something for less is stealing or unfair. Because when it happens within our borders we call it capitalism and reward it.
How is it stealing if I buy less from you than you buy from me?
And thank you for your comments
Old 08-08-2018, 05:06 PM
Find More Posts by flyin4fun
Lancaster , PA
Joined Dec 2007
3,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr View Post
Interesting.
Tell me how the situation I describe will fix or save our country - remember no US manufacture makes what we buy.
And tell me how - making something for less is stealing or unfair. Because when it happens within our borders we call it capitalism and reward it.
WOW.... really.....apparently you are wayyyyyy to young in age to know of the time that we DID have companies that manufactured the very items that you speak of.... but somehow in your vast internet experience have neglected to search WHY we do not produce those items anymore.....hmmm
flyin4fun is offline Find More Posts by flyin4fun
Old 08-08-2018, 05:21 PM
Find More Posts by jack01
Memphis, TN
Joined Jan 2006
1,557 Posts
As a kid, I watched my Dad's job evaporate as more and more companies went overseas. As an adult, I fly into a lot of Midwestern towns and see the industry that used to be there.

Getting countless jobs back has my unwavering support.
jack01 is offline Find More Posts by jack01
Old 08-08-2018, 05:41 PM
Joined Sep 2015
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin4fun View Post
WOW.... really.....apparently you are wayyyyyy to young in age to know of the time that we DID have companies that manufactured the very items that you speak of.... but somehow in your vast internet experience have neglected to search WHY we do not produce those items anymore.....hmmm
That's your answer - lol. Don't be defensive - be informative.
I'm far from young or smart. And yes I produced something tangible (salable) for 50 years.
I tried to be nice. I'm just asking questions.
Are we all ready to pay 30% more for the RC motors, radios, receivers, servos etc? And if so how will this help us balance our economy?

I think you are saying that if they tax the Chinese goods enough US investors will build factories & manufactures will spring up to take advantage of the new higher price. Do you believe that?
Old 08-08-2018, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Living the dream
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Oct 2007
6,511 Posts
Quote:
Interesting.
Tariffs, in this case, have more to do with Chinese currency manipulation than anything else.
Cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Old 08-08-2018, 05:49 PM
Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Living the dream
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Oct 2007
6,511 Posts
Quote:
That's your answer - lol. Don't be defensive - be informative.
I'm far from young or smart. And yes I produced something tangible (salable) for 50 years.
I tried to be nice. I'm just asking questions.
Are we all ready to pay 30% more for the RC motors, radios, receivers, servos etc? And if so how will this help us balance our economy?

I think you are saying that if they tax the Chinese goods enough US investors will build factories & manufactures will spring up to take advantage of the new higher price. Do you believe that?
If it costs 30% more for that chinese part, then US based manufactures will be able to be competitive once again and create jobs. More jobs, more income, more taxes, more money stays in the US.. a better US economy.

Its all it is....an attempt to force China to stop manipulating the value of the Yuan which has caused domestic losses in jobs and industry.
Cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Old 08-08-2018, 05:52 PM
Find More Posts by lc39tech
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Oct 2009
103 Posts
Quote:
That was the general idea behind my statement. And yes, I would gladly pay 30% more for the warm and fuzzy feeling of supporting an American family. I already do this where possible.
lc39tech is offline Find More Posts by lc39tech
Old 08-08-2018, 06:53 PM
Find More Posts by AeroKen
Joined Apr 2015
244 Posts
For anyone who hasn’t already done so, it’s worthwhile to go read a detailed account of the Smoot-Hawley act and the subsequent trade war, in which it’s generally agreed there were no winners. Some disturbing similarities to current events.

The real world is not nearly as simple and clear cut as politicians of either party like to claim it is.
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old 08-08-2018, 07:16 PM
Find More Posts by torquen
Lodi, Ca. USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,650 Posts
I don’t think you understand why the import tariffs are being implemented. Do you think it’s right that everything we send out of the US to other countries gets a 25% plus tax? But we are to turn around and buy stuff from those countries and not charge them anything? Especially when we are allias with them!! The reason is so other countries start to feel the same as we do now. Then they will eventually realize that we should have no trade tariffs at all.

This won’t happen over night. And it didn’t get this way overnight either. If it allows for more US jobs and businesses then it’s that much better.

What is the extra billions being used for?? How about trying to get this country out of the 18 trillion we are in debt.

We get nailed on every single thing we export. Agriculture products being a big one. America has a huge amount of Ag so it hits us hard.
China has a huge amount of electronics that get imported into the us so that is why the tariffs include electronics.

I honestly don’t think anyone will be able to say something to change your mind. It looks like you are on your own path.
torquen is offline Find More Posts by torquen
Old 08-08-2018, 07:40 PM
Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Melbourne, FL, USA
Joined May 2007
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy082662 View Post
Exactly.... we've been getting screwed for years. It's gonna take more than 5 minutes to get things straightened out...have a lil patience !!!!
Sooooooooooooooooo not true, trade wars are easily started and if you know little bit of history (Bush 2000) we will end up all loosing. There will be sooooooooooo much collateral damage.

We just paid 25% tariff on $40,000.00 special batteries that nobody makes. Our competition from Canada and Germany is just laughing, sooooo stupid.

Here you go, winning everywhere.

A South Carolina company plans to lay off almost all its workers — 126 people — because of the Trump administration's tariffs.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/08/new...uts/index.html

The company said the layoffs and plant closure were a direct result of US tariffs on goods imported from China, including important parts that Element uses to put together TVs.
Esprit Model is offline Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Old 08-08-2018, 07:44 PM
Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Melbourne, FL, USA
Joined May 2007
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lc39tech View Post
That was the general idea behind my statement. And yes, I would gladly pay 30% more for the warm and fuzzy feeling of supporting an American family. I already do this where possible.
Most of the local guys who walk to the store do NOT want to pay even 6% local sales tax, how are you going to increase prices for products hit by tariffs? I always ask them if they use highway getting to the store or if they kids go to local schools.

Florida is our smallest market due to sales tax, no need to argue Monthly Sales Statements confirm that. Just time to get real.
Esprit Model is offline Find More Posts by Esprit Model

Quick Reply