logo
Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2015, 11:57 AM
LegalVideoDude is offline
Find More Posts by LegalVideoDude
President - NeST-RC
LegalVideoDude's Avatar
United States, IN, Fortville
Joined Aug 2015
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahatton View Post
How did you bend the wing tube in flight?
After pulling up fairly hard to do a few snap rolls, my camera-man noticed that the airplane had some "dihedral" in the wing as it was coming toward us. I promptly landed and pulled the wings off. I'd estimate that the aluminum tube was bent about 5 degrees on the left side, maybe 1 or 2 degrees on the right. It was a bear to get out of the fuse. I was actually able to straighten it and flew another couple of (subdued) flights. We have a fun fly coming up and I wanted to get some landing practice in with it.

I just placed the order for a 25mm x 23mm x 1000mm carbon fiber tube from Fly Carbon USA. $32.50 plus $11 shipping. They will cut it for another $1, but I have a power miter saw. It needs to be cut to about 35 inches (890mm).
LegalVideoDude is offline Find More Posts by LegalVideoDude
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-23-2015, 12:24 AM
jahatton is offline
Find More Posts by jahatton
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
jahatton's Avatar
Hope, British Columbia
Joined Sep 2007
527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalVideoDude View Post
After pulling up fairly hard to do a few snap rolls, my camera-man noticed that the airplane had some "dihedral" in the wing as it was coming toward us. I promptly landed and pulled the wings off. I'd estimate that the aluminum tube was bent about 5 degrees on the left side, maybe 1 or 2 degrees on the right. It was a bear to get out of the fuse. I was actually able to straighten it and flew another couple of (subdued) flights. We have a fun fly coming up and I wanted to get some landing practice in with it.

I just placed the order for a 25mm x 23mm x 1000mm carbon fiber tube from Fly Carbon USA. $32.50 plus $11 shipping. They will cut it for another $1, but I have a power miter saw. It needs to be cut to about 35 inches (890mm).
That is scary! I read the latest review on HobbyKing and really wonder where they get their stock? Not consistent!
jahatton is offline Find More Posts by jahatton
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:56 AM
LegalVideoDude is offline
Find More Posts by LegalVideoDude
President - NeST-RC
LegalVideoDude's Avatar
United States, IN, Fortville
Joined Aug 2015
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahatton View Post
That is scary! I read the latest review on HobbyKing and really wonder where they get their stock? Not consistent!
Pretty sure mine is the Aeroplus ARF with aluminum spar and landing gear subbed in for the carbon fiber parts. While the build "heft" is a bit light for a model of this size, the build quality is excellent. My Yak 55M of the same size was built with heavier plywood on the "main" structure members. I'm a bit concerned how it will hold up long term, or if (heaven forbid) I have a hard landing. All in all, for what I paid, I am still very happy.
LegalVideoDude is offline Find More Posts by LegalVideoDude
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:15 PM
Wefinance01 is offline
Find More Posts by Wefinance01
Registered User
Wefinance01's Avatar
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Jun 2010
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalVideoDude View Post
Pretty sure mine is the Aeroplus ARF with aluminum spar and landing gear subbed in for the carbon fiber parts. While the build "heft" is a bit light for a model of this size, the build quality is excellent. My Yak 55M of the same size was built with heavier plywood on the "main" structure members. I'm a bit concerned how it will hold up long term, or if (heaven forbid) I have a hard landing. All in all, for what I paid, I am still very happy.
Did yours come with the stripes on the bottom of the wings. i believe mine is also an Aeroplus or maybe goldwing...my wings is standard black with the logo. So far i have spent $ on spinner, elevator tube, main spar, and landing gear...it would have been nice to get all these things at one location to save on shipping. In my opinion it is a good airframe, but i would have just gone with all those parts already included to save time and headache. It would have been around $569 total. I just dont see how this kit could fly with the thin aluminum spar. Its a dissaster waiting to happen as mine was close to breaking with one high speed banking turn.
Wefinance01 is offline Find More Posts by Wefinance01
Last edited by Wefinance01; 09-23-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:26 PM
LegalVideoDude is offline
Find More Posts by LegalVideoDude
President - NeST-RC
LegalVideoDude's Avatar
United States, IN, Fortville
Joined Aug 2015
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wefinance01 View Post
Did yours come with the stripes on the bottom of the wings. i believe mine is also an Aeroplus or maybe goldwing...my wings is standard black with the logo. So far i have spent $ on spinner, elevator tube, main spar, and landing gear...it would have been nice to get all these things at one location to save on shipping. In my opinion it is a good airframe, but i would have just gone with all those parts already included to save time and headache. It would have been around $569 total. I just dont see how this kit could fly with the thin aluminum spar. Its a dissaster waiting to happen as mine was close to breaking with one high speed banking turn.
Bottom of the main wings are black with a white "Sbach 342" on one side. Bottom of the stabs are red. I bought a $22 spinner from China. I am running with the aluminum gear. Main spar is costing me $46. I'm still at around $400 total for the airframe.
LegalVideoDude is offline Find More Posts by LegalVideoDude
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:57 PM
molive is offline
Find More Posts by molive
Registered User
Joined Aug 2014
3 Posts
Hi Wefinance01,
I have installed an eme 70 in my sbach also. Have you had an problems with over heating. What have you done for air exits on the fuse? Are you able to post photos. Thanks in advance.
Matt
molive is offline Find More Posts by molive
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:56 AM
LegalVideoDude is offline
Find More Posts by LegalVideoDude
President - NeST-RC
LegalVideoDude's Avatar
United States, IN, Fortville
Joined Aug 2015
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molive View Post
Hi Wefinance01,
I have installed an eme 70 in my sbach also. Have you had an problems with over heating. What have you done for air exits on the fuse? Are you able to post photos. Thanks in advance.
Matt
There is an opening below the cavity for the muffler canister, about 4" x 2.5". It is covered over with monokote, but I cut away the monokote and cut up a DVD case to make a rectangle of plastic about 1/4" larger than that opening. I cut vent slots in that part and screwed it to the bottom of the fuse. I will post a picture when I get home tonight.
LegalVideoDude is offline Find More Posts by LegalVideoDude
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:11 PM
molive is offline
Find More Posts by molive
Registered User
Joined Aug 2014
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalVideoDude View Post
There is an opening below the cavity for the muffler canister, about 4" x 2.5". It is covered over with monokote, but I cut away the monokote and cut up a DVD case to make a rectangle of plastic about 1/4" larger than that opening. I cut vent slots in that part and screwed it to the bottom of the fuse. I will post a picture when I get home tonight.
That is a great idea, thank you. might have to steal one of my daughters dvds
molive is offline Find More Posts by molive
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:03 PM
Wefinance01 is offline
Find More Posts by Wefinance01
Registered User
Wefinance01's Avatar
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Jun 2010
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molive View Post
Hi Wefinance01,
I have installed an eme 70 in my sbach also. Have you had an problems with over heating. What have you done for air exits on the fuse? Are you able to post photos. Thanks in advance.
Matt
I have no problems with overheating. The EME is a great choice and fits perfect inside the cowl. Its got a great vertical acceleration and low in vibration. What prop are you using.?
Wefinance01 is offline Find More Posts by Wefinance01
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:21 PM
molive is offline
Find More Posts by molive
Registered User
Joined Aug 2014
3 Posts
I'm looking forward to flying with it. Perfect fit in the model. I'm running a 24x 10 at the moment and will see how that goes. Its my first gasser and I'm loving it so far. Love how easy the engine starts and it sounds awesome.
molive is offline Find More Posts by molive
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:40 PM
LegalVideoDude is offline
Find More Posts by LegalVideoDude
President - NeST-RC
LegalVideoDude's Avatar
United States, IN, Fortville
Joined Aug 2015
24 Posts
I bought a 25mm carbon fiber tube to replace the aluminum wing spar that bent. It's about .2mm too large in diameter. I found that steel 3/4" electrical conduit has a diameter of about 23.5mm. I place 2 layers of gaffers tape at several places along the length of the conduit and it fits perfectly. The steel tube is about 6 oz. heavier than the aluminum, but I don't think it will bend under g-stresses.
LegalVideoDude is offline Find More Posts by LegalVideoDude
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:33 PM
Todua 77 is offline
Find More Posts by Todua 77
Registered User
Todua 77's Avatar
Joined Jul 2015
68 Posts
Hey guys!
I need a HELP!
Which engine is the best for this Sbach 342 50cc plane? I am little bit confused, there around some people are using 50cc, some 55cc or 60cc engines. I will be really glad guys if you will give me some advise. I want to build that bird for slow-low and hard 3D Fly or something.
Thank in advance
Todua 77 is offline Find More Posts by Todua 77
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:04 PM
closetguy is offline
Find More Posts by closetguy
Registered User
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
3,622 Posts
If yours is like most you will need to add weight to the nose if you use a 55-60 single.Best to use a 70 twin for the added weight that your going to need.
closetguy is offline Find More Posts by closetguy
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:45 AM
Todua 77 is offline
Find More Posts by Todua 77
Registered User
Todua 77's Avatar
Joined Jul 2015
68 Posts
Now i am more confused. I thought,that the 60cc might be heavy for this size plane and now we are talking even about 70cc twin? I have already ``extreme flight extra 91`` with 70cc twin engine and now i wanted to build some 50cc plane, which is smaller and cheaper and it was going to be a plane, letīs say like for more frequent flights...
Todua 77 is offline Find More Posts by Todua 77
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:24 PM
krxprt is offline
Find More Posts by krxprt
Registered User
krxprt's Avatar
United States, MI, Davisburg
Joined Jan 2011
1,270 Posts
300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todua 77 View Post
Now i am more confused. I thought,that the 60cc might be heavy for this size plane and now we are talking even about 70cc twin? I have already ``extreme flight extra 91`` with 70cc twin engine and now i wanted to build some 50cc plane, which is smaller and cheaper and it was going to be a plane, letīs say like for more frequent flights...
You have a 91" and you are messing with this plane? You think it's cheaper you're going to put cheaper servos cheaper prop cheaper engine with less power and all you will be is disappointed with the way it flies. There is a reason your 91" was more expensive and that was to get the level of flight characteristics that it has.
krxprt is offline Find More Posts by krxprt
Reply With Quote



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools