logo
Old 09-15-2016, 04:11 AM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I used to hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
I am a surgeon, and have been flying model airplanes since age 5. I am now 45 years of age, I did take a break from age 18 til age 39. For past 6 years, I have progressed with the technology, and when I got back in, I went with nitro.

I was setting up a 30 cc nitro engine, and placed the glow plug starter on, and the engine snapped on me, and the prop bit my finger. Hurt like a MF..., cut me too, but I did not loose anything. Since then, I became more "AWARE" of the dangers. And as I got into bigger airplanes, and bigger engines, especially seeing bigger props, the presence of a GREATER problem, is there.

Recently, here, on FG, someone posted on the use of paint roller to flip the propeller. Kind of like the "chicken sticks" we used on nitros, at first, I was skeptical, but I recently started to use it, and it is incredible.

One more thing, if you do use a paint roller to flip your airplane, and for whatever reason the airplane comes forward, you can stick the paint roller forward as a last ditch effort, before it gets you. I am not recommending this, but if you had to pick saving your life or loss of limb, stick the paint roller into the spinning prop. Always, always, always, use an assistant to hold your airplane at the field. SO important.

Also, if you use an assistant, do not rev up your motor one more time, after you have run it up, and turn your back, and then you assistant walks away thinking you were ready.....
That is another problem, seen that happen before. Fortunately, the airplane sprung forward and no one was there, except for a fence, that damaged a wing and the prop, but no loss of life or limb.
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-15-2016, 07:27 AM
Find More Posts by GScott
United States, OH, Westerville
Joined Aug 2016
61 Posts
I recently finished my first gasser, a 55cc Slick. I use an assistant when one is available otherwise I tie it down. I also use a paint roller and it still scares me. I cant imagine flipping it by hand.

Orthobird, I'm guessing by your username that you're an orthopedic surgeon. If so, I don't understand why you stopped flying between age 18 and 39
GScott is offline Find More Posts by GScott
Old 09-15-2016, 08:04 AM
Find More Posts by CARS II
Go fly a jet today
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Oct 2014
531 Posts
I was thinking about that thread after reading this one, the paint roller has been working really good to start my 35 and I'm not going back to flip by hand, here it is for those that need some more convincing about safety in this hobby.

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...d.php?t=198271
CARS II is offline Find More Posts by CARS II
Old 09-15-2016, 08:06 AM
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post
I recently finished my first gasser, a 55cc Slick. I use an assistant when one is available otherwise I tie it down. I also use a paint roller and it still scares me. I cant imagine flipping it by hand.

Orthobird, I'm guessing by your username that you're an orthopedic surgeon. If so, I don't understand why you stopped flying between age 18 and 39
LOL!! Looks like you know why!!!
Old 09-15-2016, 01:21 PM
Find More Posts by scootr
2 many planes 2 little time
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Sep 2015
1,063 Posts
Some like to pooh-pooh the idea but, electric starters are easy & safe to use.
scootr is offline Find More Posts by scootr
Old 09-15-2016, 03:58 PM
Find More Posts by 74Ranch
United States, VA, Midlothian
Joined Sep 2013
442 Posts
they can pooh-pooh all day long, I too use an electric starter, thought of getting messed up or losing a finger or two is not worth it. besides I still would rather wipe my own butt with my own hand and not a nurse.
74Ranch is offline Find More Posts by 74Ranch
Old 09-15-2016, 11:06 PM
Joined Sep 2015
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Ranch View Post
they can pooh-pooh all day long, I too use an electric starter, thought of getting messed up or losing a finger or two is not worth it. besides I still would rather wipe my own butt with my own hand and not a nurse.
yeah, what he said, What? WAIT! Nurses wipe your but!? Oh...hhhh. That's why those guys flip barehanded.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:07 AM
Find More Posts by CARS II
Go fly a jet today
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Oct 2014
531 Posts
Yeah! bath for me
CARS II is offline Find More Posts by CARS II
Old 09-16-2016, 09:02 AM
Joined Sep 2015
1,063 Posts
Well, we've successfully trashed another thread
Old 09-16-2016, 01:29 PM
Find More Posts by rcflip - Ozzy
Suspended Account
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jan 2006
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhal22 View Post
I fly 100cc/170cc and cannot imagine not restraining a plane.
I fly 11.8cc glow and cannot imagine not restraining a plane.
rcflip - Ozzy is offline Find More Posts by rcflip - Ozzy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 09-16-2016, 03:24 PM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
Big gassers are pretty easy to hand/ stick flip to start. The small crappy gassers, and glow engines could use a starter. I will admit, I have a G-62 that likes to backfire if you don't flip it with major gusto! All my other CDI engines start so easy. Choke, flip flip flip, unchoke, flip flip PURRRRR>........ My DA 120 does wake me up every time I start it, especially after starting my pussycat DA-100!
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 09-16-2016, 04:19 PM
Find More Posts by rcflip - Ozzy
Suspended Account
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jan 2006
336 Posts
Funboy be careful with them field poles, i agree that they are a good thing but the spacing needs to be adjusted for different sized aircraft. What i mean is smaller glow models will differ to larger gas models.
rcflip - Ozzy is offline Find More Posts by rcflip - Ozzy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 12-14-2016, 08:47 PM
Find More Posts by RICHMATH
FLYEMBIG
United States, UT, St George
Joined Apr 2014
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthobird View Post
I am a surgeon, and have been flying model airplanes since age 5. I am now 45 years of age, I did take a break from age 18 til age 39. For past 6 years, I have progressed with the technology, and when I got back in, I went with nitro.

I was setting up a 30 cc nitro engine, and placed the glow plug starter on, and the engine snapped on me, and the prop bit my finger. Hurt like a MF..., cut me too, but I did not loose anything. Since then, I became more "AWARE" of the dangers. And as I got into bigger airplanes, and bigger engines, especially seeing bigger props, the presence of a GREATER problem, is there.

Recently, here, on FG, someone posted on the use of paint roller to flip the propeller. Kind of like the "chicken sticks" we used on nitros, at first, I was skeptical, but I recently started to use it, and it is incredible.

One more thing, if you do use a paint roller to flip your airplane, and for whatever reason the airplane comes forward, you can stick the paint roller forward as a last ditch effort, before it gets you. I am not recommending this, but if you had to pick saving your life or loss of limb, stick the paint roller into the spinning prop. Always, always, always, use an assistant to hold your airplane at the field. SO important.

Also, if you use an assistant, do not rev up your motor one more time, after you have run it up, and turn your back, and then you assistant walks away thinking you were ready.....
That is another problem, seen that happen before. Fortunately, the airplane sprung forward and no one was there, except for a fence, that damaged a wing and the prop, but no loss of life or limb.

For those that are looking for a way to start your plane without loosing some fingers...its like the video says...."This thing really works!"

www.rollingchickenstick.com

r
RICHMATH is offline Find More Posts by RICHMATH
Old 12-14-2016, 09:08 PM
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
I have used chicken sticks in the past, not the one you posted Rich, but the ones, which is a wooded stick, with the clear plastic covering on it, and over time, with use, it gets to point, that you go to flip, and the cover comes of the wood core. But, with all fairness, I have not used the one you have mentioned in your post? Has anyone else purchased this one? Someone has to TOFTT, and report back.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:16 PM
Find More Posts by RICHMATH
FLYEMBIG
United States, UT, St George
Joined Apr 2014
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthobird View Post
I have used chicken sticks in the past, not the one you posted Rich, but the ones, which is a wooded stick, with the clear plastic covering on it, and over time, with use, it gets to point, that you go to flip, and the cover comes of the wood core. But, with all fairness, I have not used the one you have mentioned in your post? Has anyone else purchased this one? Someone has to TOFTT, and report back.

The web site has just opened. A select few have been sold prior to opening the site. All have given very favorable reviews of the Stick. I use to use an electric starter on my 120cc gasser and a welding glove on my 170cc..both methods are now retired. The ROLLING Chicken Stick is all I use now.

r
RICHMATH is offline Find More Posts by RICHMATH

Quick Reply