Old 03-26-2018, 01:43 PM
Find More Posts by wmat7039
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,279 Posts
Discussion
Transitioning from Scale Aerobatics to Turbines

Well...after 27 years flying Scale Aerobatics, the time has come for one to move on to more interesting and educational pursuits. Stagnation HAS ENDED!!

And so, here I am in a new phase of progression. In the past weeks, I have asked so many questions as a "newbie" and I must say, the response has been utterly positive. Venturing forth into new areas of modeling comes with uncertainties. I was told that I would be bored within a week.

Contrary to that opinion, having attended the Red Flag Jet event in Florida last week as a judge, I found/realized that Scale Aerobatics had LOST a certain amount of its precision when the organization abandoned the centering criteria. In addition, (as my friend, Charles, had pointed out on NUMEROUS occasions) loading up each maneuver with an excessive amount of elements ALSO had the same effect of loss of precision.

After judging at the jet event, I could see that the Pattern pilots (who flew turbines) definitely had more of an understanding of what was required in presenting center maneuvers and also the overall geometry.

My journey into turbines is now beginning with the first step.

I returned from Florida with a Leonardo jet....built for precision aerobatics and I will be documenting this journey using this media so that others who may be contemplating a similar fate will have a "first hand" experience of what to expect. Although many may "brand" turbines as expensive, when I checked out the actual expenditure, I realized that it is not much different from a fully decked out Carden Pro with a 200 engine.

My Leonardo was purchased used and I am happy with the condition of the aircraft, which included servos, Demon Cortex Pro gyro, German Airtech (pneumatic) landing gear with all wiring and controls already installed.

MUCH MORE to follow as we go along. I don't see myself getting into the air until after the Joe Nall event, since we do the embroidery for the event and my next entire month will be all work & no play.

Here are shots with the Leonardo inside my van and also at home with the vertical stab installed.

Feel free to ask any questions as we progress and if I don't have an answer, I'll get it and post here.
Wayne
wmat7039 is offline Find More Posts by wmat7039
Last edited by wmat7039; 03-26-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-26-2018, 02:21 PM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
9,645 Posts
You're going to love it Wayne
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 03-26-2018, 02:41 PM
Find More Posts by Colton
Now taking maneuver requests!
United States, GA, Smyrna
Joined Mar 2010
2,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmat7039 View Post
Well...after 27 years flying Scale Aerobatics, the time has come for one to move on to more interesting and educational pursuits. Stagnation HAS ENDED!!

And so, here I am in a new phase of progression. In the past weeks, I have asked so many questions as a "newbie" and I must say, the response has been utterly positive. Venturing forth into new areas of modeling comes with uncertainties. I was told that I would be bored within a week.

Contrary to that opinion, having attended the Red Flag Jet event in Florida last week as a judge, I found/realized that Scale Aerobatics had LOST a certain amount of its precision when the organization abandoned the centering criteria. In addition, (as my friend, Charles, had pointed out on NUMEROUS occasions) loading up each maneuver with an excessive amount of elements ALSO had the same effect of loss of precision.

After judging at the jet event, I could see that the Pattern pilots (who flew turbines) definitely had more of an understanding of what was required in presenting center maneuvers and also the overall geometry.

My journey into turbines is now beginning with the first step.

I returned from Florida with a Leonardo jet....built for precision aerobatics and I will be documenting this journey using this media so that others who may be contemplating a similar fate will have a "first hand" experience of what to expect. Although many may "brand" turbines as expensive, when I checked out the actual expenditure, I realized that it is not much different from a fully decked out Carden Pro with a 200 engine.

My Leonardo was purchased used and I am happy with the condition of the aircraft, which included servos, Demon Cortex Pro gyro, German Airtech (pneumatic) landing gear with all wiring and controls already installed.

MUCH MORE to follow as we go along. I don't see myself getting into the air until after the Joe Nall event, since we do the embroidery for the event and my next entire month will be all work & no play.

Here are shots with the Leonardo inside my van and also at home with the vertical stab installed.

Feel free to ask any questions as we progress and if I don't have an answer, I'll get it and post here.
Wayne
Very cool Wayne!
Colton is offline Find More Posts by Colton
Old 03-26-2018, 03:07 PM
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
Attaboy Wayne!

I'd love to come check this out, where do you plan on flying this beautiful bird?

I imagine the new NGMARC field will be able to accomodate the Leonardo after the runway extension is put in.
Vapor Trails is offline Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 03-26-2018, 03:11 PM
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
You're going to love it Wayne
Thanks... I'm really looking forward to it. A LOT of things done differently. I won't be needing props or spinners!!
Wayne
Old 03-26-2018, 03:12 PM
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
Very cool Wayne!
I'm still coming out to Tucson in October!
Old 03-26-2018, 03:14 PM
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails View Post
Attaboy Wayne!

I'd love to come check this out, where do you plan on flying this beautiful bird?

I imagine the new NGMARC field will be able to accomodate the Leonardo after the runway extension is put in.
Thanks....More than likely, I'll be flying at Georgia Jets.
W
Old 03-26-2018, 03:23 PM
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
That is a haul but a lot of cool guys fly out there!
Have they set any event dates for 2018? I am not flying turbines but I'd love to get down there for a visit.
Vapor Trails is offline Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 03-26-2018, 03:23 PM
Find More Posts by brokenprops
United States, OH, New Carlisle
Joined Jan 2014
537 Posts
I myself have been flying aerobatic 3D planes. Have the urge to fly try and own a turbine. But am unsure how they fly compared to what I’m use to like a yak . I know there faster , But what are the major differences and what night in reguards to flying jet versus what I currently fly
brokenprops is offline Find More Posts by brokenprops
Old 03-26-2018, 03:28 PM
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails View Post
That is a haul but a lot of cool guys fly out there!
Have they set any event dates for 2018? I am not flying turbines but I'd love to get down there for a visit.
We also do the embroidery for their Super Jets South event and it is usually at the end of September. I am not sure at this time if it will be the same. It is a well attended event.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:41 PM
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenprops View Post
I myself have been flying aerobatic 3D planes. Have the urge to fly try and own a turbine. But am unsure how they fly compared to what Iím use to like a yak . I know there faster , But what are the major differences and what night in reguards to flying jet versus what I currently fly
Having seen, observed and judged the jets, the MAIN difference I've noticed (pertaining to throttle) is the "lag" time between stick command and actual spool up to power as compared to prop aircraft.

There are other differences and they are certainly not minimal......i.e. The jets will NOT perform as you do in 3D, is NOT as forgiving when stalled....You can, however, utilize "thrust vectoring" which will give a certain amount of 3D leeway.

I do not think it is fair to compare the two disciplines (3D props/aerobatic jets). I saw lighter wing loaded jets perform at a very slow speed with a little flaps in, at the other end of the spectrum, I observed scale jets with a heavier loading having to fly at a faster pace. Maybe it was the pilots etc...but everyone did not mess around with these airplanes.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:59 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
4,444 Posts
I like the color scheme on that one Wayne, some are just, well, not as sleek looking.

One thing you'll have to watch as you get it put together is that with no fuel in it, it wants to sit on it's tail since the main gear is pretty much right on the CG. While it's primarily an annoyance, ask AJ about it....
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 03-26-2018, 04:47 PM
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
I like the color scheme on that one Wayne, some are just, well, not as sleek looking.

One thing you'll have to watch as you get it put together is that with no fuel in it, it wants to sit on it's tail since the main gear is pretty much right on the CG. While it's primarily an annoyance, ask AJ about it....
Thanks for the info, and, Yes....I do like the color scheme, which only needs a little yellow to finish it like how I really want it.

I observed AJ and Kal R flying the same plane and that motivated me to move in that direction. AJ has helped me with pertinent information and Iím SURE Andrew is gonna be tired of answering further questions. Danny Diaz of FlightWerkz also has been extremely patient in steering me with the various options.

In addition, two Scale Aerobatics pilots who have also ventured into jets (Ramon Dezubiria & Alvaro Yanguas from FL) have been patient with my questions.

I am sure that there will be many more pilots who will help with info when I need it.
Wayne
Old 03-26-2018, 07:31 PM
Find More Posts by eheliflyer
TEAM FUTABA
Mansfield Oh
Joined May 2006
1,441 Posts
Wayne,

As I have told you before, you will love the Leonardo! It seems like the Redflag event is really gaining traction, maybe the "other" organization should try and harness that momentum and incorporate it into their organization.
eheliflyer is offline Find More Posts by eheliflyer
Old 03-26-2018, 07:43 PM
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eheliflyer View Post
Wayne,

As I have told you before, you will love the Leonardo! It seems like the Redflag event is really gaining traction, maybe the "other" organization should try and harness that momentum and incorporate it into their organization.
Hey Mr. C.... I've noted you above in my first post regarding "Loss of precision." I KNOW you kept telling me.....
Sorry for being such a "hard head," but one has to step outside and look inside to certain realities......They still don't see it, so, I guess......

Europe will take over eventually....put that in your notes & check back with me in 4 years!!
Wayne

Quick Reply