logo
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Find More Posts by Pittsflyboy
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Dec 2006
1,651 Posts
The 220 will be power house, you will love it. I'm guessing you are using the stock header drop?
Pittsflyboy is offline Find More Posts by Pittsflyboy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Find More Posts by Billy Bunter
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Apr 2008
94 Posts
I'm not sure what the stock drop is. The drop I requested was 140mm from the centre of the header exit to the centre of the cylinder(s).

Out of interest, which prop would you run? I plan on starting with a Mej 31x12 EVO L.
Billy Bunter is offline Find More Posts by Billy Bunter
Old 08-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Find More Posts by craig77
UK
Joined Jul 2006
837 Posts
Ohhhhhh! how Iam looking forward to putting this plane through its paces
craig77 is offline Find More Posts by craig77
Old 08-15-2012, 08:42 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bunter View Post
I'm not sure what the stock drop is. The drop I requested was 140mm from the centre of the header exit to the centre of the cylinder(s).

Out of interest, which prop would you run? I plan on starting with a Mej 31x12 EVO L.
I don't think that is near enough prop for a Mintor. I'm running a31-12-3bld. As for a 2bld I have had great results with Mej. 32-12.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:53 PM
Find More Posts by andresco
Flyin' Around
Joined Nov 2008
1 Posts
Wonderful plane, please let us know when you flight
andresco is offline Find More Posts by andresco
Old 08-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Find More Posts by hanspi
Joined May 2008
29 Posts
Hello

today I received my new Krill Extra made for DA200. See the new cowl and firewall. You are free order now.

Hanspeter
hanspi is offline Find More Posts by hanspi
Old 08-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Find More Posts by Pistolera
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2006
4,242 Posts
WOW!!! OK, what holds the top on? I can see screw holes in the back, but how about along the sides and across the front/top?

Earle
Pistolera is offline Find More Posts by Pistolera
Last edited by Pistolera; 08-22-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 08-22-2012, 01:07 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2006
837 Posts
you bugga! its a nice scheme hey!!
Old 09-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Find More Posts by vmatei
I Hate Winter
Montreal / Canada
Joined Jul 2010
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig77 View Post
you bugga! its a nice scheme hey!!
What you say about this one?
vmatei is offline Find More Posts by vmatei
Old 10-02-2012, 05:35 AM
Joined Apr 2008
94 Posts
Right then, I had to take something of a break from aeroplanes (and most other things) after I had to make a quick pit stop in hospital for surgery on one of my feet and then spend time laid up afterwards.

I’m slowly now getting back to things again (including being able to walk!) and after fitting the new stab and canopy (thank you , Ivo!) managed to fly the big Extra a couple of times in the last week, once at the Phoenix club and the other time at Damyns Hall (here in the UK).

So, I thought it was time for me to give an update on this. How have I been getting on with the big Krill? Well….

The Extra has now had about 16 flights on it and around 20 litres through the Mintor engine.

The engine is getting better and starting to deliver quite monster amounts of power. That said, it’s clearly still not fully run in and is also still set on the rich side, which is giving it a a somewhat hesitant throttle response, particularly when the engine is cold. I need to tune this out/up and after that I’m sure it will just get better again.

The prop I’m running now is the Mejzlick 30x13EVO L and I’m much preferring that over the Mejzlick 31x1EVO L. The pitch on the 31x12 was just a bit too low for the model to carry the sort of speed I like through schedule type work. Whereas, the 30x13 makes the aeroplane just that bit more zippy in the sky. Vertical performance is just stunning and there is clearly far more power on tap with this engine that the DA170 I’d been running in another 40%er over the last year.

The Mintor actually added a bit more nose weight than I was expecting and gave the model a fairly nose heavy CofG. Rather than start putting lead intot he stabs to balance the aeroplane out, I made up a nice carbon nomex mounting former for the Secraft battery beds, which I’ve epoxyed onto the fuselage former behind the canopy (image below). Thankfully I got my maths right and this added just the right amount of rearward weight to get a lovely neutral CofG. Inverted 45 degree climbs see the aeroplane pulling to earth ever so slightly. Upright and inverted flat spins with a bit of power are also VERY flat with an ultra-slow rate of descent, just like Craig’s Extra.

Moving away from the engine, the aeroplane is very smooth but at the same time highly 3D-able. I’ve found myself flying 3D on mid rates quite comfortably. The control surface authority is immense, particularly from the big ailerons, each running 4 servos.

With my Sukhoi 37% I learned its behaviour quite well and got to being able to nail snaps time after time, stopping at whatever point in a rotation I wanted to. Not so yet with the Extra. There is so much bite there I keep over rotating by about 180 degrees!

Another difference I’m seeing, is the way in which this model snaps evenly left or right under full power. The Sukhoi with the DA170 and 3 servos per aileron used to snap at different speeds left and right, when being nailed at full power. The Extra doesn’t seem to care which direction you snap in, it just dispatches the snaps at the same speed.

The rudder on the Extra seems to behave quite differently to anything I’ve flown before and I’m finding it lacking bite for aeros that require small inputs, like rolling circles and loops. At the same time, full stick inputs result in a massive response. Maybe it is just my flying style? I’m actually running not very much expo on the rudder and may program in some +ve exponential on my Futaba TX to increase the response around the stick centres.

On the last outing I allowed myself to get distracted (again) and this time forgotten to refuel the aeroplane before the first flight. I was tearing around the sky and then suddenly the engine just stopped! (Oh crap…!!!!)

I know from speaking to Craig that the Extra will glide a long way, so I deliberately allowed the Extra to glide a seriously long way out from the runway (beyond what I actually felt comfortable with) before turning back into wind to land. Despite this and the 2-3 pounds of extra engine weight my Extra is carrying over Craig’s, the Extra just flew on and on, into about a 20mph cross wind. It went the full length of the Damyns Hall cross wind runway (which is a runway for full sized aeroplanes) before finally rolling to a stop, around a 1/2 mile away from us! The Extra is a big model, but evidently it has got the wing loading and drag of a glider!

So, from here I’m focusing on tuning the engine up nicely now I’ve got a descent amount of fuel through it and starting to push the airframe more.

Despite its agility, I suspect I’ll probably use this model predominantly for precision type work and the Sukhoi and smaller 100cc Extra for 3D, ‘let’s go bonkers’ type stuff.

I’ll try and post up another flight report in a few weeks’ time.

B.
Last edited by Billy Bunter; 10-03-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:34 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,651 Posts
Billy,

Where are your rudder servos and what servos are you running on the ailerons? Why 4 on each? How many on the elevators? You are running my first choice with the Mintor 220. I have that engine on a Carf 3.3 Yak and love it. It is much more powerful than the DA 200.
Tom
Old 10-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Find More Posts by meloni.racing
Van Nuys, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,022 Posts
The Krill 41% and the M220 it's my dream plane!!! I love this engine (it hauls the 50% BH cub like a foamy with ZERO vibration..) and the Krill it's the sharpest airftame I ever seen....

well done!!!!!
meloni.racing is offline Find More Posts by meloni.racing
Old 10-03-2012, 11:52 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2006
837 Posts
we are running two Hitec 7990 servos in the regular position. plenty power!! i was fortunate enough to have the first 4 flights on this plane and yes its stunning....
Old 10-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Joined Apr 2008
94 Posts
Tom,

as Craig says, its a pair of Hitec 7990 on the rudder. There are x4 Hitec 7955s on each aileron and two of them on each elevator.All on 7 Volts.

Yes, the M220 is a BEAST!!!! I just need to get mine tuned up now for a sharper throttle response.

B.

Quick Reply