Find More Posts by TheTank
I created FG! Bitch!
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jan 2006
10,655 Posts
Re: Bouncy Landings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC3D View Post
just because its a WB it doesnt have to weigh as much as a tank to be "STRONG".....and dont give me the scale flying crap. Fly it scale.....

Hey now!!!!!
TheTank is offline Find More Posts by TheTank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-20-2010, 03:19 AM
Find More Posts by scalenut
York, SC
Joined May 2008
31 Posts
Re: Bouncy Landings.

I find that full flap landings are my favorite as long as the wind is not too gusty and I am not fighting a strong crosswind. In those conditions I always do a no flap landing. All I fly are warbirds in the larger sizes and I like to bring them in for a wheel landing and roll them onto the runway. A little fast is better than too slow. If you get slow they will sink too fast and bounce every time. To solve the bounce problem when coming in a little fast I pull the flaps up as soon as the mains touch the ground. This kills a significant portion of the lift and really sticks the plane to the ground. The best advice I ever got was to fly it all the way to the ground. I had the tendency to get it close and let it land its self....that did not work well for me, but once I realized that and started flying it to touchdown my landings improved a 100 percent.

Here is a slow motion sample of the landing technique I use. The flaps are on a slow servo so they do not jump up when I raise them but retract slowly. Notice on the roll out as the flaps come up the tail drops and event though the ground rocks the airplane on roll out the wheels stay stuck and it never gets back in the air. For sure it helps to have a long runway so you can slow down straight ahead once you are on the ground.

Forest Morris JU 87 STUKA (5 min 57 sec)
scalenut is offline Find More Posts by scalenut
Old 12-07-2014, 03:49 PM
Find More Posts by charliewerchan1
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined Dec 2014
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by louu View Post
ive been training a lot of people this year.
i look over at a lot of them and they just start stressing on landing and try to force it.
i tell them,
just relax and FLY the plane across the ground at one or two inches at idle, eventually it will land its self.
dont think of it as a landing, think of it as flying low and slow.
its just like taking a dump, just let it happen...........

Great answer.....bad analogy haha
charliewerchan1 is offline Find More Posts by charliewerchan1
Old 12-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by crashwrench
Fly'n By Upside DOWN,V/LOW
United States, NC, High Point
Joined Feb 2008
268 Posts
Hi ,
I Had The Same Problem With my 1/5th Giant Scale Top Flite P-51 Mustang .
I am using Robart's Retracs And Wheels . the " Oleo's Were Sprung too stiff for my plane .
My Mustang Wheighs in at ( 28:lbs -- All Up , ready to fly ) , I pulled the " Oleo's Struts A part , And cut The Spring A little till it settles from ( About 1/8th Of a Inch ) full strut Extension , Also Applied Some White Lithium light grease To Dampen the Springs .
To test the setup , I Put a Thin O-Ring On The Bottom Part Of The Strut ( The moving part ) , Push the O-Ring Against the Upper Strut Tube .

I Then Dropped the Plane from two (2) Feet from the Ground , On The Main Wheels . now check to see " How Far
That O-Ring Has Moved .
If It Is All The Way Down You CUT TOO Much Of THE SPRING OFF .. ( It does not take much to make a change ) .
Now If you Come in too hard for a landing , You can see the Wheels Moving Up and Down Verses A Big Bounce .
Hope This helps .
Later,
Mark K.
High POINT , N.C. USA
crashwrench is offline Find More Posts by crashwrench
Old 01-12-2015, 02:26 PM
Find More Posts by impulse09
lol wut?
United States, VA, Chesapeake
Joined Apr 2010
343 Posts
Please don't drop your airplane from 2 feet off the ground.

If anything drop it from 4 feet while filming, then post the footage.
impulse09 is offline Find More Posts by impulse09
Old 02-04-2015, 07:43 AM
dek
Find More Posts by dek
dek
United States, MI, Battle Creek
Joined Dec 2014
59 Posts
don't know if it will work for you , have one plane that runs on forever on landing , gives me fits only time I grease the landing is when someones talking to me or otherwise distracting me? I over think!
dek is offline Find More Posts by dek
Old 07-29-2017, 02:41 PM
Find More Posts by sacalu
Romania, HR, Gheorgheni
Joined May 2006
60 Posts
I have the 1,7m wingspan Seagull Zlin. It flyes great but at landing it-s a pain. There aren't many videos with it on youtube, but almost in all it bounces. I don't know if it's because the mains are too mouch in front and it's tail heavy once on the ground or what because my CAP 232 27% for example it doesn't do that. So..after a good search on anything I could find on the subject, inlcluding flying the tail, practice slow flight, trim down elevator for the after contact moment etc..I'm still in the same place. So my question is a more excentric one: what if I mount such a long tail wheel that the fuselage will stay almost orizontal when on the ground, likle a tryke plane, that has a nose wheel? So that the tail can no longer drop after contact an increase the wing angle and the lift, I know it would look odd but will it stay on the ground then at least untill I get to know it's beahaver better? Something like in the photo..
sacalu is offline Find More Posts by sacalu
Last edited by sacalu; 07-29-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:33 PM
Find More Posts by madinpensacola
New plane junkie
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jun 2014
2,367 Posts
If it can't be slowed down more before touchdown (preferred), then try programming a switch for spoilerons. Kicks the ailerons up and kills lift. Don't do it until right at touchdown.
madinpensacola is offline Find More Posts by madinpensacola
Old 11-24-2017, 08:59 PM
Find More Posts by crashwrench
Fly'n By Upside DOWN,V/LOW
United States, NC, High Point
Joined Feb 2008
268 Posts
BOUNCY<BOUNCY<

+1
crashwrench is offline Find More Posts by crashwrench
Last edited by crashwrench; 11-24-2017 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Duplcate Post
Old 07-08-2018, 12:05 PM
Find More Posts by Rickster
United States, TX, Beaumont
Joined Apr 2006
840 Posts
It is a real balancing act that requires a fluid motion from flying to driving. Some planes will do best on a three point but if the tail touches first due to AOA being greater than the on wheel stance it will pop down on the mains and bounce back up. Most warbirds will like a wheel landing better. I find it is best to just dirty it up with the flaps and fly it to the ground with no defined flare or hold off.. It leads to a faster landing speed but generally will not result in a bounce..

Rb landing (0 min 29 sec)
Rickster is offline Find More Posts by Rickster

Quick Reply