Find More Posts by Zee
Zee
Super Contributor
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Joined Jan 2007
440 Posts
Re: Moki 210 questions/issues

Joe AP,
I fly at 7,000 ' elevation, every Moki I broke in at No nitro but it run best with 10% Powermaster. Dont know why , dut it did.
Zee
Zee is offline Find More Posts by Zee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
RC Enthusiast
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Jan 2006
8,332 Posts

Well there you go. At elevation the higher nitro might run better because the compression ratio might be lower. It is less dense air. First time I ever thought about that. My field is about 800 feet ASL.
JoeAirPort is offline Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
Old 01-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Find More Posts by nesikachad
Crashing sucks!
Sturgis, South Dakota
Joined Jun 2007
1,042 Posts

Static compression ratio won't change regardless of whether your at the beach or on the moon as it is the mechanical/volumetric relationship between bore/stroke/compression height, chamber volume, ring height, and head gasket thickness. It also means little because dynamic compression is what makes an engine run as it factors in the actual physical exertion placed on the intake charge during the compression stroke of the engine.

Air thins out at altitude and this lowers power output. We all know this. Nitromethane is 56% oxygen by volume so it effectively becomes a "chemical supercharger" much in the same way nitrous oxide does. (excluding the -120F temps that nitrous boils at when it hits the atmosphere)

So, on paper it stands to reason that if an engine makes "X" power at sea level, it will take a dosage of nitro to make the same power at high elevation. The nitro essentially just brings the engine back to sea level.

Hope this helped someone a little.
nesikachad is offline Find More Posts by nesikachad
Old 01-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
RC Enthusiast
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Jan 2006
8,332 Posts

Except this engine was not designed to run on nitro. It was never in the equation when they designed it in Hungary. So all it does is gobble fuel and create heat. Also it may change the timing and cause it to perform less than optimal. 0% nitro ran great. I used to like not having to buy 15+ a gallon fuel. I could get it for just over $9 a gallon and it used less fuel. Ran awesome. Can't see where you can lose with that fuel. I used to love the K&B 1L plugs too. $2.75 a piece. It was a cheap engine to keep running for me.
JoeAirPort is offline Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
Old 01-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Find More Posts by flatspinjim
Ft Lupton CO
Joined Nov 2008
2,690 Posts

I never did tach mine, but it did have more power with a little nitro. I ran it on zero % nitro and it ran great, but had a little more zip on it with 10%. Ofcourse that was before anything with nitro went sky high in price. Either way it's a great running engine.
flatspinjim is offline Find More Posts by flatspinjim
Old 01-12-2009, 01:07 AM
Find More Posts by 2walla
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
2,312 Posts

I ran mine on 10% red max with a fox idle bar long plug. Liked to be wet to start and ran perfectly for hundreds of flights. Only time it ever quit was when I was having too much fun and ran the tank dry.
2walla is offline Find More Posts by 2walla
Old 01-12-2009, 03:31 AM
Find More Posts by wingwall
Edgewood, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,163 Posts

What WangoTango and flatspinjim said!!!
Loved my Moki 210, but I ultimately went to gas engines. I kept it simple with manufactured recommended fuel setup and K&B 1L glow plug. Was difficult to find fuel with no nitro, so ran it on 5%, and 10% when I couldn't get 5%. It ran great!! (once broken-in and leaned out) Quick response and low idle. Took about 2 gallons in break-in before it was running really well, that is, to fly, and better than 5 gallons to where it was super smooth. It would then just start and run using the grab-the-spinner, rotate-forward-to-compression, and then spin-it-backwards technique. It would bounce off the back compression and start right up. Of course it had to be almost flooded with fuel, ...and I did flood it a few sometimes to where it wouldn't start, such as on some hot days. It definitely liked to be wet to start. I had it in a Midwest Extra 300L (80" at ~16 lbs), which was designed by Mike McConville many years ago for the Moki 1.80. I developed a technique of placing a piece of tapered pipe insulation foam into the inlet to seal the inlet, then rotating the prop forward about 6 or 8 full rotations (no glo power during this, just to choke it). I used the foam plug because, with the cowl in place, I could not put my finger over the inlet to choke it. When the foam plug was pulled I would check to see how wet it was, or if it was even wet. If it was, and/or if fuel dripped out of the carb, then I knew it was good to go.

I ran that engine and plane with a 20x8 wood prop. Vertical climb was no problem, on this 16 lb plane, but downlines were too fast compared to the gas planes I was competing against. Downlines were too rushed, and I noticed that the gas planes got some breaking off the prop. I went to gas when I stepped up to a used BME 102cc powered Radiocraft Extra 330LX (35% at 27 lbs). The BME was pretty fuel efficient, and I found that it didn't use much more in the volume amount of gas as the Moki 2.10 used in volume amount of methane fuel on a flight. Of course the Moki 2.10 uses a lot more fuel than the Moki 1.80. I retired the Moki, but it is one great glo engine. The best glo engine I have ever owned.
wingwall is online now Find More Posts by wingwall
Old 01-12-2009, 03:40 AM
Find More Posts by wingwall
Edgewood, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,163 Posts

Slight correction in my last. The Moki 2.10 is the best 2-cycle glo engine I have ever owned. For 4-cycles I love my YS-91FZ and YS-110FZ.
wingwall is online now Find More Posts by wingwall
Old 01-12-2009, 08:10 AM
Find More Posts by nesikachad
Crashing sucks!
Sturgis, South Dakota
Joined Jun 2007
1,042 Posts

I have to admit being "attached" to mine also. I've never heard anyone gripe about them or a YS.

Cool stuff.
nesikachad is offline Find More Posts by nesikachad
Old 07-12-2019, 10:53 PM
Find More Posts by Broken Wings
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Jan 2009
127 Posts
What is the best muffler for the 2.10...I want to use one on a 30cc Profile model. I'd like to use a regular "Sport" style like the Bisson or a OS 855.
Broken Wings is offline Find More Posts by Broken Wings
Old 07-13-2019, 06:20 AM
Find More Posts by rooman
They're get'n lower mate.....
United States, PA, Home
Joined Nov 2006
3,067 Posts
PM sent John
rooman is offline Find More Posts by rooman

Quick Reply