logo
Old 08-02-2019, 08:38 AM
Find More Posts by rcinspired
United States, MD, Bethesda
Joined Apr 2011
164 Posts
Discussion
Gopro on a head strap taking video

I have seen many videos of Gopro being used on the rc planes etc... However, if there is no cameraman, has anyone tried to use a head strap with a go pro and take video of their plane flying? Does it really work ok or does it make the plane look small etc... Any Videos? thinking of buying one.
rcinspired is offline Find More Posts by rcinspired
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-02-2019, 09:56 AM
Find More Posts by KMatch
United States, TX, Bay City
Joined Nov 2016
455 Posts
It works but it makes life difficult to get quality. The plane is always distant and a good video production app with zoom capabilities helps, but only slightly. I prefer a 2x zoom lense which makes the gopro heavy on the forehead, but also leads to more work in post. With this lense, the camera will vignette in a bad way (edges of video show inside of lense in this case). Without editing your video has a large outer doughnut ring. The better shots with this setup use "narrow" in the frame width settings which at first seems to defeat the purpose, but makes post changes in a video app easier with much better resulution. You still have to be able to zoom with the app, and this lets you cut off the round edges and get a clearer zoomed result.

This is an example with another hat camera similar to gopro resolution
High Wind Harrier Training (0 min 44 sec)
using a different camera with no zoom. It's a 67" plane at around 50ft away in the beginning shot across the runway, and zoomed in a large amount in a video app. See how grainy? You can expect your shots at 50 foot to show a 67" plane around half this size without help. And a LOT is lost doing this without a zoom lense, although the lense isn't a real fix. It just helps in overall quality. I'm far from finding a way to do this with good results so I just post "interesting" shots such as this FUBAR moment rather than proud shots as those proud shots lose luster due to the grain.
KMatch is offline Find More Posts by KMatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2019, 10:44 AM
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
Having used some hat cams, they are novel but get tiresome real quick...

And unless you are a totally BA pilot, or flying especially unique aircraft, most people get real bored watching after the first few videos.
Vapor Trails is offline Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)

Quick Reply